Become a Patron!

Tobeco DNA30 tube APV review

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I’m new to vaping, but it doesn't mean I don’t have opinions about the subject. Perhaps my perspective will help others that are relatively new to the experience as well.

Images of the Tobeco DNA30: right click and open image in a new tab to view full size
Compilation.jpg
Manufacturers description:

The Tobeco DNA30 Tube Mod is a brand new product from Tobeco. Using the CHDNA30 chipset it has a variable wattage setting of 7 to 30 watts, a voltage range of 4 to 11 volts and compatibility with devices ranging from .3 to 3.3 ohms. The Tobeco DNA30 Tube Mod is taking the vaping world by storm because it is very well built, has an abundance of features and is much cheaper than other box or tube mods while maintaining equal performance parameters.

Device Specifications:

Authentic Tobeco design for 2014
Classic Tube Mod Design
Output Power
Minimum: 7 watts
Typical: 10 to 25 watts
Maximum: 30 watts

Output Voltage
Minimum: 4 volts
Typical: 5 to 10 volts
Maximum: 11 volts

Output Current
Typical: 2 to 8 amps
Maximum: 10 amps

Device Resistance
Minimum: .3 ohms
Typical: 1.5 ohms
Maximum: 3.3 ohms

Input voltage
Minimum: 3.2 volts
Typical: 3.7 volts
Maximum: 4.3 volts

Input Current
Minimum: 1.5 amps
Typical: 6.0 amps
Maximum: 12.0 amps

Efficiency
Minimum: 93%
Typical: 95%
Maximum: 97%

Lock, stealth and sleep modes
Uses 18650 batteries but only high rate lithium-ion batteries can meet high-current output,

Package Contents:
1 x Authentic Tobeco DNA30 Tube Mod
1 x Carrying bag
Instructions
Gift Box

Ok we have all of that out of the way, let's get to the review.

My prior device consisted of a stainless vision spinner variable voltage battery and a Kanger Aero tank. This was the setup that finally got my wife and I off of cigarettes, (yeah for us). One month and counting. That setup is a great starting point for any beginner and I highly recommend it for that purpose. That said, the tank refills and battery changes to get through a day were becoming a nuisance. So my search began for something better. I ultimately decided on the Tobeco DNA30 along with an Aspire Nautilus tank.

On to the Tobeco. The packaging is nice, with a sturdy box, all be it a bit spartan looking. Inside you'll find the user manual along with the device which is in it's own pouch with a convenient draw string. It doesn't come with any accessories like batteries or atomizers etc.and the pouch only will fit the Tobeco without a tank.

The device feels heavy and formidable in the hand. The main body parts are all stainless steel and the gold buttons feel metalic but I cannot tell you what they are made of for sure. The 510 connection on the top is pressed in place so there is no removable top cap. As you can see in the pictures though, the top does have air slots provided for those devices that get their air from the bottom. The digital display has a plastic cover protecting it from the elements and the end cap (also stainless steel) has a copper spring design for making a decent connection with the negative end of an 18650 battery. The Tobeco looks and feels like a quality device. The brushed stainless steel, with it's ribbing or grooves cut into the body in three locations, along with the slight taper at both ends, gives the impression that this is an instrument that you might find in an aerospace engineering lab. But then you turn it around and see those gaudy square gold buttons. Round brushed stainless buttons would have been perfect. Oh well, for $60 dollars I'll live with the ugly buttons, but that doesn't stop me from wincing a bit when I see them.

Now for the pros and cons:

Pros:
Price. At $60 dollars it's very affordable.
Stainless steel construction. Just like those expensive guys.
This is a heavy, sturdy mod.
The chDNA30D chip offers all of it's counter parts features plus reverse battery protection and operates at a higher voltage and amperage when needed.
This is a good looking device. What do you think about covering those gold buttons with duct tape?
It has always fired when I press the button, and all operating modes just work.
Did I mention it's only $60 dollars?

Cons:
Doesn't have a replaceable top cap.
The top is flat except for the air slots and the 510 connection so no drip well for those leaky atomizers.
The display is useless outdoors. Just not bright enough.
The grooves cut into the device are a bit sharp to the touch. They have been polished so won't cut you but should have been rounded a bit more.
The same is true of the display hole. The display is flush mounted but a slight gap around it allows you to feel the edge.
The spring in the bottom cap could have been made of a slightly larger gauge wire. I have heard that a Provari spring will work, but so far the stock spring is working just fine.
The control section I think could have been made shorter. The device feels a bit long.
My final con is due to the chips limitations. I like to vape at around 9 to 9.5 watts. My Nautilus tank came with 1.6 ohm and 1.8 ohm coils. The chip specs say the operating range is 4 to 11 volts. However the voltage on the low end is actually the voltage of the battery if above 4 volts. So if we employ Ohms law with a newly charged battery we get the following. 4.1 volts and 1.6 ohms gives us 10.5 watts. So the chip isn't able to regulate the voltage down to achieve my 9 to 9.5 watts. Once the battery starts to lose some of it's charge the chip will maintain 4 volts. Now the device will give me 10 watts using the same 1.6 ohm coil. Consequently if your a lower watt person like myself then use coils that are around 2 ohms and you'll be fine.

To wrap up this lengthy review. The Tobeco DNA30 is a good looking and well made device. There are some minor niggles, but thats true of almost all devices. This is a great mod for the power hungry and newbies like me.
I give it two hearty thumbs up.

If you have any questions about the device, or just some healthy criticism, please leave a comment below.

Thanks, Don

EDIT:
I discovered that even though the specs say min 4v, if you set the watts below 8w the volts drop to 3.9v. This works out to be 8.5w using a 1.8 ohm coil. I read that their used to be Nautilus coils at 2.2ohm but everyone seems to be out of stock. If anyone hears of somewhere with stock in the 2.2ohm please let me know. Thanks, Don

Last edited:

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great review. I fully agree with the con about the chip not being well regulated at lower watts. Interestingly, I find it more energy efficient than the Cloupor DNA30 clone. I can get 2 full days of regular vaping with the Tobeco vs. only about 1 - 1 1/2 days with the Cloupor.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice write up / review. Thanks.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m new to vaping, but it doesn't mean I don’t have opinions about the subject. Perhaps my perspective will help others that are relatively new to the experience as well.

Images of the Tobeco DNA30: right click and open image in a new tab to view full size
View attachment 1534

The Tobeco DNA30 Tube Mod is a brand new product from Tobeco. Using the CHDNA30 chipset it has a variable wattage setting of 7 to 30 watts, a voltage range of 4 to 11 volts and compatibility with devices ranging from .3 to 3.3 ohms. The Tobeco DNA30 Tube Mod is taking the vaping world by storm because it is very well built, has an abundance of features and is much cheaper than other box or tube mods while maintaining equal performance parameters.

Device Specifications:

Classic Tube Mod Design
Output Power

Output Voltage

Output Current

Device Resistance

Input voltage

Input Current

Efficiency

Uses 18650 batteries but only high rate lithium-ion batteries can meet high-current output,

Package Contents:
1 x Carrying bag
Instructions
Gift Box

My prior device consisted of a stainless vision spinner variable voltage battery and a Kanger Aero tank. This was the setup that finally got my wife and I off of cigarettes, (yeah for us). One month and counting. That setup is a great starting point for any beginner and I highly recommend it for that purpose. That said, the tank refills and battery changes to get through a day were becoming a nuisance. So my search began for something better. I ultimately decided on the Tobeco DNA30 along with an Aspire Nautilus tank.

On to the Tobeco. The packaging is nice, with a sturdy box, all be it a bit spartan looking. Inside you'll find the user manual along with the device which is in it's own pouch with a convenient draw string. It doesn't come with any accessories like batteries or atomizers etc.and the pouch only will fit the Tobeco without a tank.

The device feels heavy and formidable in the hand. The main body parts are all stainless steel and the gold buttons feel metalic but I cannot tell you what they are made of for sure. The 510 connection on the top is pressed in place so there is no removable top cap. As you can see in the pictures though, the top does have air slots provided for those devices that get their air from the bottom. The digital display has a plastic cover protecting it from the elements and the end cap (also stainless steel) has a copper spring design for making a decent connection with the negative end of an 18650 battery. The Tobeco looks and feels like a quality device. The brushed stainless steel, with it's ribbing or grooves cut into the body in three locations, along with the slight taper at both ends, gives the impression that this is an instrument that you might find in an aerospace engineering lab. But then you turn it around and see those gaudy square gold buttons. Round brushed stainless buttons would have been perfect. Oh well, for $60 dollars I'll live with the ugly buttons, but that doesn't stop me from wincing a bit when I see them.

Pros:
The chDNA30D chip offers all of it's counter parts features plus reverse battery protection and operates at a higher voltage and amperage when needed.
This is a good looking device. What do you think about covering those gold buttons with duct tape?

Cons:
The top is flat except for the air slots and the 510 connection so no drip well for those leaky atomizers.
The grooves cut into the device are a bit sharp to the touch. They have been polished so won't cut you but should have been rounded a bit more.
The same is true of the display hole. The display is flush mounted but a slight gap around it allows you to feel the edge.
The spring in the bottom cap could have been made of a slightly larger gauge wire. I have heard that a Provari spring will work, but so far the stock spring is working just fine.
The control section I think could have been made shorter. The device feels a bit long.
My final con is due to the chips limitations. I like to vape at around 9 to 9.5 watts. My Nautilus tank came with 1.6 ohm and 1.8 ohm coils. The chip specs say the operating range is 4 to 11 volts. However the voltage on the low end is actually the voltage of the battery if above 4 volts. So if we employ Ohms law with a newly charged battery we get the following. 4.1 volts and 1.6 ohms gives us 10.5 watts. So the chip isn't able to regulate the voltage down to achieve my 9 to 9.5 watts. Once the battery starts to lose some of it's charge the chip will maintain 4 volts. Now the device will give me 10 watts using the same 1.6 ohm coil. Consequently if your a lower watt person like myself then use coils that are around 2 ohms and you'll be fine.

To wrap up this lengthy review. The Tobeco DNA30 is a good looking and well made device. There are some minor niggles, but thats true of almost all devices. This is a great mod for the power hungry and newbies like me.

If you have any questions about the device, or just some healthy criticism, please leave a comment below.

Thanks, Don

EDIT:
I discovered that even though the specs say min 4v, if you set the watts below 8w the volts drop to 3.9v. This works out to be 8.5w using a 1.8 ohm coil. I read that their used to be Nautilus coils at 2.2ohm but everyone seems to be out of stock. If anyone hears of somewhere with stock in the 2.2ohm please let me know. Thanks, Don
Yeah I just picked one up for 60.00 shipped if the ChDNA chip goes bad I will just put an Evolv DNA 30 in her as far as the sharp edges I am glad you mentioned this its for my GF out comes the dremel to unsharpen.. hahah Great review

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I just picked one up for 60.00 shipped if the ChDNA chip goes bad I will just put an Evolv DNA 30 in her as far as the sharp edges I am glad you mentioned this its for my GF out comes the dremel to unsharpen.. hahah Great review

Thank you for your reply Mrscaryz. I hope the board holds up as I doubt I have the know how to replace it. It shouldn't take much to soften those edges just a bit more. Don

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Nicely done indeed!

Does anyone know where replacement parts can be sourced? I checked with inlinevape.com (since according to Tobeco they are the authorized distributor) but haven't I received a response yet. Mine fell over on the Corian counter top a few times and the weight of the device forced the up/down buttons into the dna pcb and damaged the electronic buttons on the board. I know that I can get the evolv dna and likely will as the ch has acted a little erratically since new. My concern is the plastic housing into which the dna is mounted. It is made just for the tube version. It is also what the up, down and fire buttons clip into and holds them on the tube. As far as the top cap in concerned, it is very easy to remove. Use a pair of channel locks to rock the cap while gently pulling. It is pressed into place with splines so do not try to turn it. I found that there was a nasty looking cold solder joint where the positive lead is soldered to the center post.

Any help appreciated!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know where replacement parts can be sourced? I checked with inlinevape.com (since according to Tobeco they are the authorized distributor) but haven't I received a response yet. Mine fell over on the Corian counter top a few times and the weight of the device forced the up/down buttons into the dna pcb and damaged the electronic buttons on the board. I know that I can get the evolv dna and likely will as the ch has acted a little erratically since new. My concern is the plastic housing into which the dna is mounted. It is made just for the tube version. It is also what the up, down and fire buttons clip into and holds them on the tube. As far as the top cap in concerned, it is very easy to remove. Use a pair of channel locks to rock the cap while gently pulling. It is pressed into place with splines so do not try to turn it. I found that there was a nasty looking cold solder joint where the positive lead is soldered to the center post.

Any help appreciated!
I will just tell you that removing the Tobeco DNA board was the most difficut project I ever took on. you will need to either find someone to remove the top cap as it is press fitted understand that this board is put in there with a plastic holder that is not meant to be removed I replaced mine but I would highly suggest if you have never used a dremel and are ready for a work out to cut your loses...

I already have the board removed which is why I mentioned the process to remove the cap and finding the cold solder joint. Once the cap is off, a jewelers screwdriver down the inside of the tube will easily push the buttons out of the tube so that the plastic housing with the board can be removed. My question is about a source for the plastic housing that holds the board and that the exterior buttons snap into. There was no need for a dremel, any cutting or grinding.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I already have the board removed which is why I mentioned the process to remove the cap and finding the cold solder joint. Once the cap is off, a jewelers screwdriver down the inside of the tube will easily push the buttons out of the tube so that the plastic housing with the board can be removed. My question is about a source for the plastic housing that holds the board and that the exterior buttons snap into. There was no need for a dremel, any cutting or grinding.
well since you have all that done you will find a way the vape force will be with ya I just made one took some fiddling sounds like you got it down

vapingtemptations

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got two of these new never used except to make sure there wasn't defects I'm trying to sell. They are lovely devices I just jumped on the DNA clone bandwagon a Lil to hard haha

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 1534

Device Specifications:

Classic Tube Mod Design
Output Power

Output Voltage

Output Current

Device Resistance

Input voltage

Input Current

Efficiency

Package Contents:
1 x Carrying bag
Instructions
Gift Box

Pros:

Cons:

Thanks, Don

EDIT:
Sadly there are several revisions of the Tobeco DNA30 I have two one I had to replace with an Evolv board the other worked for about a week they are handy very very heavy the major problem with this mod is its heavy if it falls and over even on carpet and hits the buttons it will push them into the circuit board and ruin it.. If you are using it I would recommend getting a rubber hair band and put it between the funny looking happy face buttons so that if it does fall it will hit the rubber this will save you pain... :)

VU Sponsors