Take a moment to help a great program

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My son Ethan has autism and competes in Special Olympics.

This year Special Olympics is one of 5 finalists to win a $125,000 grant from the Lids Foundation (yes the hat maker).

All it takes is a moment to vote http://www.lidsfoundation.org/2015voting/

Any help you can lend to this great organization that helps developmentally disabled people improve their health, wellbeing, self image, and social interactions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill and Ethan

038.jpg

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
voted for S.O.

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This year Special Olympics is one of 5 finalists to win a $125,000 grant from the Lids Foundation (yes the hat maker).

Any help you can lend to this great organization that helps developmentally disabled people improve their health, wellbeing, self image, and social interactions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill and Ethan

038.jpg
Thanks for putting that out Inmyimage, have been a staunch supporter of Autism Speaks for years. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You had to go and make that a hard one for me didn't you!! I voted Special Olympics Indiana, My son was granted a wish from make a wish foundation so that is one of the ones that is close to my heart be glad Cystic Fibrosis was not on the list THAT would have been hard!!!
He is a little doll good thing he gets his looks from his mommy!!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I voted Special Olympics Indiana

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Before I vote...You know which one takes out less for administrators and gives more to the ones that really need the money?..That will be the one I'll vote for

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks folks.

@Just Me Sorry for the hard choice. I honestly figured some people would pick other orgs once they saw the options. They are all great organizations that help lots of people.

@No Ash More Cash Thanks for looking and giving some thought to the right group to vote for. I honestly don't know what the overhead of each group is, but these are all the Indiana state chapters vs national and within the state almost all the money for each goes directly to the cause of each group with very little overhead for paid employees. Lids corp is an Indiana company and is a big supporter of special needs programs throughout the state. Any choice you make will go to a good organization and the money will directly help people at a local level. As for greatest reach... I will say that SO probably spreads the money out over more people simply because of the focus of the organization. Most of the money goes towards facility fees for groups of individuals to participate in sports.

Thanks everyone!

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks folks.

@Just Me Sorry for the hard choice. I honestly figured some people would pick other orgs once they saw the options. They are all great organizations that help lots of people.

@No Ash More Cash Thanks for looking and giving some thought to the right group to vote for. I honestly don't know what the overhead of each group is, but these are all the Indiana state chapters vs national and within the state almost all the money for each goes directly to the cause of each group with very little overhead for paid employees. Lids corp is an Indiana company and is a big supporter of special needs programs throughout the state. Any choice you make will go to a good organization and the money will directly help people at a local level. As for greatest reach... I will say that SO probably spreads the money out over more people simply because of the focus of the organization. Most of the money goes towards facility fees for groups of individuals to participate in sports.

Thanks everyone!
I'm looking into it now but it might take some time....I know they are all for good course's but when the Admin takes more of a percentage then what the purpose is ...Well I just don't like that! and would rather see the money go to a charity with a lower percentage to the Admin or overhead and go to the people who really need it

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK...I really didn't find much on these apart from Make A Wish but.I will vote for whatever IMI wants it to go too...I did find this interesting list of worst ones...You can see where I'm coming from with the Percentage of money going to Admins, overheads and soliciting costs
The worst charities, ranked by money blown on soliciting costs
http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow! That is really impressive!
Ya Cff is at 98% Make a wish is up there as well. Some times you will see that one fundraiser has a higher ratio but another for the same organization is a lower %. I learned all this while working on fundraising campaigns for CF. I also no that my sons DR started a fund for kids that can not afford proper medications, treatment and such his is 100%. He use to take money from his own pocket and when he came to me to get started I reasearched a lot.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK...I really didn't find much on these apart from Make A Wish but.I will vote for whatever IMI wants it to go too...I did find this interesting list of worst ones...You can see where I'm coming from with the Percentage of money going to Admins, overheads and soliciting costs
The worst charities, ranked by money blown on soliciting costs
http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/
Interesting info in that link. Surprised to see so many police related foundations on that list. Although I know that you aren't ;)

Thanks again for taking the time. In Indiana all these orgs do good work and were worthy of a vote whichever one you chose.

spoiled.brat.in.wv

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks,

Bill and Ethan

038.jpg
Voted :)

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Interesting info in that link. Surprised to see so many police related foundations on that list. Although I know that you aren't ;)

Thanks again for taking the time. In Indiana all these orgs do good work and were worthy of a vote whichever one you chose.
I did vote for SO if you really want to know but it was a vote and me not giving the money...I'm not shocked at all that so many in the "worst list" where police related foundations ...Like I said.. I like to know where the percentage of money goes...I'm giving the money to the people who need it and not to the people running it...it's kinda pointless if only 2% (in some cases) of the money goes to the people who needs it's and the rest is just supporting the people running it

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thanks,

Bill and Ethan

038.jpg
Your son is handsome. My 11yr old niece has autism. I'll definitely click on that link.

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks folks.

Thanks everyone!
Done! Here's my niece on Halloween as Wynnie Wonka!
Wynnie Wonka.jpg

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Done and Done.

Vote entered for S.O.

If you had asked me to vote for the charity terrorist at the United Way, things would not have not been well for you as last I heard they had the highest Admin cost of any charity.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Done and Done.

Vote entered for S.O.

If you had asked me to vote for the charity terrorist at the United Way, things would not have not been well for you as last I heard they had the highest Admin cost of any charity.
Agree 100%. Really hate the amount of pressure that employers put on employees to have donations automatically deducted from their paychecks for United Way!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She's cute. How severe? Normally girls with autism are 10x worse, but boys get diagnosed 10x more.
It's frustrating. We can't really get a definitive answer about her diagnosis and where she is on the spectrum. All I can do is describe her behavior and some of it is not what I'd like to make public. Then, on the other hand, she will say and do things with the wisdom and intelligence of an adult. It's all so very strange.

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hope Ethan keeps racking up metals! I was happy to vote for the S.O.. The Shrivers founded some wonderful organizations. The World Summer Games are gonna be here this July. Signing up to volunteer.

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Voted for S.O. Indiana! I work as a coach here in New Jersey and before that in New York. Special Olympics always has place in my heart. Good luck in this and to your sons next event.

VU Sponsors