Become a Patron!

Ti build on subtank mini (rba+)

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone had any luck building and wicking the rba deck with titanium on the new subtank mini? I can get the coil right, but wicking with a constant flow for the Ti is giving me issues.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried Ti on my RBA deck and gave up. But I only have 24 gauge, and I think that's likely the issue. What issues are you having with yours?

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't get it to stop fluttering. It might be my setting, because it seems to draw fine on my evic vt. Just having issues with its ability to keep up on top of my ipv3 li.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm, I *think* mine was stable, but the taste was so awful I suspect I had a hot spot. I've ordered some 26 gauge, so I'll retry it when that arrives.

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I put the silverplay( black fasttech version) on instead with dual 26g 6 wraps at .14. It works awesome. I will leave the black subtank mini for the evic I guess.

Fenris4024

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My biggest question, is where to GET the ti g1 wire...I've seen the spider silk stuff, and not sure if it worth that price. Any help would be awesome.
I don't mind being a guinea pig and ordering different gauges either.
I'm really looking for it for the higher ohms so I can run my billow v2 in tc. I don't want to even think about messing with 32g ni200 for it.

Fenris4024

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the link Amanda, this is exactly what I was looking for. Gonna try the 26g first and see how it performs in stuff... I figure if I want lower gauge, I'll just twist it up ;)

Edit: are you doing anything insane to clean it? Dancing under the moon while carrying a badger named Lorrance? If so, where do I find said badger?;)

Last edited:

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A115DFFF-A17D-4FAC-AD76-9EABFD643074-699-00000054E727FB90_zpsthez3hul.jpg

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the link Amanda, this is exactly what I was looking for. Gonna try the 26g first and see how it performs in stuff... I figure if I want lower gauge, I'll just twist it up ;)

Edit: are you doing anything insane to clean it? Dancing under the moon while carrying a badger named Lorrance? If so, where do I find said badger?;)

no, just short pulses, no touching wire and new cotton when I change flavors...boom perfection

Fenris4024

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If for some reason the 26g I ordered from unkammen isn't "working" for me, I might try the Spider Silk, but I wanted to try the another option before potentially buying into what to me sounds like a gimmick wire. (Not saying that it is, since I don't know enough about it.... yet.)

Fenris4024

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks man... all in all though, I'm digging the TC vaping... I think I like the ti more than the ni200, but its hard to tell. Once I have more wire to rebuild the CLR heads (using an Evic VT) to a vertical coil build, I'll know which I prefer.

Meanwhile, I've got a Atlantis 2 with some of the VA ni200 coils in it, and its a good vape for certain. I just wish the wicking holes in the stock joytech heads were bigger. I vape 80% VG due to not liking my throat feeling like a litterbox the next day (PG and I don't get along much), and found the stock intakes waaaaay too small. I guess for a high PG juice, they'd rock though. Prolly the same thing with the subtank heads.

And apologies for hijacking the thread. Back on topic, are you @StanM are you going through the post holes, or wrapping and trapping on the screw heads? I'd heard that with the RBA section, many folks were having better luck with wrapping and trapping.

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My biggest question, is where to GET the ti g1 wire...I've seen the spider silk stuff, and not sure if it worth that price. Any help would be awesome.
I'm really looking for it for the higher ohms so I can run my billow v2 in tc. I don't want to even think about messing with 32g ni200 for it.
Hey Fasttech just started carrying T1 surgical grade wire about $5/6 bucks for 30 foot spool. Check it out

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
no, just short pulses, no touching wire and new cotton when I change flavors...boom perfection
What do you mean by no touching wire? You have to make the coil don't you?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If for some reason the 26g I ordered from unkammen isn't "working" for me, I might try the Spider Silk, but I wanted to try the another option before potentially buying into what to me sounds like a gimmick wire. (Not saying that it is, since I don't know enough about it.... yet.)
What's it not doing? I'm gradually changing all my atties over from Ni - mainly because I find it so much easier to work with, and of course the taste is clean (not the case with the 24 gauge wire for some reason - probably my connections).

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do you mean by no touching wire? You have to make the coil don't you?

equal spacing is key to ensure a good and even in-out glow. BUT BUT BUT, you cant let this ti wire glow. you have to pule it at super low voltage just to see it start to change color then you have to let off the fire button...zero issues

D1D1A696-6D65-4316-A87D-4B98DC3D8F5E-22256-00000604795A96C2_zpsdirpsafd.jpg

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just lure the badger out with a tic-tac. They are really calm and loving...no worries. Then, calmly put a tiny tutu on the badger and hand it your Ti wire. They are really good at cleaning it spotless.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I have had success with 28 g MI 200 on the billows. 2.5mm with 11 wraps gets me around .057. It's tight but works awesome

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
equal spacing is key to ensure a good and even in-out glow. BUT BUT BUT, you cant let this ti wire glow. you have to pule it at super low voltage just to see it start to change color then you have to let off the fire button...zero issues

D1D1A696-6D65-4316-A87D-4B98DC3D8F5E-22256-00000604795A96C2_zpsdirpsafd.jpg
Ok I get it, and you had to rub it in with the black EVic like I ordered. LOL LOL

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually I was just discussing how I'd made a contact coil with 26 gauge Ti (read about it on the Other Forum), and it also works well. Pulse till blue, rinse off and wick with rayon. Good vape!

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rayon not Cotton? Weird. I thought Titanium has even lower resistance than Nickel? So logically Rayon for wick is a bad choice? Maybe ceramic but I don't know maybe more research I guess?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon seems to be slightly better for me than japanese cotton with TI. It's just a case of how much it wicks, and the rayon holds more juice.

No, I think the resistance is higher than Ni, no? A 6 wrap 3mm coil gives me 0.09 or so with Ni and 0.2 with Ti! (now my head is spinning LOL - lower vs higher!).

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is ok Amanda will figure it out soon. I'm getting a spinner from all the math lol

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The synthetic vs natural debate will always be a good one. I think somewhere i saw a graph that rayon was able to flow more juice but the biggest thing is that it does not expand when wet. This makes a difference, and why you have to really make sure you dont put too much cotton in normal coils. Or else you will get a dry hit...took a while to figure this one out

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rayon seems to be slightly better for me than japanese cotton with TI. It's just a case of how much it wicks, and the rayon holds more juice.

No, I think the resistance is higher than Ni, no? A 6 wrap 3mm coil gives me 0.09 or so with Ni and 0.2 with Ti! (now my head is spinning LOL - lower vs higher!).
Ti resistance is higher.

Fenris4024

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I hafta agree on the Rayon on Ti coils, seems to work better for me as well. Speaking of, got in the 26g Ti... first build in the Billow was tight, only trouble was it was a hair too big and might ignited when I was checking it... lol. Pulled that out, went down a step on the mandrel to 2mm, and still tight, but at least now it fits in there. Nice flavor, and love the fact that its not super scorching hot like my kanthal builds were.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
That's great news. Been thinking of making the switch to TI and love the billows 2 so very useful info

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What's it not doing? I'm gradually changing all my atties over from Ni - mainly because I find it so much easier to work with, and of course the taste is clean (not the case with the 24 gauge wire for some reason - probably my connections).
Giving it one last shot tonight... Just got a spool of 24g, 26g and 28g...

I purchased some 26g spider silk to use on my wife's kanger sub tank mini and her new ipv d2. I have tried wrapping a spaced coil (around 2mm and maybe 3mm machine screws) 4-7 wraps. Both horizontal and vertical builds. Twisted some and did a nice 4 wrap spaced macro coil. Just doesn't seem to do right. Seems like it just doesn't perform hardly any vapor at 400f and when I go higher seems like it just taste horrible. I have however made some nice contact coils that perform like a dream both horizontal and vertical. But they seem to get all gunked up after just a few days to the point they look like a BBQ grill after your burnt chicken sticks. Any suggestion on how and how often to clean these coils or how to get my spaces or twisteds working right?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors