Become a Patron!

steam engine?

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone vaping it and can share their thoughts on it? I'm considering replacing my crown with it because my crown goes through 2 coils a week....

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone vaping it and can share their thoughts on it? I'm considering replacing my crown with it because my crown goes through 2 coils a week....
I replaced my Crown tanks with Steam Engine's. When I got a "good" .25 ohm Crown coil (it was very rare, maybe 1 out of every 4 pack), I preferred the flavor of the Crown to the flat or parallel Steam Engine coils. But the clouds were very similar. The clapton Steam Engine coil provides even better flavor then I got from the Crown but not the clouds as they just can't handle as much power. As far as coil life, there is no similarity. I ran the .25 Crown at an average of 58.5 Watts and would never get more than 50ml of juice ran through a coil. Usually wasting the first 2-5ml breaking in the coil. With the parallel Steam Engine coils, I run them at 60 Watts and usually change them after 150ml because I can tell they are starting to go. With the clapton coils at 45 Watts I usually change the coils because I am ready for a flavor change before the coil goes out. I have ran over 300ml through one of the clapton coils and was still satisfied with the flavor and vapor production. I really didn't care for the flavor the flat coils provide. I run everything from 50/50 to max vg juices and the Steam Engine has never leaked more than a drop, or given me dry hits.

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the very informative response. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a crown issue with the coils. I am vaping the .5 coils at 40 to 45 watts. So it sounds like the .7 Clapton would fit the bill for me.

Any problems with the black tank as far as leaks or losing finish is concerned?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm interested to hear more about this! I absolutely love my Crowns, but with the amount of vape I'm replacing the coil every day or two. If the flavor is as good in another tank with longer lasting coils I'd give it a try!

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn... I first misread the thread as replacement coils for the Crown. :p

Oh well... would have been nice, but I can't deal with another new tank just now. :confused:

:D

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the .7 in my steam engine at 60 watts (70 watts provided the burnt taste) and the coils have been lasting between 60 and 80 ml. For me that is 2 - 4 days depending if it is a work day or weekend. With the particular mix I use, I get a bit more flavor and definitely more vapor production from the steam engine. However that could just be my mix.
Grape / Strawberry Bubblegum v3
Nicotine 100 mg (100% VG) - 2.40%
PG - 24.24%
VG - 75.76%
Grape Juice (TPA) - 7.20%
Grape Candy (TPA) - 7.20%
Strawberry (TPA) - 7.00%
Bubblegum (TPA) - 7.00%
Sweetener (ECX) - 3.20%
I was making 500ml per mixing session but it'd only last 22 days so I increased to 1000ml per mixing session.
I use this mix in The Herakles, Herakles Plus, Crown, and TFV4.
I bounce these around on the Cuboid, KBOX 200, Reuleaux RX200, iStick TC100, and iStick 100 depending on the mood I am in.
Each one provides a different flavor/vapor mix but all are extremely sweet.
It is the sweet that causes the short life span on the coils.
Creams and bakery types will also shorted the life span.
I continue to TRY to get away from this amazing flavor so I can get more life from my coils but it's just too damn good.
I know this isn't the place for a recipe but it shows how sweet the mix is and helps explain how the super sweet will definitely shorten the coil life.
Especially when you go through as much as I do.

Not entirely certain if this actually provides any info that helps you or not but wanted to share.
Mostly about the sweet vapes and the result of them.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the .7 in my steam engine at 60 watts (70 watts provided the burnt taste) and the coils have been lasting between 60 and 80 ml. For me that is 2 - 4 days depending if it is a work day or weekend. With the particular mix I use, I get a bit more flavor and definitely more vapor production from the steam engine. However that could just be my mix.
Grape / Strawberry Bubblegum v3
Nicotine 100 mg (100% VG) - 2.40%
PG - 24.24%
VG - 75.76%
Grape Juice (TPA) - 7.20%
Grape Candy (TPA) - 7.20%
Strawberry (TPA) - 7.00%
Bubblegum (TPA) - 7.00%
Sweetener (ECX) - 3.20%
I was making 500ml per mixing session but it'd only last 22 days so I increased to 1000ml per mixing session.
I use this mix in The Herakles, Herakles Plus, Crown, and TFV4.
I bounce these around on the Cuboid, KBOX 200, Reuleaux RX200, iStick TC100, and iStick 100 depending on the mood I am in.
Each one provides a different flavor/vapor mix but all are extremely sweet.
It is the sweet that causes the short life span on the coils.
Creams and bakery types will also shorted the life span.
I continue to TRY to get away from this amazing flavor so I can get more life from my coils but it's just too damn good.
I know this isn't the place for a recipe but it shows how sweet the mix is and helps explain how the super sweet will definitely shorten the coil life.
Especially when you go through as much as I do.

Not entirely certain if this actually provides any info that helps you or not but wanted to share.
Mostly about the sweet vapes and the result of them.
It's not so much the sweetness as the huge amount of flavor you're using - more than 30%! My mixes are usually around 8%, and I still only get around 50mls out of a crown coil! But I'm not going to bother to switch tanks for another 30 ms (one more day). I really want a tank (if it exists) with OCC coils that last at least 100mls or so - more would be better :)

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, but I have no experience with anything other than SS. I stopped buying anything vape related that isn't SS because of far too many bad experiences with finishes chipping, tarnishing and pealing.

I'm interested to hear more about this! I absolutely love my Crowns, but with the amount of vape I'm replacing the coil every day or two. If the flavor is as good in another tank with longer lasting coils I'd give it a try!
6 months ago, the Crown was my tank of choice. I started looking for other options shortly later as coil quality, consistency and life were really starting to piss me off. Not to mention my customers were complaining about the same things. I have tried just about everything on the market and the Steam Engine is my personal favorite.

Just about everything out there is a compromise in one way or another, With the Crown you have an incredibly well made tank with the potential for exceptional flavor. But the issues with coils eventually lead a lot of people away from it. The Herakles Plus is great except the damn juice flow control breaks frequently making your tank useless and too little wicking material in the coil make it more likely to leak. The Gigue Aeolus Mini is awesome except that damn fan noise gets annoying pretty quick and it is hard if not impossible to find coils. The TFV4 can be pretty awesome but it also has the greatest propensity of any tank to suffer catastrophic leaks and the only coils worth a damn for flavor are expensive and meant to be used at higher power levels making it more of a niche product. Even the Steam Engine has one thing I don't like. The 2 piece drip tip comes apart way to easily but is otherwise awesome. But a single drop of loctite or a different drip tip, and bam, no more complaints.

I have a lot of gear in rotation, including 3 Steam Engines, and being a flavor chaser quite a few RDAs and RTAs also. Lately I am always grabbing the Steam Engines. Any flavor benefit in using the other gear is so small that it is more than offset by the convenience of the Steam Engine.

I use the .7 in my steam engine at 60 watts (70 watts provided the burnt taste) and the coils have been lasting between 60 and 80 ml.
The .7 clapton coil is only rated for up to 50 Watts. If you dropped down within the specified range your coil life would improve. When I tried pushing them higher I had mixed results with some coils handling it ok and others not liking that extra power at all.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[QUOTE="The .7 clapton coil is only rated for up to 50 Watts. If you dropped down within the specified range your coil life would improve. When I tried pushing them higher I had mixed results with some coils handling it ok and others not liking that extra power at all.[/QUOTE]

Agreed they would indeed last all of 3 tanks longer. I did try it at 50 watts but the flavor was best at 60 watts on the IPV3 Li, 55 watts on the iStick 100, and 50 watts on the Cuboid. Since I have my other mods mixed with what I feel is the best matched tank that only leaves the IPV3 Li so it has to be 60 watts.
I use the Herakles Plus .4 coil on the Cuboid at 70 watts,
Crown with .5 coil on the iStick tc100 at 53 watts,
TFV4 with .15 TF-Q4 coil at 78 watts on the RX200.
I've tested each tank with each coil with each mod I have and once I found what I felt was the absolute best flavor and vapor production for each setup, I locked them in and logged it all.
Each time I get a new tank or mod I go through the same process.
Maybe a little OCD but it's my way.

Just incase anyone else wasn't aware of the specs for the .7 coil in the steam engine I appreciate you providing the info.
(and yes, good catch on your part for noticing I am running above the advertised spec range)
((definitely was NOT trying to be sarcastic but since you cannot see my grinning expression I felt the need to double comment this))

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the very informative response. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a crown issue with the coils. I am vaping the .5 coils at 40 to 45 watts. So it sounds like the .7 Clapton would fit the bill for me.

I have had the SS Steam Engine since Christmas and have used it everyday since. I just got the Black Steam Engine about 3 weeks ago and the finish is excellent, it is not a paint, either anodized or something like that.

Right now I am running the parallel coil at about 40 watts, sometimes 45 watts depending on the juice. This the coil I installed about 3 weeks ago but I do not use it exclusively, it does get a full 6ml run through it everyday though.

I like the parallel and clapton coils the best, the ribbon coil was not very good. As already stated the clapton is the flavor coil, probably the best flavor of any tank I have. The parallel is good for flavor as well, second behind the clapton though.

The drip tip on the Steam Engine is awesome, it is actually 2 pieces that can be unscrewed and it is designed to keep the tip cool. The tip hardly gets warm with the clapton coil, with the parallel is can get a little hot if your chain vaping at high wattages but not like some of my other tanks.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well i sit here with the steam engine after using the other two coil options in the package. all with the same flavor and i can say i am loving the clapton so far the most. i get great flavor and a nice cloud at 45 watts.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me personally I didn't care for the drip tip. With its wide flat top ring, it just allows juice to sit there for my next draw.
I've replaced it with the tip from my Crown.
For that matter, I have Crown tips on all my tanks except for the Herakles.
The tips on those are just fine.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, now I see why the Steam Engine is a nice tank. I believe my first 2 coils, including the one pre installed in the tank and 1 of the 2 in the box, were both DOA or just bad coils. Chinese QC at its' finest, like the totally unusable Nautilus I just bought.

My Herakles Plus has not leaked a drop. So, I'm convinced the business is a 50/50 crapshoot as it stands now. We don't figure in those costs in advance though.

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I just ordered one. I hope for no leaks and coils that can last at least a week. Hope I'm not asking for too much lol

I have been using a Steam Engine for over a year after trying to find one that would give me the flavor and vape I want I get original Steam Engine coils and one will last thru 45 money easy. I did have a leaking issue at first. To solve this be sure the holes in the coil are covered. The adjustability of this tank is another selling point

I have had my Steamengine tank for about a year and a half now, it is still one of my favorite tanks. I have used all 3 coils in this outstanding tank, the 0.7 ohm coil is way too high for my taste. Not that it is a bad or ineffective coil....far from it, I just prefer a lower ohm coil, the 0.25 ohm flat coil are OK, nothing great nothing bad I get good flavor and decent clouds from this coil. What coil I really like is the 0.25 parallel coil, great flavor, some really outrageous clouds i can crank the wattage up to my usual 60-65 watts, I get just outstanding flavor large poofy clouds, just an all around great coil....for me. As we all know anytime we are dealing with sub tanks or RDAs, or RDTAs even RTAs the coil build the juice you use is all highly subjective. For me I can use the .25 ohm coil even though it is not one of my favorites, juice again I prefer max vg, creams, custards, some fruits, a lot of deserts, even a few of the so called coffee flavors. Currently, I am vaping Pancake Man in my Steamengine tank with the very last of my coils for it, a .25 ohm parallel coil, I had just changed it from the one I was using a .25 ohm flat coil I have been looking for replacement coils at a decent price. A lot of sites have them at $15 and up, not gonna pay $15-$18 dollars plus shipping for 5 coils. SIGH....I will continue to shop, my usual go to Element ape does not have them so I am stuck....any one know where a body can purchase these coils at a somewhat reasonable price, thank you.

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have had my Steamengine tank for about a year and a half now, it is still one of my favorite tanks. I have used all 3 coils in this outstanding tank, the 0.7 ohm coil is way too high for my taste. Not that it is a bad or ineffective coil....far from it, I just prefer a lower ohm coil, the 0.25 ohm flat coil are OK, nothing great nothing bad I get good flavor and decent clouds from this coil. What coil I really like is the 0.25 parallel coil, great flavor, some really outrageous clouds i can crank the wattage up to my usual 60-65 watts, I get just outstanding flavor large poofy clouds, just an all around great coil....for me. As we all know anytime we are dealing with sub tanks or RDAs, or RDTAs even RTAs the coil build the juice you use is all highly subjective. For me I can use the .25 ohm coil even though it is not one of my favorites, juice again I prefer max vg, creams, custards, some fruits, a lot of deserts, even a few of the so called coffee flavors. Currently, I am vaping Pancake Man in my Steamengine tank with the very last of my coils for it, a .25 ohm parallel coil, I had just changed it from the one I was using a .25 ohm flat coil I have been looking for replacement coils at a decent price. A lot of sites have them at $15 and up, not gonna pay $15-$18 dollars plus shipping for 5 coils. SIGH....I will continue to shop, my usual go to Element ape does not have them so I am stuck....any one know where a body can purchase these coils at a somewhat reasonable price, thank you.
Hi ! I really would like to get this tank ... I cannot find coils for it at all? Anyone know anywhere ? That's the problem :( no coils ? Help please ? Tanx

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi again I found the .25 here for 11.00

https://www.availvapor.com/wotofo-stentorian-steam-engine-replacement-coils-5-pack.html

Hope that helps :)

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is this a top fill? I read it wasn’t then someone said it was ? I bought one .. still in the box ... I love the juice capacity .... but I am bummed .. kinda so used to top fill etc.. it’s a nice slim tank with great capacity ... any other tanks you could refer me to? I need at least a 6ml not to thrilled with smok ... I like them but I love my crown much better ... corn fused .. Tanz

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, sorry I have been very ill and have not had the pleasure of checking in here in quite some time. This is a new web site for me, also the y are out of stock on the coils. My luck too little too late.
Hi
I’ve found some places I just kept googeling it .. but since it’s discontinued ... I don’t know ... good luck ... I just looked and looked at each site .. I searched for the coils etc brand etc .. and some sites came up (stores) then I had to go and check they were indeed in stock ...

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use the steam engine diy liquid, and coil making calculator. Thats what I thought this thread was about lol.

VU Sponsors