Become a Patron!

Therion bf useless. Need settings help.

I have been lusting after a DNA chip mod. I finally got a a therion Bf with the 75 color and a drop rda. I'm sad to say the mod is crappy in every aspect except structural build quality. It reads ohms off by .01, the battery drains ultra fast and it barley makes vapor in 316l tc mode.
I've been vaping on a cylon with a sense blazer pro tank, tfv8 .15 t8 coils. That rips huge flavorful clouds. After reading and watching all the vape reviews I saw everyone praises rda's and DNA mods. I couldn't wait to join the club. I also ordered a coil master v3 kit and some 316l 26g wire then made a pair of coils for my drop at .375 ohms, screwed it in and.... Weak clouds that taste like nothing.
I tried the rda I watt mode and it's a little better. Not amazing as the drop and therion are supposed to be. I also wrapped up coils at .25 ohms and the same weak vape.
I've read the therion bf needs the battery changed from lipo to 18650, djlsb has his own 316l profile, what's different, and something about the internal resistance needs to be adjusted....
Can anyone give me a definitive all in one answer on what I need to do, I mean all the settings that need to be adjusted. I basically have an expensive rig that is worthless.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU :wave:

I do not own a Drop and traded my Therion - but it sounds to me as if you need to watch a few good tutorials on navigating the DNA75C menu

The Therion does not come with a Lipo version as far as I know - so not sure where you are coming from there - I could be wrong though

You did not say what mode you are vaping in nor did you talk about the build in the Drop - this is critical information to have if you want help

Also, ohms off by .01 is almost nothing and am wondering how you came to this conclusion

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once in awhile the vt133 in TC mode seems to work for me.. But, up near 500F.

The rest of the time I just vape the DNA in watts-mode, and switch off with the Gbox 200 periodically - another one that periodically works in TC, (higher than expected, usually), but always works in watts or "curve" modes.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have been lusting after a DNA chip mod. I finally got a a therion Bf with the 75 color and a drop rda. I'm sad to say the mod is crappy in every aspect except structural build quality. It reads ohms off by .01, the battery drains ultra fast and it barley makes vapor in 316l tc mode.
I've been vaping on a cylon with a sense blazer pro tank, tfv8 .15 t8 coils. That rips huge flavorful clouds. After reading and watching all the vape reviews I saw everyone praises rda's and DNA mods. I couldn't wait to join the club. I also ordered a coil master v3 kit and some 316l 26g wire then made a pair of coils for my drop at .375 ohms, screwed it in and.... Weak clouds that taste like nothing.
I tried the rda I watt mode and it's a little better. Not amazing as the drop and therion are supposed to be. I also wrapped up coils at .25 ohms and the same weak vape.
I've read the therion bf needs the battery changed from lipo to 18650, djlsb has his own 316l profile, what's different, and something about the internal resistance needs to be adjusted....
Can anyone give me a definitive all in one answer on what I need to do, I mean all the settings that need to be adjusted. I basically have an expensive rig that is worthless.

The first thing I pwhen I got my Therion which has the DNA75c chip is download the escribe software. There are some very good profile settings for ss316l that have been uploaded to the forum that you can download on your device. After that is simply a matter of fine tuning those profiles to your individual tastes. The 75c is a very good chip but there is a learning curve to it. Steam engine is also a good source of information on tcr profiles and those can also be downloaded to your mod. What I love the most about my Therion is that it is infinitely customizable. I can change the mod settings to whatever style of vaping I chose at that time.

Carpe Nidor

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would watch Evolv's tutorial on escribe... adding Daniel's profile isn't the fix all if you know not what that profile is doing or how to manage the intricacies of a DNA mod, and sadly comparing it to a cloud chucking flavorless ( to me ) RTA with prebuilt coils is akin to saying an 86 prelude can go 90mph but my New Tesla 85D which I don't know how to start only sits here.

I do apologize about the quippy response, but its the truth.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:
:
You could always just send it to me.. I'm willing to beat it into submission! ;-)

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Some troubleshooting ideas;

With temperature control, your coil needs to be perfect. If you are building contact coils, where each wrap touches the next, you have to pulse your coil without wick to make sure it glows evenly from the middle of the coil. If you are using spaced coils, good idea to give it a pulse to make sure it is firing evenly from the middle.

Also, if you are building the coil on another device or an ohm reader, firing the coil on something else, then attaching it to your Therion, the coil can still be hot. That will throw off the ohm reading, and thus your temp control. The Therion will read the coil as a higher ohm than it actually is. Also, firing the coil in wattage mode, then switching it to a temp control profile, the mod will re-read the resistance. If the coil is still hot when you switch modes, the resistance reading will be too high, resulting in a weak vape.

When in the temp control profile you want to use, go to Settings>Atomizer scroll down to "Measure". Draw some air through the atty, give it a squonk, draw some more air to cool down the coil. Keep repeating without firing the mod, until the resistance won't come down any more.

Also, what sort of batteries are you using? The DNA75C has a soft voltage cut off of 3.2V from factory I think. If the mod reads your battery dipping below 3.2v it will fire very weakly. If you are using a crap battery, or an older worn out battery, even fresh off the charger the voltage sag can be so bad that it fires weakly.

What wattage do you have set on your temp control profile? You might not have enough wattage set to bring the coils up to temp. Wattage should be set to around what you would normally vape that setup under wattage mode.

There is a bit of a learning curve to the DNA mods and temp control. I wasn't impressed either with my first DNA mod under temp control, until I worked out the above kinks.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With temperature control, your coil needs to be perfect. ...

I comprehended your advice regarding the coil building. Still temperature control mode requiring perfect coils is where temperature control mode and I part ways. :)

Also, if you are building the coil on another device or an ohm reader, firing the coil on something else, then attaching it to your Therion, the coil can still be hot. That will throw off the ohm reading, and thus your temp control. The Therion will read the coil as a higher ohm than it actually is. Also, firing the coil in wattage mode, then switching it to a temp control profile, the mod will re-read the resistance. If the coil is still hot when you switch modes, the resistance reading will be too high, resulting in a weak vape.

This happens even on mechanical mods and using a meter or tool to build on and then tweak by pulse firing. Granted some might not realize it as there's no read outs. It is noticeable once you start gaining experience using mechanicals, especially in over all battery charge life and vaping quality. Can see the logic behind that advice, it's good. :)

There is a bit of a learning curve to the DNA mods and temp control. I wasn't impressed either with my first DNA mod under temp control, until I worked out the above kinks.

Ah, a learning curve with computer chips? No, never! *chuckles & grins* In some way that is why I prefer mechanicals. Another and more apt reason for my preference lies in having a chip in a regulated fritz. Not quite an electronics wizard so to me the mod became a paperweight. Mechanicals are simple. Until like recently one showed me, they're not. Still thinking entropy is at fault, and maybe that Murphy guy.

OP, please excuse me. Not my intention to hijack your thread. Merely hoping to convey a sense that @RSZ1 seems to offer some good advice. :) In the Velvet Underground here we back each other up.

Thankfor the response Juicy. I used steam engine to create dual coils at .375 in 26g round 316l, vandy vape wire. I think I used the 3.5mm jig. There isn't a lipo version however I read the board comes from the factory with lipo set as the power provider. I DID talk about the coil build the only part I left out was the jig/coils used were 3.5mm. I also stated i was vaping in tc mode for 316l. I tried from 410f to 510f. I apreapprec your help however you gave me a stock answer you probably give to all new coil builders. If you don't read a post completely your help is as useless as my new rig. I know it's a good mod/ rda. I'm asking for help so I can use it more effectively. Just to be clear for those who have reading comprehension issues, the second set of coils were also 316l 26g.

Socal. Quippy? You are a stuck up vape SNOB. I know it's a good mod and there is some to learn, that's why I asked for some help to get it to work. I also have watched tge escibe vids. Juicy was less then helpful due to her replying without reading. I have never posted anything online before, I don't have Facebook or anything. I'm in my 30s, so it's not like I am a grampa. I just spend my time with hot women, not chubby like juiceylucy (who I think is a man in drag), getting high, winning poker and drinking; not in a bad way. No addiction's just FUN. I was wrong to post online line, I always made fun of people who did and I was right. You all are bitcchy weirdos with nothing better then to look down on other people through your laptops.
Im ashamed for posting. Oh well I guess I will have to go back to my old life of sniffing XXXX off of multiple stripers and counting my poker chips.
PS I know my spelling is horrible. Naked women and money don't care about it so neither do I..... LATER LOSERS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks rsz1. Your reply was informative and not a put down. I pulsed the coils and strummed with ceramic tweezers, built them on a 521 tab. I started to vape at something like 25w at 410f then raised up the temp, once I hit 520f I up the watts by 5w and restarted the temp. By the end I was at 75w at 510f and still nothing.
I used aa genuin Sony vtc5a.
Again, thanks for real help and no superiority complex.

Socal. Quippy? You are a stuck up vape SNOB. I know it's a good mod and there is some to learn, that's why I asked for some help to get it to work. I also have watched tge escibe vids. Juicy was less then helpful due to her replying without reading. I have never posted anything online before, I don't have Facebook or anything. I'm in my 30s, so it's not like I am a grampa. I just spend my time with hot women, not chubby like juiceylucy (who I think is a man in drag), getting high, winning poker and drinking; not in a bad way. No addiction's just FUN. I was wrong to post online line, I always made fun of people who did and I was right. You all are bitcchy weirdos with nothing better then to look down on other people through your laptops.
Im ashamed for posting. Oh well I guess I will have to go back to my old life of sniffing coke off of multiple stripers and counting my poker chips.
PS I know my spelling is horrible. Naked women and money don't care about it so neither do I..... LATER LOSERS

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DNA Mods are not for everyone.
They are mostly for hobbyist types of vapers.
If you are not willing to put in the time to learn how to use them fully than you got the wrong mod.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
url

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What happened?
Someone got a DNA mod and could not figure out how to use it and wanted a simple one line answer to fix things.
Then add small penis and short man complex.

I cruised through the thread and just went WTF?

Anyway IMO temp control is way over hyped and not worth the fiddling, but that's just my two bits for what it's worth.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then add small penis and short man complex.

I cruised through the thread and just went WTF?

Anyway IMO temp control is way over hyped and not worth the fiddling, but that's just my two bits for what it's worth.
I am a tecchie ex programmer, etc and for me the DNA is just too fiddly for me.
If it gets beyond setting a TCR value, temp and or wattage I have no use for it.

I suffered thru the 1st of Busardos how to set up DNA chipsets vid and NO MORE!

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed.. I been programming since.. well, hmm.. 78? Unpaid, but whatever.

It's a wonderful thing to be able to plug in and Monitor and twiddle your mod, but there should be no need to do this for normal operations. Yes, I almost always leave the vt133's in Wattage-Mode - it's simple. It's easy. it works.

But, hey - I got them used, thru VU, and I've tried TC for a couple years now. It's massively overrated.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, so - umm, does this mean yer not shipping that nastyass POS DNA therion-mod to me?

I'm sure I can find a use for it - it's even heavy enough to use as a hammer on people.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
OP I’d say you’ve gone from a dual battery mod which will be capable of “ripping” to a single 18650 squonker using a dual coil RDA ....try lowering the resistance some to roughly 0.13 - 0.18 ohms dual coil on the drop

You could try having a go with a single coil RDA.
Alternatively if you don’t fancy that sell this mod and grab a dual battery DNAc squonker :) if you can afford your affluent lifestyle then you’ll be able to snag a rebel or boxer no probs

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Im ashamed for posting. Oh well I guess I will have to go back to my old life of sniffing XXXX off of multiple stripers and counting my poker chips.

Wow and WTF!

First of all, as of this moment, you have earned the coveted rank of :poop: head here on the Vaping Underground.

May I offer you my sincere congratulations as this is a very difficult rank to obtain here!

FYI, from the start, the opinion was that you are a troll recently banned from ECF, Vaping Blips or the Vaping Insider or Idiots Monthly and just decided to come over here just to start shit.

But Lucy (who is a forum favorite) and others gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to answer your questions.

Sadly, you are too freaking STOOPID to understand the answers

Hot women/strippers plus winning at poker?

REALLY?

I am trying not to think of you masturbating with creamy peanut butter (Hoping that the family pooch comes by to lick it off )while watching "The Golden Girls" in your mother's basement, most likely wearing a knock-off Star Trek uniform with genuine Vulcan glue on ears.

While I am very sure that you spend a lot of time being drunk and stoned, being in that condition 24/7/365 I rather doubt that you win squat and have to cover your bets by engaging in male prostitution behind the dumpster at your local White Castle
And dreaming of improving your "Position" by turning tricks behind the dumpsters of Taco Bell

As to your "Speeelinng" this forum has an enabled Spell Check feature

Are you too ignorant, too lazy, or too STUPID to make use of it?

PS

Chimp Finger.jpg

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
well, we already know about the Pods and condoms, so.. Yeah, makes sense.

Unfortunately, his father did not believe in using condoms

Even worse, his mother did not believe in abortions

Very sad all the way around.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

But, hey - I got them used, thru VU, and I've tried TC for a couple years now. It's massively overrated.

Alternatively if you don’t fancy that sell this mod and grab a dual battery DNAc squonker :) if you can afford your affluent lifestyle then you’ll be able to snag a rebel or boxer no probs

Seems roughly where my opinion of temperature control found itself. Also it is spot on where my opinion about someone winning a posh lifestyle via gambling goes too. If you got it so good, why are you bothering here? Simply go buy the most golden and best and use it until you no longer can, toss it, repeat.

I mean hey, you got it so good huh, why not? I probably would, ... well, no I wouldn't either. But I'm kind of an odd lot what has these things called values, morals, ethics. Strange how they also seem to seize me up in those odd moments right when I think pulling a pin and dropping a grenade down someone's pants might be fun, or merely even simply speak.

As to your "Speeelinng" this forum has an enabled Spell Check feature
Are you too ignorant, too lazy, or too STUPID to make use of it?

So stupid even automatic spell check, built into most modern graphical web browsers fails to keep up, I would suspect.

That noted I apologize to the OP. I did care and I tried. I might not have tried hard enough. I apologize for that and can only offer being human as my excuse. Most humans do not take well to other humans seemingly getting in their faces with accusations of stuff they're certain they're not. This human here? Well, he has gone though a lot and faced a lot of issues with anger. Having done that, this human tries being very stress free, very laid back, non-judging, non-intimidating, non-threatening, pacifist, ... the only vibes any other human ought to feel from this human is unconditional love. So then you come along and accuse this human. Alright, I don't care anymore. Have a good one. Go your merry, I'll go mine being a shell of a ghost in the machine. :)

VU Sponsors