Become a Patron!

Subtank mini RBA too hot

I have a subtank mini and I hate buying coils so I rebuild on the deck that is included. The lung hits are very harsh. My current coil runs .6 ohms. I'm not sure if I should move the coil up/down or use more/less cotton. I use .6 nic juice but I only have an issue when I rebuild. The cool glows inside out with no hotspots. I simply want a smooth vape, any help appreciated

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might try building higher resistance. I also had to move to 3mg on the STMs!

So build a coil at least 1 ohm and see ilf that's better!
I'll try that thank you, I was also wondering if pushing the coil close to the bottom of the deck or higher towards the chimney will get more air around the coil to cool it, or just have it dead center

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll try that thank you, I was also wondering if pushing the coil close to the bottom of the deck or higher towards the chimney will get more air around the coil to cool it, or just have it dead center

Hmm, I suppose raising it perhaps? But I think building at a higher resistance would be more helpful (jmho)!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not sure, what the ID of your coil is. You get better airflow with a 2.5 mm ID coil. Another thing I can think of besides lowering nicotine, you could try a higher VG level in your e-juice. I'm using 80VG/20PG in all of my RBAs, including the Kanger Subtank.

I'm not sure, what the ID of your coil is. You get better airflow with a 2.5 mm ID coil. Another thing I can think of besides lowering nicotine, you could try a higher VG level in your e-juice. I'm using 80VG/20PG in all of my RBAs, including the Kanger Subtank.
My juice is 80/20, but I remember playing with the coil, and one time it came out perfect but I forget if I moved it up or down. I just read a post that said the closer the coil to the air hole the better, can you or anyone else validate that?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It makes more sense to have the coil closer to the air hole, due to a more direct airflow to the coil, rather than eventual turbulences.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I put the coil as close to the air hole as possible, drops temp and reduces the irritating spitting. Diameter of my builds are 2.4-3mm. Try 24 gauge/ 0.50mm, 3mm diameter 6-7 wraps for a nice cool coil.

Last edited:

drowland32

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I do 6 wraps with 26g and it comes out to .8 ohms when all is said and done. I place the coil so the center is even with the tops of the posts. I run it at 28.1 watts and haven't had any issues. Also I do a 3 mm ID.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do 6 wraps with 26g and it comes out to .8 ohms when all is said and done. I place the coil so the center is even with the tops of the posts. I run it at 28.1 watts and haven't had any issues. Also I do a 3 mm ID.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Agree! If you put a 3mm diameter coil too low it will block too much of the airflow. If the cotton is too tight inside the wick, it will vape hotter and spit; keep it nice and slidey..

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After finding out that the Kbox Mini doesn't do step down voltage well, I put a 0.9 ohm coil (3mm ID, 26g) into the RBA and it's working very well with no excess heat or spitting. Showing 4.0 volts at 18 watts and 3.7 @ 16W. I like it at 19-22W.

Last edited:

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Subtank was also too hot for me when I got it. The first thing to change was the stock drip tip. I use a delrin drip tip & build to about 1-1.2ohms on a 2.5mm rod. My vapes are cool, cloudy and very comfortable. I also can't recommend the UD 28g twisted wire enough for this tank. It gives better flavor and almost no spit back.

Flavor chasing for subtank is 1.4ohm. Have you boiled the cotton? 3.0mm diameter coils with fluffy wicks should also help to reduce dry hits

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Flavor chasing for subtank is 1.4ohm. Have you boiled the cotton? 3.0mm diameter coils with fluffy wicks should also help to reduce dry hits

Boiling cotton isn't at all necessary as long as it's organic. Also, a 3mm 1.4ohm coil can seriously reduce the airflow in the tiny Subtank RBA section. It works fine on other tanks, but the RBA is so small in the Subtank. I'd stick to 2.5mm coils unless they're vertical.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a subtank mini and I hate buying coils so I rebuild on the deck that is included. The lung hits are very harsh. My current coil runs .6 ohms. I'm not sure if I should move the coil up/down or use more/less cotton. I use .6 nic juice but I only have an issue when I rebuild. The cool glows inside out with no hotspots. I simply want a smooth vape, any help appreciated

How much power? I have a 1.4 ohm, 6 or 7 wraps 28g ~ 3mm? maybe larger. Lot of wire in there. Run it at 20-30 watts. 12 or 18 mg NIC. I mouth to lung. Never hot. I can lung, and its OK, i just don't like doing that. I mean, its not weed!

VU Sponsors