Become a Patron!

THE "we need to start a Titanium coils on the Temp control mods thread"

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am saddened with mine today. I have been using the Billows V2 on top of my sig 75 now without issue. Resistance is right at .20. Tried it yesterday on the D2 in TI mode and it was not to my liking. I wont bash the mod just that I seem to like TI in NI200 mode better. The TI mode was either too hot or too cold and lacked depth. I probably needed to fine tune it more but after I got a really hot hit, I took it off and let it rest for the night so it would be ready to go back on my sig 75 this am after cooling all night. Well crap this morning, it was reading .45 as I think one of the legs broke loose (makes sense on why the resistance is doubled vs its normal dual coil readings. Being in a hurry this am, I had to leave it home and not bring it with me to work today. So I grab my silo beast with the NI200 coil in it run out the door. Half way to work, flavor is shot. coil is all junked up. ugh fuck me... so now I am limping through the day with the artic that I dont really like, but its better than running to the store for a pack of smokes. I am going to have to make due with this today until I can get home and get my gear back online. Gonna be a tough day I can tell lololol

At least you had an Arctic for a backup!

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On-board and accounted for here. :)
Dual coiled the Zephyrus with the first Ti wire I've had my hands on just today.
Gallium 24 gauge scrubbed squeaky clean with a paper towel and denatured alcohol. 6 spaced wraps each side brought the ohms to .12 on the Koopor MIni and .11 on my ohms tester. The Koopors at full tilt, hard mode, 600F and .0065 on the CTR setting. This is about the Koopors limit and my batteries are slouching fast, might want to go 25R with something like this! I'm likely to go contact with a few more coils once this tank is dry, it's a stout vape and all but lacking in flavor I'm used to with my DIY 50/50. I'm not sure I can get the usual flavor from a single strand of 24, I usually run twisted with the Ni200 but I'll find out later.

Edit: I forgot to mention the coils were wrapped on a 2.5mm mandrel.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm new here! I am getting all kinds of hot spots and hot legs with my new Ti coils made of 26g spider silk. Anyone know how to fix said problem?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, I'm new here! I am getting all kinds of hot spots and hot legs with my new Ti coils made of 26g spider silk. Anyone know how to fix said problem?
Best way to avoid hot spots with Ti is to make contact coils and gently pulse them (I do this at 17 watts) until they turn blue. You can treat Ti much the same as kanthal as long as you avoid pulsing so hot they form ti dioxide.

Best way to avoid hot spots with Ti is to make contact coils and gently pulse them (I do this at 17 watts) until they turn blue. You can treat Ti much the same as kanthal as long as you avoid pulsing so hot they form ti dioxide.
Thank you I will definitely give low watt pulsing a try! Will that also work out the hot leg issue?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you I will definitely give low watt pulsing a try! Will that also work out the hot leg issue?

Be sure to retighten the screws - they can back out once Ti heats! And squeeze with tweezers while the coils are hot to work out hot spots (not while applying power obviously!).

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had a little trouble with contact coil myself, the 24 gauge wasn't making it any easier. I stepped away from contact coils and leave little spaces between each coil, it's been working pretty good for me so far.
I rebuilt the Zephyrus and don't think anymore 24 will fit in it!
IMG_20150830_022624_zpsw50j40pe_edit_1440925213798_zpsrdz8wetz.jpg

I liked the Ti wire enough there to give it a go in the Lemo2.
IMG_20150831_013712_zpssietpvi8.jpg

IMG_20150831_014908_zpsceob4mf0.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok heres one for you all to try
dual parralel coil
about 6 wraps
26 ga Ti
spaced
3mm
on an STM
comes in about .138 for me

Now heres a question with TC for some experts

I am noticing that the lower the ohms the higher the temp need sto be to prevent DRY COIL form happening.

I am not sure how to word this but
if you prefer a cooler vape you want to build a higher ohm coil and for a warmer vape you want a lower ohm

basically the ohms semi determine the optimal temperature for the build to run at, and if you try to run it at a lower temp, if you don have enough airflow the coil will just over heat and give you dry coil

it seems to me that on this current build i can run it at 450+ and hold the fire button in without taking a draw for 10 seconds no issue

but if i try it at say 400F it hits dry coil in 3 seconds unless I am taking a draw.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Or burst into flames like burning magnesium.:p

kevinmyfsu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have not had great success with Titanium or Nickel. Spaced or contact, it doesn't seem to matter. I got one Titanium build to work for a while but then it started getting hotlegs and I couldn't seem to get rid of them. I may try Stainless Steel as my XCube has an upgrade to use it with TC.

kevinmyfsu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I managed to get a good titanium build. 7 wraps 2mm ID non-spaced. Pulsed them at 15w and tightened them (it was very easy). I'm using the .4mm from Sweet Spot Vapors. Here's a bad quality pic of the build in my Sapor! Doesn't look like much but it is a delightful vape.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I managed to get a good titanium build. 7 wraps 2mm ID non-spaced. Pulsed them at 15w and tightened them (it was very easy). I'm using the .4mm from Sweet Spot Vapors. Here's a bad quality pic of the build in my Sapor! Doesn't look like much but it is a delightful vape.
View attachment 28479

Great news!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or burst into flames like burning magnesium.:p
Been waiting years to share this. Magnesium was made into special wheels for race cars till they found it explodes from high heat. "Mag Wheels". Nurse sleeping pill says it's night night time. Have 80 pounds of Ribs, Brisket, & Yard Pimp to cook starting around 4 a.m. Later ;)

kevinmyfsu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone else experience harsh toots with Ti? I find that anything about 500(F) hurts if I take a longer than one-second pull. Of course there's an easy way to fix that - I just turn the temp down. However, I enjoy a hot vape on occasion.

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First reply here but I'll share some of my experiences,

I started TC with a Snow Wolf only to discover that it would glitch and get stuck in watts mode. Most of my builds were for/from the Snow Wolf. Another disadvantage of the Snow Wolf is that it doesnt lock in the cold resistance reading, therefore the resistance would always change. With that said i took it back and got the TC Sigelei 150 and it works like a charm only downside is that i will have to retry previous builds what a I tried on the Snow Wolf.

This is what ive discovered so far all using 26 guage Spider Silk wrapped around a 3mm pin.
All of these builds on the Twisted Messes RDA.

Dual stranded twisted parallel at .08. Im running this now and wont build it again. Heat dissipation is uneven and the mod does not regulate the coils as good as when they are built contacted.

Dual strand twisted parallel - .08.jpg

This is one of the best builds i had for flavor and vape production
Dual parallel 20 wraps @ .26
Dual parrallel 18 wraps - .26 best build~2.jpg

Here's another dual parallel built at 18 wraps @ .14

Dual 26g Titanium 18 wraps = .14.jpg

20150909_201721.jpg

This one i was really looking forward to but never got to try. 12 wraps, triple twisted parallel @ .14

Triple strand dual parallel .26 = .14.jpg

Ill make another one when i get more wire. Im gonna rebuild a standard dual parallel and see how that goes.

Last edited:

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual single wire 12 wraps @ .28 on the CLT V3

Nice flavor, solid vapor
20150920_150427.jpg

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally got to try my triple twisted 26 guage parallel on the Twisted Messes RDA. It wouldnt fit in the CLT V3. These coils are BIG.

2.5 inner diameter, 10 wraps came out to be sub ohm @.07
Running 60 watts at 400 degrees with nice flavor and big clouds.

Triple twisted coil 10 wraps 26g titanium @ .07.jpg

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Built my first Ti coil, 28g 9/10 wraps a 2.5 jig. Put it on my kayfun lite plus v2 using my Sigelei 75w TC. Oh my I'm in!!!! Flavor is incredible at 40w and 375 degrees. I don't worry so much about the temp, just started low and bumped it until I liked it! It's reading .62. I was OK with my nickel builds but kept hearing how clean the flavor was with Ti. In my experience, I agree. Clean flavor, great flavor and nice vapor.

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally got to try my triple twisted 26 guage parallel on the Twisted Messes RDA. It wouldnt fit in the CLT V3. These coils are BIG.

View attachment 29284

Just want follow up with this build, I'm settled in around 50 watts @ 350 degrees......so smooth. Best build yet for 26 guage titanium wire.

Nickel wire is what temp control is made for, but 30-32 ga nickel is about as strong as a wet noodle. I imagine the guys at Evolv reading forums laughing their asses off saying something to the effect of "lookit these assclowns actually trying to wrap coils with 32ga nickel wire HAHAHAHAH"

Ti wire will work with temp control, but the temp offset is about 100deg. I've got .5mm ti wire, about the equivalent of 24ga, I'm still on my first build, trying to get spacing proper n such, but it seems to work just as good as ni200 without the flimsiness.

You just made my day! ASSCLOWNS! I thought I was the only one who said that... Thanks!

Hey guys, just wanted to share my successes and failures. I bought 50 ft of .5mm (25ga) Ti wire on amazon for about $13. I've made a handful of builds which I'll briefly cover. I've got the new iPV D2 and a Tugboat RDA. The D2 has both Ti and Ni200 settings, and in TC mode you adjust joules, not watts.

First was a 6 wrap 3mm ID single contact coil. This did surprisingly well for my first Ti build and I was pretty impressed with TC in general, being my first TC build too. Ohm'd at about .25 and performed nicely at only 15J.

Second was a parallel 5 wrap 3mm ID single contact coil. I wanted to try less resistance so I built a parallel (I like running single coils over dual coils usually.) It ohm'd at about .093 which was fun. Unfortunately, I felt like this one did poorly and the flavor never was quite right, sometimes even bad. I gave up on it pretty quickly, after probably 5mL through it.

What I'm running now and loving, is a twisted 6 wrap on 3mm ID single spaced coil. I haven't really ran much spaced coils, but after reading a lot about it, I decided to give it a try. I think the spacing allows the APV to regulate temp better as well as gives a more consistent vape with less gumming. I run at about 20J and a mere 275F. I don't have many "no liquid" issues so long as I don't fail to actually inhale a bit. Here's a picture right after I build it with some clear juice. Nevermind the bit of sloppyness... Haha.
cFbcU9w.jpg

Anyway, I'm loving TC and Ti wire. I would say it's slightly more springy than 24ga Kanthal, really not bad at all.

Last edited:

WharfRat1976

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So where is the place to buy NON BUNK TI wire?
Unkamen Supply, for one.
Zivipf as well. Both sell SS, Ti, Ni and NiFe

Last edited:

jameswatkins2nd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

View attachment 29284
I think, I will give this one a try. Looks like a nice build nice and clean.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Tried it yesterday on the D2 in TI mode and it was not to my liking. I wont bash the mod just that I seem to like TI in NI200 mode better. The TI mode was either too hot or too cold and lacked depth.
My current set up is as follows. 26 gauge Ti, dual coil, @ 0.23 ohms, on a VTC mini bet 30-40W in TC Ti mode. I initially vaped at that for several days and found that I was getting no where close to the vapor quality and production I was looking for. I mentioned this to my buddy who's got more vape experience than I do. He recommended I switch to TC Ni mode instead of Ti and that he's been vaping that way ever since, on his IPV D2. So I tried it and wow, its working exactly the way I was expecting it to.

I see here that you've done the same thing. I was wondering if there are any safety issues with vaping Ti wire in Ni mode. Is this a common practice?

When vaping at 30W & 420F in Ti mode, I notice that the devices protection kicks in really early when compared to in Ni mode.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im only using titanium right now and I had best results with 28 gauge twisted and normal 25 gauge, I did some claptons too but only one worked well I think it was 30 around 25. The 28 and 25 gauge coils simply last forever, my flatmate is running 25gauge 8 or 9 wraps dualcoils in his billow v2 for almost two months now without any issues, I have to rip mine out after a week because its boring to only clean and rewick them :D
For cleaning an old toothbrush and hot water is working nice for me, also a bit of pulsing at low watts here and there.
The only material I like more is SS but its just not working good enough for TC imo.
Another good thing to do with Ti is cleaning the wire before building coils, I heat and straighten them, then clean them with some lighter gas and wipe everything off.

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im only using titanium right now and I had best results with 28 gauge twisted and normal 25 gauge, I did some claptons too but only one worked well I think it was 30 around 25. The 28 and 25 gauge coils simply last forever, my flatmate is running 25gauge 8 or 9 wraps dualcoils in his billow v2 for almost two months now without any issues, I have to rip mine out after a week because its boring to only clean and rewick them :D
For cleaning an old toothbrush and hot water is working nice for me, also a bit of pulsing at low watts here and there.
The only material I like more is SS but its just not working good enough for TC imo.
Another good thing to do with Ti is cleaning the wire before building coils, I heat and straighten them, then clean them with some lighter gas and wipe everything off.
How do straighten your Ti? I've used the drill but don't know if there are other/better ways out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How do straighten your Ti? I've used the drill but don't know if there are other/better ways out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used a normal gas lighter sometimes but it doesnt work with thin wire, Im only using 0.4mm or thicker right now because its such a pain to work with the thin stuff.

VU Sponsors