Become a Patron!

Those Infernal RDA Post Screws

I suppose you know where this is going. Yes - after a few vapes (or hours or a day after a build), the coil post screws are loose. My search turned up some answers as to why, and they make sense, but no real cure. Just the recommendation to go back, check, and tighten.

I'm new (about 2 months) to rebuilding, having kicked a 40 year smoking habit about 2 years ago. I've been using VV/VW mods, BCC tanks, etc. I only recently moved to mechs and now, for me, there's no looking back.

So, typically I use 26ga Kanthal (I find it easier to work with and less likely to get chopped off by the screws. I'll do about 8 wraps around a 2.5mm screwdriver. Two such coils in in parallel yields me about a 0.4 to 0.5 ohm overall build. That seems to work best for me.
I typically build in either Tobhs, Magmas, or Vulcans. Regardless of the atty, the post screws still end up loose after a number of heat cycles.

I'm annealing the coils first, and have now started extending my dry burn process to include about 10 to 15 power cycles. I snug the screws after it cools between cycles. That really seems to have helped. But:

Is there anything else I can do?

BTW, these are all clone attys. Obviously, some are of better quality than others. But regardless, the problem remains with all.

Many thanks!

And, hello! First post here. Seems to be a very nice bunch of folks here!

Mark

All from eBay sellers. The Tobh Attys came in Tobeco packaging, which probably means nothing, as they could be clones of clones.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When heated, metal expands. And while expanding it forces the screws loose. I tighten mine with needlenose pliers when building something with low ohms and fat wires, that works. Thats still risky, you will eventually end up with rounded screwheads if you are not careful.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Find some tiny lock washers or replace the screws with hex head screws

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the screws have protruding heads (i.e. not like hex set screws), I use the coil's legs as lockwires: I wrap each leg two or three turns around the base of the head clockwise before tightening the screw. Works great for me.

VU Sponsors