Total Noobie Question about Wattage and The Nautilus Mini

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello Vaping Underground!!
I just received my eLeaf in the mail... I bought the Nautilus Mini last week hearing these are a couple made in heaven for a noob like me. I just made the Full switch on Dec 3 2014. So Im am TOTALLY stoked about the Upgrade.....
How Ever.. I attach my mini to my eLeaf Vape it a bit at 4.3 volts ( as Im used to that from my first kit )
Then I say I got more power, I m ready to use itI bring it up to 5.3 volts which is 14.1 watts and OOOO NOO
BAD BURNED TASTE OMG.
Im vaping a
70/30 VG/PG

I brought her back to 12 watts 4.8 volts and its far better.. HOWEVER, I was vaping that on my Tesla Sidewinder II and Thought I was going to be able to customize more. Even just a little.

So I guess my question is: I have the mini BVC 1.8 ohm Will I be able to cusomize this Vape to higher wattages or no And If No, What tank do you all suggest I try :) Thank you for Listening :)
xmqDCoglE8

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
From what I hear, the Istick tends to run at higher wattages/voltages than you set it for when it has a full charge. Start at a low setting and work your way up until you get a tasty vape. Don't try to guess at a setting until you have some experience with it.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The iSticks tend to fire a bit hot, so back down on the watts to 11-12. 70VG juice is thick, so you might need to close down the airlfow by a setting to get more juice to the coil head. If the juice is cold, warm it up a bit first.

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
From what I hear, the Istick tends to run at higher wattages/voltages than you set it for when it has a full charge. Start at a low setting and work your way up until you get a tasty vape. Don't try to guess at a setting until you have some experience with it.
Ahhhh Okay :)Thank you!

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The iSticks tend to fire a bit hot, so back down on the watts to 11-12. 70VG juice is thick, so you might need to close down the airlfow by a setting to get more juice to the coil head. If the juice is cold, warm it up a bit first.
Thank You SOO much for this Tip!!

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wanted to say congrats on making the switch to vaping and welcome to vaping underground! You'll find this place is a treasure chest full of great vaping information and great people to help you along the way. People will also tell you I am long winded and wordy and this is going to be no exception. But I mean well.... :)

As said above....you've got a thick juice...anytime the VG level is above 50/50 it's going to take a little longer to wick and work it's way threw to the coils on clearomizers. With the smaller clearo heads like the ones you've got you need to give it a little time. Like said above, you can close down the air flow and give it a few unpowered primer puffs to help the juice wick, especially when chain vaping, that can help avoid dry hits.

Also, with the BVC coils....when you change your coil head and put a new one in your tank you can put a drop or two of juice in the top of the head around the sides...don't drop it in the center of the coil. But adding a couple drops from the top and help a new coil prime faster and be ready to vape sooner. A new head needs time to soak up the juice when you change it, I know it's hard to wait but it's better to give it fifteen minutes to really take in the juice You never want to let those coils get dry....once you get a "burned" hit from those heads it's impossible to get that horrible taste out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while higher wattage means more vapor, it doesn't necessarily mean "better" vapor.

I have a rDNA for example, it goes up to 40 watts. A Kayfun Lite Plus V2 is my go to ADV. I can build any coil down to a .5 ohm in it up to about 3 ohms and run it all the way up to 40 watts no problem. But for me personally, I find a 1.35 ohm 7/8 wrap 2.4 mm inner diameter 28 gauge Kanthal coil set to 12 watts gives me my best vape. This is a very specific vape set up yes, and all of my details aren't totally important but I wanted to give an example and I have only myself to use. My point is I've tried a bunch of different set ups and I find this makes me happiest. for you it might be the same coil but at 15 watts.

I've heard if you let those coils soak up the juice and really wick good you can run those coils over 15+ watts no problem as long as you don't let them run dry....I haven't tried to go that high but play with the different wattages and find the setting that you like best...That will be your sweet spot.

Happy Vaping and best of luck...hope this helps and once again welcome!

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wanted to say congrats on making the switch to vaping and welcome to vaping underground! You'll find this place is a treasure chest full of great vaping information and great people to help you along the way. People will also tell you I am long winded and wordy and this is going to be no exception. But I mean well.... :)

As said above....you've got a thick juice...anytime the VG level is above 50/50 it's going to take a little longer to wick and work it's way threw to the coils on clearomizers. With the smaller clearo heads like the ones you've got you need to give it a little time. Like said above, you can close down the air flow and give it a few unpowered primer puffs to help the juice wick, especially when chain vaping, that can help avoid dry hits.

Also, with the BVC coils....when you change your coil head and put a new one in your tank you can put a drop or two of juice in the top of the head around the sides...don't drop it in the center of the coil. But adding a couple drops from the top and help a new coil prime faster and be ready to vape sooner. A new head needs time to soak up the juice when you change it, I know it's hard to wait but it's better to give it fifteen minutes to really take in the juice You never want to let those coils get dry....once you get a "burned" hit from those heads it's impossible to get that horrible taste out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while higher wattage means more vapor, it doesn't necessarily mean "better" vapor.

I have a rDNA for example, it goes up to 40 watts. A Kayfun Lite Plus V2 is my go to ADV. I can build any coil down to a .5 ohm in it up to about 3 ohms and run it all the way up to 40 watts no problem. But for me personally, I find a 1.35 ohm 7/8 wrap 2.4 mm inner diameter 28 gauge Kanthal coil set to 12 watts gives me my best vape. This is a very specific vape set up yes, and all of my details aren't totally important but I wanted to give an example and I have only myself to use. My point is I've tried a bunch of different set ups and I find this makes me happiest. for you it might be the same coil but at 15 watts.

I've heard if you let those coils soak up the juice and really wick good you can run those coils over 15+ watts no problem as long as you don't let them run dry....I haven't tried to go that high but play with the different wattages and find the setting that you like best...That will be your sweet spot.

Happy Vaping and best of luck...hope this helps and once again welcome!
Thank you So much!! I liked your Detailed Explanation! Great to meet You!!

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am glad I it helped and wasn't too wordy...I pulled a nautilus out of moth balls and put a BVC coil in it to make sure I wasn't giving bad advice, I don't want to steer anyone wrong...another thing I did is since it takes a long time for the juice to run threw the mesh on top I dripped juice onto the sides where the holes are to feed juice to the coil...we used to do this priming cartos....if you do that you'll see the coil head suck the juice in. It helps cut the wait time in half.

Happy vaping :)

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree on the IStick firing hot. I can go 15-17 watts on my IPV2 but not above 11-12 on the iStick.

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree on the IStick firing hot. I can go 15-17 watts on my IPV2 but not above 11-12 on the iStick.
Yes! This lill guy is great but the brains just arent accurate. I have seen folks vaping at 17+ Watts on the Nauty Mini. I still like my eleaf, I just wish it was accurate.

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am glad I it helped and wasn't too wordy...I pulled a nautilus out of moth balls and put a BVC coil in it to make sure I wasn't giving bad advice, I don't want to steer anyone wrong...another thing I did is since it takes a long time for the juice to run threw the mesh on top I dripped juice onto the sides where the holes are to feed juice to the coil...we used to do this priming cartos....if you do that you'll see the coil head suck the juice in. It helps cut the wait time in half.

Happy vaping :)

TaraVapeZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just changed my coil and did that! Walked away for a bit then came back to an AWESOME vape :)

VU Sponsors