Become a Patron!

temp controlled box mod options...?

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so i am interested in getting a temp controlled box mod, but i am unsure where to start. i realize the temp controlled stuff is new so im not really sure how many options are available.

im coming from mechs and LOVE my tarsius Prime. so i am hoping that there is a nice, small, and not fugly looking option available. im not really interested in vv/vw, but def in the temp control aspect. this is for safety. id prefer to keep using my mechs and not mess with any box mod, but if i can eliminate more health risks with a box mod then inam interested.

so what are my options?

any help is appreciated!

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your options are going to be
a. Evolv dna 40
b. Yi-Hi SX350J to be released shortly
c. Clone chips from various manufacturers that are hitting the market currently.

You will have to do your research to see what one is going to work best for you. Myself I am going to be keeping an eye on the yihi chip.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
right on Fictitious!

what about suppliers? where would you recommend shopping for these mods?

oh and a MUST have for me is a replaceable battery. i really HATE devices that need to be charged.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
right on Fictitious!

oh and a MUST have for me is a replaceable battery. i really HATE devices that need to be charged.
For a Evolv dna 40 the most mainstream would be Vapor Flask, Hana Modz ( I like the dual batt dv4), Vaporshark, there are a great many mod makers using the evolve board so you can search around, but the above are the most readily available for instant gratification.

The yi-hi SX350J board currently is a pre-order for the YiHi SX Mini m class. Myself I would wait and make sure it is ready and not rushed for release. After it's official release they should end up being in quite a few mods.

For the clone chip those are probably easiest found in the dna 40 clones like the Hana and the Flask.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
right on Fictitious!

I was in the same boat a while ago, I wanted a temp device, but having a authentic evlov chip was a must and I wanted a well known mod. That left me with the vaporflask, vaporshark rDNA40, and the various hana modz. I figured a dual battery hana would be ok, because it can charge the batteries and two should be enough. But i didn't like the size it, and it still bothered me that the battery door was held on by screws....my magnetic door sigelei spoiled me.

I ended up ordering a vaporshark RNA40. It has a magnetic battery door and uses a single 18650. and its fairly compact. the current version has a feature that is called "zip charge" it is supposed to charge really quickly using a 2A usb port. It also has a built in wireless charging receiver...it works with Qi charging pads. And the battery can be swapped with ease.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The yi-hi SX350J board currently is a pre-order for the YiHi SX Mini m class. Myself I would wait and make sure it is ready and not rushed for release. After it's official release they should end up being in quite a few mods.

the one thing that i do like about the YiHi chip is that it goes to a higher wattage (120W) that could come in handy when wanting to exceed 40W using kanthal. I also like that it goes down to 0.07ohms using nickel rather than the 0.1ohms on the evlov dna40.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As for the Evolv DNA40....the only mod equipped with that one that you are likely to find available are the Vaporshark and the BAP.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Waiting on the new sx350j sx mini myself.
That's going to be a winner, I need more than 40w so I will pass on the dna and wait it out.

VapeJohn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
does anyone know if the sx350j are the same dimensions as the SX350? varitube has a nice DIY kit for a great price and if they are the same dimensions YIPPIE!

Wait, they are of a different lay out :/

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They both go in the sx mini so I would think they are the same dimensions. The details are on yihi's website.
Edit:
The sx mini has the 350 mini chip... not the one the diy box is probably set up for.
Maybe thsy have a regular size 350j chip though, check yihi's site for info.

Last edited:

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Waiting on the new sx350j sx mini myself.
That's going to be a winner, I need more than 40w so I will pass on the dna and wait it out.
not a bad idea, i really like that it goes down to 0.07 ohms with ni200, and going over 40W would be nice for some of my 0.5-0.6 kanthal builds.

but i just got the shipping notice on my vaporshark lol

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not a bad idea, i really like that it goes down to 0.07 ohms with ni200, and going over 40W would be nice for some of my 0.5-0.6 kanthal builds.

but i just got the shipping notice on my vaporshark lol

the VS is very nice. I vape at about 30w most of the time with an orchid & hobo but every once in a while I do like to throw the clt on though and that needs about 45w.

I really want to have the soft, normal and powerful settings too. The step down and all of the 350 brilliance will make me wait. I almost bought a VS last month, glad I didn't, the yihi chip seems to be a better fit for me.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had the VS rdna 40 for about 1.5 months. It's been a great little device in both form and function. We'll see about longevity. The size and feel of this thing is great. Very compact and the metal box with the rubberized coating has a great feel. I got the updated version with the larger screen. Hopefully, all of the bugs have been worked out. I would love to get the Yihi version of temp control when it comes out, but i'll wait and let others be the guinea pigs.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're willing, ready and able to invest $200.00 and must have temperature control then the Vapor Shark is one option to consider, also look into a Hana Mod. The coming Smok M80 Plus is supposed to have that feature as well but priced around $75. I have read that it will take nickel wire Ni200 temperature sensing coils with a resistance between 0.1- 2.0 ohms according to a representative of Smoktech. It comes with a very large built in 4400 milliamp battery as well which will give you several days use on a charge. Performance will be determined after it is released around the middle of March along with any revisions. Good luck in finding the right mod for your needs...:)

Last edited:

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Smok M80 now in stock for $56 bucks at myvaporstore.com I am considering it.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Smok M80 now in stock for $55 bucks at myvaporstore.com I am considering it.

The vendor is very good I can vouch for them. They have good customer service and fast shipping. I'm shocked as to how low the price is, for $55 it's a steal and an incredible bargain. I will post the information on the M80 thread so people can pick them up. Thank you.

Here's the direct link for anyone interested in getting one.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/SMOKTech-XPRO-M80-Plus-80W-Box-Mod-p/smok-m80pgd.htm
http://www.myvaporstore.com/SMOKTech-XPRO-M80-Plus-80W-Box-Mod-p/smok-m80psl.htm

Last edited:

VapeJohn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Considering the smok m80 with TC is cheaper than their m50, something has to not be right. You would think with TC it would be priced higher. what gives?

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're willing, ready and able to invest $200.00 and must have temperature control then the Vapor Shark is one option to consider, also look into a Hana Mod. The coming Smok M80 Plus is supposed to have that feature as well but priced around $75. I have read that it will take nickel wire Ni200 temperature sensing coils with a resistance between 0.1- 2.0 ohms according to a representative of Smoktech. It comes with a very large built in 4400 milliamp battery as well which will give you several days use on a charge. Performance will be determined after it is released around the middle of March along with any revisions. Good luck in finding the right mod for your needs...:)
Smok M80 now in stock for $56 bucks at myvaporstore.com I am considering it.

wow that M80 is VERY close to what im looking for. the deal breaker is the built in battery. i really want the option to swap it easily. i wonder though if i can somehow mod it with a door of some sort. REALLY like the price. i would take the body/cover off and have it cerakoted. that way i could get creative and lose the smok logo. hmmmm... i suppose its really only weeks or months before lots of more stuff like this starts popping up.

what to do?

*EDIT* i just noticed i was looking at the M50 and thinking it was the M80. the extra size of the M8 does sort of turn me off on it a bit. more waiting it seams. i really like the build quality of those devices though. they look well made.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
wow that M80 is VERY close to what im looking for. the deal breaker is the built in battery. i really want the option to swap it easily. i wonder though if i can somehow mod it with a door of some sort. REALLY like the price. i would take the body/cover off and have it cerakoted. that way i could get creative and lose the smok logo. hmmmm... i suppose its really only weeks or months before lots of more stuff like this starts popping up.

what to do?

*EDIT* i just noticed i was looking at the M50 and thinking it was the M80. the extra size of the M8 does sort of turn me off on it a bit. more waiting it seams. i really like the build quality of those devices though. they look well made.

Hcigar just announced their HB DNA 40 for 112.00 for pre-order. Not sure how good it is but it is an authentic affordable DNA 40. http://sweet-vapes.com/hcigar-hb-dna-40-40-watt.html

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hcigar just announced their HB DNA 40 for 112.00 for pre-order. Not sure how good it is but it is an authentic affordable DNA 40. http://sweet-vapes.com/hcigar-hb-dna-40-40-watt.html

nice! battery replacement looks good, but im not sure about the magnet door. could be totally a non issue though. price is a bit high. i really think id like to build something myself, but not sure about the screen and how to construct that. does someone sell little windows or screens that can be applied to a box of my choosing?

VapeJohn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
nice! battery replacement looks good, but im not sure about the magnet door. could be totally a non issue though. price is a bit high. i really think id like to build something myself, but not sure about the screen and how to construct that. does someone sell little windows or screens that can be applied to a box of my choosing?

Home depot sell's acrylic and plexiglass sheets for cheap. Just have to cut it to size. LINK: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building...Zc9x2?browsestoreoption=1&Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk, from the looks of the videos and what reviews are out there, it's kinda striking me as "close but not quite there with Evolv's chip yet".
That's why I am tempted. After a few versions it might be a bit better and versions happen pretty fast in vape gear.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My brother has the smoke m80 with the "new" chip and said it's v006 but acts just like my first batch upgraded to v005 so don't bother with it get a ipv4

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Smoke just answered my email about if my v5 should be upgrade to v6 they said.....

Thanks for choosing SMOK product.

The version of V006 is the same with that of V005, so there is no need to update. Any updates in the future, we will release the new program for dowmloading. Thanks!

Kyle M.

Member For 4 Years
If you don't mind having to take out two screws to swap batteries I would look at the Hana Modz DNA 40, either the V3, V4S, or V4d. I've had my V3 for about two weeks and out of all the mods I've used it's my favorite so far. They had quite a few in stock when I ordered mine, and you can now order directly through the Hana Modz site. I'm sure with a little tinkering you could find a way to use magnets instead of the screws, personally I've never messed with it because I never run it completely dead during the day and don't mind plugging it in to charge at night.

Last edited:

JB-VA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I j
HB 40 first impressions
I just got mine today. I think the magnet door is pretty secure, compared with the clouper anyway. It is notched so it doesn't slide sideways and it has magnet bars, not buttons. My perception of build quality is subjective, but I'd give it high marks for fit and finish. No sharp corners or edges on the outside. Clicky buttons and the fire button is tactilely discernible from the up and down buttons, which are also easy to discern from the surface as well as funtionally. It has a copper manually adjustable pin that is small enough I don't see it shorting on an atomizer. The manual is understandable. It comes with a retracting usb cable (a cable is such a cheap item, I don't know why anyone with leave it out.) It doesn't come with ego/510 converter, but really, that doesn't make much sense with this unit. Every battery needs to be charged. Not too many ego tanks/carts are going on this mod. Nice packaging.
Sadly, I can't tell you how it works since I don't have any suitable coil heads to try. But I will get a charged battery in it tonight and see how it works in regular mode.
On the one hand, 40 watts seems like the low end of the current spectrum. On the other hand, how much are you going to safely get out of a single battery? And two batteries would make it big and heavy enough, for me it would limit portability. It is significantly larger than a lot of similar single battery alternatives.
We'll see how it performs. I might have said some of the same things about my smok pro m65 before I got this one. I think this one (the HB40) is nicer. And I'm not so happy with the M65 battery performance.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My. Hb40 will be delivered today I'll let y'all know of it stacks up to my other dna40 mods. At a $100 shipped I couldn't pass it up.

JB-VA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, after three days on the initial charge, I am pretty happy with this. It does go into temp. protection often and that with a .25 ohm coil at 25-28 watts. That isn't a problem, it just shows its doing what it is supposed to do.
It's a little big for my comfort, but easy for me to reach the power button left or right handed. It is not heavy.
The menus make sense to me. It is rather dim and then it dims further quickly.
It has a little red light to indicate it's charging on USB. I would rather it gave me status on the screen (like the Smok does). Otherwise it tells me what I want to know including the last ohm reading on the coil. It provides information while you are vaping, but of course you can't see it.
Currently running @ .25ohms @450 deg. on a Gimlet and it it both cool and copious cloud maker.
For the price, it's hard to beat.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Quick update hb40 is better then the vapor shark. Does not have the refinement issues at all. Vapor sharks read .01-.02 higher with any Atty I use.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure what refinement issues you're talking about. Save for the stupid DNA40 board's idiosyncracies, I have no problems with rDNA v2. My atomizer read the same resistance on my Vaporflask and on my Vaporshark, and the VS' super-short charge time can't be beat.

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see anything wrong with screws on batt door, not like they'd need to come out on a regular basis...image.jpgI can't say anything about the "glitches" and such with DNA, according to Hana everything they sell, and ship to their retailers is the updated latest version chips. Guess we'll see!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
HB40
ef5dfe524d4e47b9303ceb895f13546f.jpg

VapeJohn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
More authentic DNA40 mods coming out in june!!! also, all manufacturers are releasing a temp control mod in the future!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

VU Sponsors