Become a Patron!

Temperature Stainless Steel coils problem?

vizion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, i have an IPV5 and for some reason, I seem to be just vaping air at 50J@480F in a herakles plus tank. I even let it ramp up but still nothing, and if i do feel something..its not that much vapor production. TCR is set at 92 and locked in my coil resistance. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turn up the jules and see if that gets a little more vape. Then turn the temp up. Work both up slowly like 5j at a time and 10°f at a time.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What SS are the coils made of (304, 316, 430?). You may need to increase your TCR depending on the material.

Edit I also see you locked in the resistance. Just double checking that you did that with a room temperature coil (cool)

vizion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Turn up the jules and see if that gets a little more vape. Then turn the temp up. Work both up slowly like 5j at a time and 10°f at a time.

The thing is..i have another IPV5 and I vape at 45J@450F and i can taste the flavor and make decent vapor production. The odd thing is...the tanks dont screw the same way? not sure if that affects anything lol

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What do you mean they dont screw the same way? same tank? Same mod? Correct?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is..i have another IPV5 and I vape at 45J@450F and i can taste the flavor and make decent vapor production. The odd thing is...the tanks dont screw the same way? not sure if that affects anything lol
That sheds new light on your problem. Is it possible you cross threaded the tank on it? Check the threads, also check the 510 pin to make sure it moves freely up and down.

vizion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That sheds new light on your problem. Is it possible you cross threaded the tank on it? Check the threads, also check the 510 pin to make sure it moves freely up and down.

Its the same tank. On one IPV5..i can unscrew the Herakles no problem; but on the other one..its seems to be stuck and harder to unscrew out. The "ON-OFF" picture on the tank usually faces directly me, but on this newer IPV5..the "ON-OFF" is now to the side. Hope it makes sense. I will check the threading, but what am i looking for exactly?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Compare the IPV5's threads that are working good to one you are having problems with. See if you notice if they look different (ie chewed up)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
well, its tc, so if its one tank and two mods and youre firing on one, then bouncing to the other then you'll have an issue BECUASE the atty is warm and the mod is cold.
Or
If its the threading and its crunchy or hard to screw and fighting you, you could have a bad 510 on the mod which could screw up the 510 on the tank. Then screw up the 510 on the other mod.

As far as it not sitting in the same spot, that's no biggie. That just happens.

vizion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like one has damaged threads and the tank isn't making good contact. Does the resistance read the same on both mods?

Not by much. I get .2~.22

Compare the IPV5's threads that are working good to one you are having problems with. See if you notice if they look different (ie chewed up)
eveyrthing looks to be the same..I put it in power mode and it vapes fine..its just when i go into TC where the problem happens. Id take a huge hit in TC but felt as if i got nothing out of it

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Are you taking the tank off the mod, letting it cool, putting it back on the mod, paring it and then firing it in tc?
You can't bounce back and forth without doing that ^^^ with tc. It needs a solid starting point to work right.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you are, than try lowering your power and raising the temp.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try raising the TCR to 95 it could just be a difference in the mods. If it has a programmed setting for SS does that work.
But the threading thing isn't right.

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like one has damaged threads and the tank isn't making good contact. Does the cold resistance read the same on both mods?
I just bought the IPV5. Vapes excellent in power, nickel except SS. I called KMG Imports because it was not Vaping in there SS mode and they gave me the TCR for my Uwell Raphael & SMOK TFV4. Once I changed the TCR to .00092 (for both coils and tanks) it Vaped like a beast. I then wanted to try another tank and then went back to TCR and my TFV4 will not fire at all. Now it fires in the SS mode when it initially would not fire in that setting originally but not in TCR. My Uwell Raphael will not fire in there SS Mode or in TCR? Any suggestions?

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try raising the TCR to 95 it could just be a difference in the mods. If it has a programmed setting for SS does that work.
But the threading thing isn't right.
Yes and I swapped out the SS in the Raphael for nickel and it Vaped perfectly

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I might have fixed it. I jacket up the TCR to 125 and its pulling big clouds on the Raphael but its pulsing. Not sure if that's good or bad

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the fix for both tanks. Keep jacking up the TCR now at 0150 and they are working great

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I might have fixed it. I jacket up the TCR to 125 and its pulling big clouds on the Raphael but its pulsing. Not sure if that's good or bad
What joules setting are you using. If it's too high it will cause pulsing because the chip is working too hard bring it down to temp.

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I have been doing. Originally when it fired at .00092 I was able to bring down the temperature to 350 at 50 Joules but when .00092 stopped working and I went back to their SS setting I had to up everything. Now that everything is working right in TCR mode at .0150 I have brought down the temperature from 500F at 100Js to 325F at 50js and it seems to be working great. I think that is the fix.. Possibly until it doesn't fire at .0150 TCR

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just as a reference I run my IPV4s at 50J 500F and my D2 at 45J 500F both with Ti 1 wire for a good smooth vape. My SXmini 40J 400F TCR 095 and my eVic mini at 45 watts 420F TCR 125 both with SS316L.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you locking the the resistance of the tank at room temperature by holding the up and down buttons? You only do it once, when you put in a new coil. You don't do it again until you change tanks or coils. You need to do it before firing (it has to be at room temperature)

If that's not the problem, it sounds like you're resistance is not stable. A bad connection somewhere, either the heads to the atty or the atty to the mod.

Cheers,
Steve

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you locking the the resistance of the tank at room temperature by holding the up and down buttons?
That's very important on YIHI chips. Also try cleaning the 510 with a q-tip and alcohol it sounds like a stability problem going on.

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for everyone's response's. Yes I always lock my resistance first and my coil is cold. I just received the IPV5 yesterday and I will try to wipe it down w/ rubbing alcohol with a cutip even though I would be shocked if it was dirty but it's worth a shot. I'll, post if I have had success.
I'm going to call KMG-imports for technical support as they whole sale and fix a ton of different Mods and a host of manufacturers plus have an awesome customer support with any questions whom I'll call when they open on Monday.

When I had a problem like this, I made a spaced coil bc I had read somewhere about making ss coils and when making a compressed coil that it may arc causing your problem.

dgnyc77

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I appreciate your feedback but I do not build my own coils I buy them. Heard of too many people having their mods blow up on them and I do not want to lose and teeth. And suggestions since I buy them????

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I appreciate your feedback but I do not build my own coils I buy them. Heard of too many people having their mods blow up on them and I do not want to lose and teeth. And suggestions since I buy them????
That danger exist with mechanical mods; it would take a whole lot of fucking up to detonate the IPV5... I use a Herakles Plus for SS temp on a RX and VTC and have not had any real issues. I have found that the coils take quite a while to break in but last forever.

It seems the IPV5 currently only supports 304L stainless in "Stainless" TC mode

Perhaps that's the issue?

Are you using 316L or 304L??

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems the IPV5 currently only supports 304L stainless in "Stainless" TC mode

Perhaps that's the issue?

Are you using 316L or 304L??
Just in the pre-sets but using the TCR settings you can use both.

VU Sponsors