Become a Patron!

Subtank Mini RBA Plus Wicking

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have the new SUbox Mini Starter kit and I've been having issues getting the wicking down on the RBA section. The RBA is of the newer variety with the 3mm juice holes located on the side of the RBA. At first I was getting dry hits, but solved that by using less wick. Now I am having spitting issues. A lot of juice is collecting under the mouthpiece quicker than I think it should. Every 4-5 hits I need to uncap the mouthpiece and clean it out or I inhale small droplets of juice. I have tried pulling the cotton wick through the juice holes and trimming it, I've tried cutting it right at the sidewalls. I use some thin juice, 50/50 just because I was having those wicking issues at first. Anyone have this particular RBA and have a method to wicking it where you don't get dry hits above 20w? I can include pics of how I wick it if needed.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
There is a video somewhere that describes how I wick but I am damned if I know where it was.

Try this. Insert your wick in the coil. Take the two wick ends and pull them up to make a "U" with the coil being at the bottom of the "U". Then take the center or chimney section of the RBA and slide it down over the two ends of the wick and screw into place leaving the wick ends sticking out of the top. Trim the wick leaving about 1/8" of each end sticking up from the top of the center section. Take a small flat head screwdriver and gently tuck each wick end in the bottom of the RBA deck to cover the holes. Prime with a few drops of E-Liquid, attach the top section, fill the tank and install the RBA head into the base and button the whole thing up. Give it a minute or so to sit and then vape.

Easy peasy! Should work for you.

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, I've found that works but I tend to get dry hits and less airflow than I like from not using a very conservative amount of wick. That's how I originally wicked it. I did get some Cotton Bacon though which wicks better than the Japanese Cotton that came with the tank. I forget if I tried it with that. Right now I have a twisted 26g 5 wraps on w/ a 2.55mm diameter coil in there running at .5ohms. I can fire it at 50w all day for 2-3 second hits but like I said it spits to much for my liking. I'd rather have it be able to chain vape at 35w with good airflow and flavor.

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is how I have it wicked now. Very sparing on the cotton because I like a loose drag.

Attachments

• 20150626_123946-1.jpg
    20150626_123946-1.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 48

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, that video is great for the older style Subtank that wicks from the bottom, similar to the Delta II RBA, this new Subtank Mini plus RBA wicks from the side and the wick holes are quite large, 3mm. Didn't really have dry hit issues. I'm just weirded out by the amount of juice I get in the mouthpiece

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think more cotton wick did it. It hits tighter, but it resolved the spitting. Guess I can't have the best of all worlds, no dry hits at 35w, no spitting, tighter draw. Might open the top up and condense the sides of the wick a bit to clear up some airflow issues. I'm starting to think a RDA might be in my future, just carry my tank in my car. Don't wanna be dripping while doing 80mph down thethe highway.

VU Sponsors