Become a Patron!

Too low of a wattage danger?

D-Man

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've read many posts concerning the dangers of exceeding the recommended battery draw. This concern is covered quite well in a number of discussions. But my question is this...
Is there a danger in vaping with too low of a wattage setting even when your MOD is capable of much higher? I have some juice that vapes best at around 10 watts with a 0.6ohm build. It does fire the coils very well. I know that goes against the general consensus about sub ohm vaping, but this particular juice is very strong. I have seen pre-build coils recommend at least 15 watts on a 0.5ohm coil. So is there a danger vaping lower than that?
My setup in question is:
iPV D2 (capable of 7 - 75 watts) with a 18650 35A 2500mAh 3.7v battery
Billow V2
Dual coil kanthal build at 0.62ohm

I have also ordered a 18650 35A 2900mAh 3.7v battery

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
6.2?! I'm assuming you mean .62. A 6.2-ohm coil would be a monster.

But no, there's no risk to running at a lower wattage than is normal for a coil.

The wattage recommendations for pre-made coils are guidelines for where it's meant to perform best at. They're there to let you know how much power you can put into it without burning it up.

D-Man

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sorry, typ-o: 0.62 ohm build

nophix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nope, you're fine. Battery damage happens when you push them too hard. You aren't working that battery at all.

There are optimum ranges that batteries will pull their full potential, but you won't hurt it running under those.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You will find that with the D2 you aren't going to get 10 watts with a .62 ohm resistance in power mode. The specs call for 3.6V-7.0V in power mode and 1.0V-7.0V in Joules mode. In testing mine I've found that with a freshly charged battery 3.85V is as low as it will regulate (I only tested with a .5 coil). With .62 that's going to result in about 24 watts. You can dial the wattage down but the hit won't be any weaker. You can however switch to joules mode where it will output down to 1 volt and just adjust the joules until you get the output you like. It won't be doing any kind of temperature control with kanthal but you will be able to turn it down considerably more than using power mode. Best would be to go with titanium for a dual coil and just use the Joules mode and temp control to find a suitable temp and joules setting for that juice.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You will find that with the D2 you aren't going to get 10 watts with a .62 ohm resistance in power mode. The specs call for 3.6V-7.0V in power mode and 1.0V-7.0V in Joules mode. In testing mine I've found that with a freshly charged battery 3.85V is as low as it will regulate (I only tested with a .5 coil). With .62 that's going to result in about 24 watts. You can dial the wattage down but the hit won't be any weaker. You can however switch to joules mode where it will output down to 1 volt and just adjust the joules until you get the output you like. It won't be doing any kind of temperature control with kanthal but you will be able to turn it down considerably more than using power mode. Best would be to go with titanium for a dual coil and just use the Joules mode and temp control to find a suitable temp and joules setting for that juice.
I have read this multiple times. I guess I don't know my d2. If I use joules with kanthal do I have to select a nickel or ti coil?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Figured it out. About burned my wick. Good lesson. Needed to rewick anyway.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have read this multiple times. I guess I don't know my d2. If I use joules with kanthal do I have to select a nickel or ti coil?

kanthal will not work in Tc mode ,or joules mode

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
kanthal will not work in Tc mode ,or joules mode

As I stated, kanthal will not work for temperature control. It will however heat up when voltage is applied just as it does in power or wattage mode. Using joules mode allows you to buck that voltage down to as little as 1 volt.

joeyboy, since kanthal isn't changing it's resistance appreciably the temp algorithm doesn't really come into play. The ti mode does allow for higher resistance coils so I would choose ti and set the resistance, which won't change, leaving you to adjust joules for output. It's nothing more than a workaround for the low wattage low resistance power mode kanthal needs that the D2 won't buck down to in power mode. It works quite well for that narrow range of application. Or of course use a mod that bucks down to your needs in wattage. You would still be better off using the temp control with a proper TC coil, ti would be easiest with dual coils, to get the output level and temperature to suit your juice.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As I stated, kanthal will not work for temperature control. It will however heat up when voltage is applied just as it does in power or wattage mode. Using joules mode allows you to buck that voltage down to as little as 1 volt.

joeyboy, since kanthal isn't changing it's resistance appreciably the temp algorithm doesn't really come into play. The ti mode does allow for higher resistance coils so I would choose ti and set the resistance, which won't change, leaving you to adjust joules for output. It's nothing more than a workaround for the low wattage low resistance power mode kanthal needs that the D2 won't buck down to in power mode. It works quite well for that narrow range of application. Or of course use a mod that bucks down to your needs in wattage. You would still be better off using the temp control with a proper TC coil, ti would be easiest with dual coils, to get the output level and temperature to suit your juice.

joules is only present in TC mode,also the D3 does not have the Ti option

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
joules is only present in TC mode,also the D3 does not have the Ti option
D3? He has the IPV D2 - with a ti option. And yes you have to put it into joules mode in order for it to buck voltage to the level he's looking for. The point isn't to control the temperature in this workaround, it's to make use of the fact that the D2 bucks in joules and doesn't in watts.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info. I actually like the way it vapes in power mode. I really don't care about the step down. I will be trying TC, though. I have all the stuff just need to find the time.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
its called a typo,, and the D2 does NOT have a Ti otion,,only Ni
I own one. I don't know which mod you're thinking of but the IPV D2 certainly does. Why do you suppose joeyboy asked which he should select?

Last edited:

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own one. I don't know which mod you're thinking of but the IPV D2 certainly does. Why do you suppose joeyboy asked which he should select?

as do i,there is no Ti optiion,but it will fire Ti

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
as do i,there is no Ti optiion,but it will fire Ti
The ti option is right there in the menu on the D2. When you reach the coil part of the menu up or down will select NI200 or Ti01.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
this particular juice is very strong.

A very low tech solution (small pun intended) would be to whack your juice with VG. It will lessen your nic, but you will be producing more vapor, so it should work out about even. Some juice I get is too strong, but I like the flavor, so I might choose 12, or 18 mg nic juice and whack it 2 to for times with VG. A happy consequence, it that you might double or triple the amount of juice, which is a significant saving.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
its called a typo,, and the D2 does NOT have a Ti otion,,only Ni
I hate to tell you this but you're wrong in your info there bro. The D2 does indeed have a Ti option, shown here on my D2
9d9dd37391d259b39700449305c8a3ff.jpg

It also has a nickel and power option as well...

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ti option is right there in the menu on the D2. When you reach the coil part of the menu up or down will select NI200 or Ti01.
I hate to tell you this but you're wrong in your info there bro. The D2 does indeed have a Ti option, shown here on my D2
9d9dd37391d259b39700449305c8a3ff.jpg

It also has a nickel and power option as well...

did either of you get yours from 101 ? if so did it also have the silicone sleeve

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
did either of you get yours from 101 ? if so did it also have the silicone sleeve
Yes from 101..It came with a sleeve but the one seen in my pic came from SweetVapes..they have them in 10 diff
colors...I got two in black..

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got mine from WakeandVape, came with the sleeve a carbon fiber skin a carry pouch and a Samsung 25R for $55. The one that comes with it tends to stretch out as you use it, somewhere along the line I'll probably end up buying one of the one's smacksy mentioned.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors