Star Wars: The Force Awakens

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'm planning on seeing this movie tomorrow being the big Star Wars fan that I am. Is anyone else here planning on seeing it?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm planning on seeing this movie tomorrow being the big Star Wars fan that I am. Is anyone else here planning on seeing it?
Yeah I have to even though I will bet I will be diss appointed by Disney touching it... I will wait until the crowds tone down though.. Its hard to believe I saw the first movie while in Grade school and now all these years later the series is still going

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can't say that I'll see it anytime soon, but I'm really excited that they have another one. Tonight on Conan, he's gonna have some of the cast and crew on.

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I have to even though I will bet I will be diss appointed by Disney touching it... I will wait until the crowds tone down though.. Its hard to believe I saw the first movie while in Grade school and now all these years later the series is still going

Disney just owns Lucasfilm now. Disney also owns Miramax, you know, the film company that put out Kill Bill? They also own Marvel and they've been doing damn good with their comic adaptations. I went and saw it tonight and it was awesome!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Disney just owns Lucasfilm now. Disney also owns Miramax, you know, the film company that put out Kill Bill? They also own Marvel and they've been doing damn good with their comic adaptations. I went and saw it tonight and it was awesome!
Star wars is not a comic adaptation it was a franchise created by George Lucas that no longer is in control of it..

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just as in all the Star Trek sequels and series spin offs, it will suck.
It might work better as a cartoon but would probably suck also

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Star wars is not a comic adaptation it was a franchise created by George Lucas that no longer is in control of it..

Lucas was in control of the prequels, 'nuf said.

Just as in all the Star Trek sequels and series spin offs, it will suck.
It might work better as a cartoon but would probably suck also

Gonna have to disagree with you. It wasn't super awesome amazeballs, but it was pretty decent. Certainly better than any of the prequels. I'll grant you they are a bit of a low bar to clear, but the Force Awakens did pretty good.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Gonna have to disagree with you. It wasn't super awesome amazeballs, but it was pretty decent. Certainly better than any of the prequels. I'll grant you they are a bit of a low bar to clear, but the Force Awakens did pretty good.
And you believe that Mickey mouse and the Magic Kingdom creators will help this how?

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And you believe that Mickey mouse and the Magic Kingdom creators will help this how?

By staying out of the way and letting the writers and directors and people at Lucasfilm do their thing. Disney owns a shit ton of stuff, it's not like they get in the way of everything they own creatively.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By staying out of the way and letting the writers and directors and people at Lucasfilm do their thing. Disney owns a shit ton of stuff, it's not like they get in the way of everything they own creatively.
Lucas is not part of it anymore how can this be leaving someone to do their thing.. I guess I am picturing another ET or some crazy shit crawling out of a X wing :) hehe

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Okay, Ricky. Disagree all you want. As you know some folks like Sigelei
ans some like IPV's. Perhaps our criteria is different.
I worked in the production business and probably have a different set of expectations.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know next their will be an attraction at Disney World/Land complete
with souvenir shop if there isn't already.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You know next there will be an attraction at Disney World/Land complete
with souvenir shop if there isn't already.
One of the most unsettling things i have ever done was back in 97 with my Ex wife rode that stupid ass ET ride at Universal studios I just about freaked out it was insane... It reminded me of a Psychoactive Catcus I ate once where I puked for an hour

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lucas is not part of it anymore how can this be leaving someone to do their thing.. I guess I am picturing another ET or some crazy shit crawling out of a X wing :) hehe

What I'm trying to say is that Disney may own a lot of things, Marvel, Miramax, etc. Despite owning these properties, you don't see Disney stepping all over Marvel, or Miramax's dick when they're trying to make a film or show like Daredevil or Jessica Jones (both dark as hell and badass btw). They own Lucasfilm and the rights to Star Wars as a property, but that doesn't mean they went in and said "OK, these are the guidelines you must follow, blah blah blah". Lucas sold the property for whatever reasons, and honestly, after the hatchet job he did with the prequels, I'm glad he did.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I'm trying to say is that Disney may own a lot of things, Marvel, Miramax, etc. Despite owning these properties, you don't see Disney stepping all over Marvel, or Miramax's dick when they're trying to make a film or show like Daredevil or Jessica Jones (both dark as hell and badass btw). They own Lucasfilm and the rights to Star Wars as a property, but that doesn't mean they went in and said "OK, these are the guidelines you must follow, blah blah blah". Lucas sold the property for whatever reasons, and honestly, after the hatchet job he did with the prequels, I'm glad he did.
Disney is pure Evil

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No sooner did Disney take command of Marvel
they introduced a gay superhero...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Disney productions, every single one have to be in a certain Disney way
and they have their finger in everything from lighting to extras and
politically correct content

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No sooner did Disney take command of Marvel
they introduced a gay superhero...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Disney productions, every single one have to be in a certain Disney way
and they have their finger in everything from lighting to extras and
politically correct content

And if it was a Disney production and not a Lucasfilm production you'd have a point. See my earlier comment about things like Miramax and the Marvel shows on Netflix. Watch Daredevil or Jessica Jones and tell me they were Disneyfied. I'll wait.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of the most unsettling things i have ever done was back in 97 with my Ex wife rode that stupid ass ET ride at Universal studios I just about freaked out it was insane... It reminded me of a Psychoactive Catcus I ate once where I puked for an hour
Haven't been.
I actually would like to go there and Disney World once more for more time.
I can resist the gift and souvenir shops and some of the rides are fun.
As I mentioned in another thread recently
my last trip was worth it when my wife shit her white jeans and we had to walk behind her
laughing, me explaining to the people staring at us cracking up the "My wife shit her pants!"

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ce98403a49ee1b3cca043b0d0d351d94_large.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't been.
I actually would like to go there and Disney World once more for more time.
I can resist the gift and souvenir shops and some of the rides are fun.
As I mentioned in another thread recently
my last trip was worth it when my wife shit her white jeans and we had to walk behind her
laughing, me explaining to the people staring at us cracking up the "My wife shit her pants!"
That is unsettling haha nothing like a crappy experience at the Disney :)

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And if it was a Disney production and not a Lucasfilm production you'd have a point. See my earlier comment about things like Miramax and the Marvel shows on Netflix. Watch Daredevil or Jessica Jones and tell me they were Disneyfied. I'll wait.
Wait a long time, Bro. I stopped reading comics long ago when it ceased to be an art form,
and same goes for most movies. I feel any spin off on Star Wars is tantamount to blasphemy.
Rarely is a re-do of an old hit as good as the original. Same for music.

Lucasfilm was an innovator, created effects never seen in Disney productions
even though Disney was better equipped financially and in artistic staff as well as experience and connections.
Ever since Walt died the bean counters at Disney have practically ruined the Magic.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh man I don't even want to get started.....it just doesn't feel right...I have only seen the originals, refuse to watch the others. They butchered it with CG and technology. Yea yea I know but I'm just wanting it to feel the same which it doesn't:(

I'm sure they are good I'm just stubborn:)

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wait a long time, Bro. I stopped reading comics long ago when it ceased to be an art form,
and same goes for most movies. I feel any spin off on Star Wars is tantamount to blasphemy.
Rarely is a re-do of an old hit as good as the original. Same for music.

Lucasfilm was an innovator, created effects never seen in Disney productions
even though Disney was better equipped financially and in artistic staff as well as experience and connections.
Ever since Walt died the bean counters at Disney have practically ruined the Magic.

That's fine, I'm just saying, I don't think a show where you watch a villain beat someone's head to a pulp in a car door while flashing back to memories of his father beating his mother, or one involving rape, alcoholism and people being forced to jump off buildings and landing as a greasy splat has been very Disneyfied. Disney has their fingers in a lot of pies, but that doesn't mean it's going to be shitty or kiddified.

I'll give Lucas his due, he was innovative and brought Star Wars to life in the first place, but he spoiled much of that good will with garbage like the prequels and half assed re-edits to the original movies.

I will say that having one of the head writers for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (Lawrence Kasdan) and the guy that did the music for the original movies (John Williams) return for The Force Awakens was a good thing. It wasn't quite as good as the first one in the original trilogy, but it was decent, and more deserving of being part of Star Wars than the prequel trilogy.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's fine, I'm just saying, I don't think a show where you watch a villain beat someone's head to a pulp in a car door while flashing back to memories of his father beating his mother, or one involving rape, alcoholism and people being forced to jump off buildings and landing as a greasy splat has been very Disneyfied. Disney has their fingers in a lot of pies, but that doesn't mean it's going to be shitty or kiddified.

I'll give Lucas his due, he was innovative and brought Star Wars to life in the first place, but he spoiled much of that good will with garbage like the prequels and half assed re-edits to the original movies.

I will say that having one of the head writers for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (Lawrence Kasdan) and the guy that did the music for the original movies (John Williams) return for The Force Awakens was a good thing. It wasn't quite as good as the first one in the original trilogy, but it was decent, and more deserving of being part of Star Wars than the prequel trilogy.
If anything I want to like the movie but no matter what ones opinions are on the Original and prequels which in retrospect only confuses most people and makes it all one gigantic mess. It is almost impossible to separate Disney from Star Wars now and will create questions of what could have been if the ownership would have remained under Lucas Arts..

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So you see, new members, this is how you drive up your post count.

Just post hateful shit about every topic whether you really care or about which even have any knowledge whatsoever. Post as many times as possible, one after another to the same thread and use animated gifs to attract extra attention! Follow hazyshades and mrscaryz to the top of the steaming heap!

Yes, @vape me, I'm looking forward to the new Star Wars film and hoping, as do most of the fans, that it doesn't suck. I'm not going to make any uninformed guesses about it and won't be there for the opening amongst the screaming kids. I'll see it after the furur has died down a little and try to avoid reviews in the interim as much as I'm able.

Have fun and let us know how you like it. No spoilers though, OK?

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, @vape me, I'm looking forward to the new Star Wars film and hoping, as do most of the fans, that it doesn't suck. I'm not going to make any uninformed guesses about it and won't be there for the opening amongst the screaming kids. I'll see it after the furur has died down a little and try to avoid reviews in the interim as much as I'm able.

I don't think it sucked at all, and I thought it was pretty good for the most part. I have some criticisms that I can't go into without going into spoilers, but overall I thought it was a worthy addition to the Star Wars legacy.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think it sucked at all, and I thought it was pretty good for the most part. I have some criticisms that I can't go into without going into spoilers, but overall I thought it was a worthy addition to the Star Wars legacy.

Good to hear, thanks rickycal78!

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you see, new members, this is how you drive up your post count.

Just post hateful shit about every topic whether you really care or about which even have any knowledge whatsoever. Post as many times as possible, one after another to the same thread and use animated gifs to attract extra attention! Follow hazyshades and mrscaryz to the top of the steaming heap!

I will see it at some point. It's likely to not be in the theater at that point, if anything maybe a discount theater.

I'm not as EXCITED to see it, but will in having seen all the others and enjoying them for the most part (excluding episode 1, which was necessary, but basically just setting and character building).

The ĂĽber-fanatics will complain, and I can sympathize. I'm sure Disney is breathing new life into a movie franchise that's been a bit stagnant, but look at their holdings; they practically own television, particularly cable.

I'll still see it at some point.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I saw it yesterday. I went to the movie expecting to hate it, but it turned out to be pretty good. At least it kept my attention all the way through.

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Family might go to see it this evening..minus dad.
I would rather wait for BluRay or DVD, and watch it in the comfort of the mancave.
I thought the latest Star Trek movies were darn good, and from previews of Star Wars it looks to be better than anything after the first two..
I kind of lost interest after the first two Star Wars, but my son likes them all.

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love Star Wars, I'm going to see this next week or the week after when the crowds are down. I'm pretty hopeful based on what I've heard from others. Seems like a solid entry and handily beats the prequels.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw it yesterday. I went to the movie expecting to hate it, but it turned out to be pretty good. At least it kept my attention all the way through.

Going in with ow expectations and coming out entertained is a nice result. THanks for that.

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Am i truely the only onw that likes the prequels??? I plan on seeing the new one after xmas.

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Am i truely the only onw that likes the prequels??? I plan on seeing the new one after xmas.

The prequels were alright, but this one is much better to me.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Movies like this are created as a vehicle to sell the toys and action figures, rather than the toys and action figures being a result of the movie. The toy designers create what can be made cheaply and what will sell, and the movie makers create the movie around them...

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Not too worried about Disney owning the franchise, now. Could hardly do worse than what Lucas, himself, did with the prequels.

That being said: We'll wait however long it takes for it to show up on Blu-ray. We stopped going to theaters long ago. Too many uncivilized, inconsiderate people and the sound is generally way, way too loud for us. Plus, with a 47" HD flat-screen and 5.1 digital surround in the home, not much reason, any more, either.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had no intention of seeing it. So I spoiled the whole thing in an effort to make more sense of the trailer. For some reason, the special effects caught my eye this time around.

Knowing that, here's a question for those of you who have seen it...
Is it worth seeing it in theaters?
Please note that I'm a Blu-ray fan, and our gorgeous flat screen has ruined movie theaters for us. But I'd be willing to reconsider for this one.

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had no intention of seeing it. So I spoiled the whole thing in an effort to make more sense of the trailer. For some reason, the special effects caught my eye this time around.

Knowing that, here's a question for those of you who have seen it...
Is it worth seeing it in theaters?
Please note that I'm a Blu-ray fan, and our gorgeous flat screen has ruined movie theaters for us. But I'd be willing to reconsider for this one.

If it's more comfortable for you watching it on Blu-Ray at home, by all means wait. I get the complaints about theaters. Luckily I live in central buttfuck WI and I was able to go opening night with no lines and the screen we saw it on wasn't even half packed. The only reason why you may want to see it in theaters is IMAX and 3D, because there's some real cool effects going on in this one for 3D. That being said, there are parts where the lighting is dimmed quite a bit due to the 3D glasses being dark the way they are. If the 3D isn't a big deal for you, there's no reason you can't wait and be more comfortable. That said, I thought it was pretty good and a fun movie more deserving of being Star Wars than the prequels.

five.five-six

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Movies like this are created as a vehicle to sell the toys and action figures, rather than the toys and action figures being a result of the movie. The toy designers create what can be made cheaply and what will sell, and the movie makers create the movie around them...
SPOILER ALEART!!!!!!

So disappointed with the movie, when the force awakens and the audiance goes to sleep. so unimaginative and a blatant rip off of the plot-line from a new hope, almost nothing in the movie that I didn't see comeing a mile away.

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
SPOILER ALEART!!!!!!

So disappointed with the movie, when the force awakens and the audiance goes to sleep. so unimaginative and a blatant rip off of the plot-line from a new hope, almost nothing in the movie that I didn't see comeing a mile away.

It certainly did rip off A New Hope, the Extended Universe, and the prequels. In a way, it felt like more of a reboot than a story continuation.

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I liked it. Unabashedly. Even my wife liked it and she's fallen asleep every time Episode IV is on.

I felt like a kid again from the opening scroll to the end credits. It was a visually stunning film, with enough pace to keep my interest. It sounded great, visceral and real. The sets and props were so tangible and real feeling. The look of the New Order was sleek, modern and imposing. It was undoubtedly the real Star Wars universe.

The story, well, it was as expected. It was trite, and used far too many cliches of the original saga, but what did you expect? Lucas' original wasn't all that creative either. It's a basic hero fable with many parallels to myths and legends of 'warriors of faith'. It was certainly less campy than ROTJ. In Rey and Finn we found likable heroes, unwilling and naive. In Kylo Ren we found a deeply flawed villain, lacking in discipline and natural talent with the Force.

I think it was a nice ride back to the galaxy far far away, and it set us up nicely for a potentially amazing 8th episode, if they really nail Rey and Kylo's future training.

Han and Chewy made us smile, Leia made us remember. This was Abrams' tribute to the original, not a ripoff.

I can't hate it. It's Star Wars. I was grinning like an idiot the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Finally took my girls out to see it. It was great. Can't say it any better than VapeRN who echoes my sentiments exactly, great write-up there man.

Our AMC has an early bird special, we saw the 09:30 showing for a little less than 5 bucks a ticket. Nice.

No retards in the theatre, it was a good crowd and the theatre was less than 1/2 full. Good times.

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Maybe nothing in Star Wars is original after the first trilogy. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

VU Sponsors