The Official Alien Coil Thread

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by Johnny VapeStand, Jun 30, 2017.

1. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Definitely gonna try this next time I build meg thank you :hug:

raymo2u, Wtmke1 and Pegleg Meg like this.
  2. raymo2u

raymo2u VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Ive got a few more tricks, maybe some day Ill have a quiet house and can actually make a youtube video worth watching....

Great job Meg!

KingPin!, Pegleg Meg and Wtmke1 like this.
  3. mojo21

mojo21 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Here I go on my fralien . I might just have a chance this time . Fingers crossed. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

4. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Cranky Old Fart VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the vid Meg! And thanks to @raymo2u for the procedure that inspired this!

KingPin!, raymo2u, mojo21 and 2 others like this.
  5. WPMac

WPMac New Member Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Skimmed though and didn't see an answer. I'm looking for the ratio/stretch tension for the funky flip-flop alien wrap. Tried a number of times and can't seem to make it work.

6. sparkuk

sparkuk New Member

Blog Posts:
    Trial and error I'm afraid. I wasted quite a bit getting it right. It depends on the gauge/number of cores, and gauge of wrap, though I found a rough guide was to stretch the decore (wrap) so that the "zig-zag" as you look down on it is just under 90 degrees apart, but even then you have to keep a steady tension on it as you're doing the alien wrap. (I believe I used 3x28 core and 36 wrap)
    To be honest I personally don't see much of a difference in flavour over a simple fused clapton to warrant all the extra p1ssing about, so I tend to just do those mainly now. Though I am going to have a go at a staggered fused clapton at some point to see what that's like, which does look somewhat easier to achieve than aliens.

7. CrazyChef v2.0

CrazyChef v2.0 Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee Reddit Exile Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    As a rule of thumb, the space between the "zig-zags" should be roughly the same as the width of your cores. There are exceptions to this, but it's a good starting point for reference.

8. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Thank You!! I am assuming the ratios remain the same as a standard alien? On second thought probably not. If you have to stretch that far it must be a bigger decore?

9. CrazyChef v2.0

CrazyChef v2.0 Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee Reddit Exile Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Your decore needs to be roughly 1/3 the size of your cores.

10. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! I typically like a slightly bigger decore to get a more pronounced "s".

And here's a second question for the masses. Anyone have any success doing aliens on inconsistently sized wire ... i.e. 4 ply .3 ribbon. I kinda figured if I decored for the .4 and then understretched a smidge it would kind of work itself out. But that is NOT the case :cry:

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  11. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Mohawk speed challenge!

WPMac, KingPin! and The_hat_trix like this.
  12. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Sweet!! :D I'll try to sit down today and put a set together. But I'm a slow poke. Don't don't expect to much from me

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  13. Wtmke1

Wtmke1 Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Damn it takes me long to fuse a clapton. Need to up my game.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wolfheartman, KingPin! and Pegleg Meg like this.
  14. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

I don't know why I even did it, I don't think Anyone else is even going to try. I did have fun, though, that's the main thing right

Also got better at mohawks lmao (se the accidental aliens in there?)

PSX_20180913_144504.jpg

VAPEROXX, KingPin! and Wtmke1 like this.
  15. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Just got home and watched the vid meg very impressive!!!

Not one swear word too :vino: I’d have to allow 5 minutes of swearing at it at least

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  16. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Mohawk Speed Challenge!! - 9:45 on 2nd attempt. First one I overstretched the decore and ended up with some plain old aliens. If you just want to see the end result you can pick up at about 10 mins when I put the macro lens on.
    That was faster than I thought. I figured at least 15 min. Especially considering I made to much decore and had to fiddle quite a bit a number of times. I'm actually a little impressed with myself. I could probably get it down pretty quick with some practice ... Though I will still probably be a snail on the drill most of the time. I enjoy taking my time.
    Oh ... side note ... 2nd set of mohawks I've ever made :teehee: Made the first set pretty intricate (posted somewhere in my IG). Was super excited about the artistic result. Well wasn't super impressed with the vape. So Never really had the urge to make more.

"This video is still processing ... this video is still processing ..." It's been processing for like 2 hours. It's a 10 min video ... wtf ... whatever. Y'all can watch it when youtube decides to finish their crap.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Pegleg Meg and KingPin! like this.
  17. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:

I'm quite impressed - mine was about 5 or 6 attempts - from forgetting where my macro lens was the first time, to accidental (clean!) Aliens, the garage door opening and grumbling off-camera by my dad, the entire time I was coiling, to your basic "oh shit these arent clean at All" to almost finishing when the wrap slides off the second coil...lol

Edit: then the one time my decore wouldn't slide off no matter what and I just wadded up all the wire in disgust lmao

KingPin! and WPMac like this.
  18. VAPEROXX

VAPEROXX Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I can do Mohawks pretty quickly (they are my specialty), but I don't do videos lol. So I'll have to bow out or you'll hafta take my word for it. I do them full speed on a 3/8 12v drill. Start to finish in under 5 minutes. Stitched mohawks were a little slower (around 8 minutes-ish)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KingPin! and Pegleg Meg like this.
  19. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Coiling was my slowest part; do you coil with pliers? I was having to push the wraps together as I coiled because I was using my bare fingers (bad me)

And of course I'll take your word! Just means I gotta try again to beat your time :D

KingPin!, WPMac and VAPEROXX like this.
  20. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    I coil around a 3mm screwdriver with bare hands. There's a scientific method for wrapping Mohawks though.

KingPin! and Pegleg Meg like this.
  21. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Yah my son, who was working on school, came by for a sec in my video. And the last 2 wraps on the last coil were pretty gross. But, It's hard for me to sit for more than 10 mins or so at a time during the day. I'm a stay at home day with 2 young kids and we home school. So, after 2 attempts it was either postpone the video for an undetermined amount of time, or just call it as good as it was going to get for a speed challenge ;)

And OMFG ... it's still processing?!?!? I uploaded that thing not long after you posted yours.

Pegleg Meg and KingPin! like this.
  22. Spudeye

Spudeye New Member

Blog Posts:
    How much stretch to give your decor to stop 5 core alien collapsing

WPMac likes this.
  23. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Outside of trial and error ... I'm not sure there's a good way to put it into words. Typical collapse comes from either under stretching the decore, or not having good even tension, between the chuck and the swivels, on all of your cores. If you find your collapsing your cores often I would check those two things first.
    Your other options is to go slow and use some nylon pliers (or at the very least some toothless pliers) and pinch the cores flat as soon as you see a collapse starting to happen.

AND WTF! My damn video still isn't loading. screw youtube man ...

Tried again and it worked. FINALLY

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM
  24. Spudeye

Spudeye New Member

Blog Posts:
    You will like my next one anti clockwise or clockwise dose one make it easier than the other

25. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    That is completely subjective. I personally like doing my decore clockwise and my aliens counter (anti). But, I've seen a number of people who like it the other way.

26. Spudeye

Spudeye New Member

Blog Posts:
    Cracked it was holding the decore to tight

jasonandsarah and WPMac like this.
  27. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    SWEET! Congratulations!!!

28. Spudeye

Spudeye New Member

Blog Posts:
    Tanks man cant believe how well I'm wrapping these coils now doing a set in less than 10 mins and with no wire holds

29. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations!

30. jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Not gonna post a pic because its not an alien but I haven't built a coil for half a year, until yesterday. Got a little nervous thinking maybe I was out of practice but it was almost easier. I did a set of framed staples with 2X26 Kanthal 6x .4ribbon Kanthal outer wrap 36gni80 and they came out good. Only took me like 10 mins as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk