Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel: The New Kanthal?

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
READ the study. IF you have reading comprehension skills.

It's NOT completely safe, like you claim. Let other people decide for themselves. Stop misleading people.
Man I bet you've never gotten laid, you're so damn annoying, just let it go bro

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
READ the study. IF you have reading comprehension skills.

It's NOT completely safe, like you claim. Let other people decide for themselves. Stop misleading people.
image.jpg
There, now I just smacked you in the face with the dick of your own article

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Man I bet you've never gotten laid, you're so damn annoying, just let it go bro

So that's your best? Run in here claiming that it's COMPLETELY SAFE, degrade and belittle anyone who says/shows otherwise, and then degrade them some more?

Where is your proof that it's completely safe? I offered up evidence to support what I think. I see nothing from you but more lip flapping from a internet, self proclaimed, educated professional.

The one looking stupid right now is YOU. Learn how to debate and discuss something without coming off like a stupid teenager.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
View attachment 29675
There, now I just smacked you in the face with the dick of your own article

That's called cherry picking. Are you going to use the same coil for 28 days? Of coarse not.

You'll also note in the study that the toxicity is HIGHER in the beginning. I use kenthal every day. Make new coils every week. I don't think someone using SS wire is going to be a lot different. LONG TERM exposure.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just wanted to follow this thinking there would be some information in it.
Edit... should have read the thread first. Just a lot of pointless arguing.
Unwatched

Last edited:

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats what you get trying to spread information and help people out i guess, btw i proved and backed up every point and comment i made, peace

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Its not what you said that made me 'unsubscribe'. Its how you said what you said, and your continued usage of the word, 'reta__'.

Only stopping to tell you; because, I really hope you don't talk like that in real life.
Let alone the fact is we do not know if any of this is 100% completely safe, there have not been enough studies on any of the materials we use..
--I say that as a heavy user of SS so leave your 'dick slapping' and belittlement of 'ret___' comments for yourself---
The fact is no one can be 100% sure of the risk of any of the metals we coil with, we can look at studies done and decide for ourselves.
Ni200 and TI have there own issues to deal with, and, I was curious to see other peoples thoughts.
But shutting down apposing views does nothing to help any of us as a community; and, it stops people curious about trying something different.

Last edited:

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After reading through the study, the only relevant passage I found was:

"Berg et al. found that chromium was not released [by stainless steel heating elements]...in any significant amount." and "heating elements...did not release nickel in quantities of any significance."
The rest was mostly superfluous and inconsequential for our purposes.
The other interesting thing was that in the various instances where chromium was released it was mostly of the trivalent variety (the kind that is not too bad for you) and not the hexavalent variety (the worse for you, Erin Brockovich kind). Furthermore, I think, from the report's indication that exposing cookware to boiling water then discarding said water prior to use serves to mitigate the release of metals into the food during cooking, it can be inferred that dry burning and rinsing SS coils prior to use in vaping may be a beneficial precautionary practice to adopt.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I've been researching around looking at different coil materials and of course stumbled upon SS. I do mechanic work and had some sitting around. It is 304(I know most people use 316 but this is safe) and I did a 6 wrap micro coil. I'm usually a dual coil kinda guy but whoa! Its 1.04 mm thick btw. So I did a 6 wrap single coil and it is .10 ohms!That is extremely low for 6 wraps. I couldnt believe it, also for its thickness and wraps, it has almost no ramp up time. Stainless steel is naturally low resistance compared to Kanthal. This stuff also gives a great flavor with no metal taste. Anyways, I know there is alot of talk about SS no talk of how it performs and wanted to let people know. This may be my new coil. If anyone else has tried it, let me know what you think.
View attachment 29592

Got my SS in today, was concerned getting 26 gauge, but has worked out fine, just guessed and did 10 wrap micro coil on a 2.5 bit, came out as .65, which I normally aim between .50 and 0.80, so this worked out perfect, don't know if just got lucky, but pulsed at low wattage, and quickly started glowing evenly, normally takes a little of work with kanthal. Just as easy to build as kanthal, not springy or soft.

Built on my lemo 2, and flavor/vapor is very good, I should of used a juice I am already using to see if could notice a difference in flavor, but know it is good flavor now anyway.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got my SS in today, was concerned getting 26 gauge, but has worked out fine, just guessed and did 10 wrap micro coil on a 2.5 bit, came out as .65, which I normally aim between .50 and 0.80, so this worked out perfect, don't know if just got lucky, but pulsed at low wattage, and quickly started glowing evenly, normally takes a little of work with kanthal. Just as easy to build as kanthal, not springy or soft.

Built on my lemo 2, and flavor/vapor is very good, I should of used a juice I am already using to see if could notice a difference in flavor, but know it is good flavor now anyway.
Thats awesome! Im ordering some 24G SS and 24G Ni 80, gonna do some tests and see who outperforms who little experiment

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered some 24g 316l. It's supposed to be here Friday. I'm excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its pretty killer, you gotta let us know how you like it when you get it
Oh lol I will. Been using the stock ss coils in the crown tank for a while now & loving the hell out of them. That's what drove me to order the wire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So i got the nichrome in, i dont have the same gauge SS in but so far WOW, i really like the nichrome, i got the 24G, i mean the ohms are a little ridiculous, i did a 8 wrap parallel dual to get .18 ohms, thats 16 wraps each side and its a micro. I plan on getting a bigger screwdriver so i can do a macro with less wraps. So far though with 16 wraps each side, it fires evenly, the ramp up time is nothing and the flavor is amazing! I love it so far. You do have to keep your wicking fluffy on either side so you dont get dry hits but its worth it! Ill update when the SS comes in, heres the pic of the setup i got in it, might do a zipper dual coil tonight with it.
image.jpg

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
5ed52e9f43f4d6943ec48c79edc8865d.jpg

Clapton'd some 26 ga SS with some 30 nickel. Very nice

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just did my first build with 24g 316L. It's a .2ish (sits between .21 and .25 depending on temp,) dual coil - 10 wraps around 3mm. Running it in a Twisted Messes at 90w on my Sigelei 150. I don't think I'd run the kanthal equivalent quite that high.

But anywho, I'm extremely impressed with the flavor. Just... ...wow! Seems to be a somewhat cooler vape than kanthal (watt for watt/mm² for mm²,) though the ramp up is much quicker. Throat hit is almost non-existent with this build, though it's still nice and warm. I personally prefer a bit more kick than it's giving me, but I must admit, the lushness of this vape is pleasant in its own way. It's a very smooth up and down. Kanthal has a distinct harshness to it that I often enjoy, but it wears on me with extended vaping. It gets too harsh and the flavor is harder to acquire. The temperature on this seems to plateau at a point that makes it possible to take long, flavorful drags.

The vapor production is pretty average, but then again, this wasn't meant to be a cloud-chasing build. I'm sure it can chuck and it'll probably be a much more pleasant experience.

I don't think I'll completely give up kanthal for this. I don't think either are the superior wire. Every type of wire has different properties that make it suited for different purposes.

That being said, 316L is definitely going into my regular build rotation - especially for high-powered builds. It definitely handles those a bit better. With kanthal, I feel like I have to hold back a little to keep from either having too slow of a ramp-up/cool-down or having too little surface area to avoid surpassing the wicking capabilities of cotton. 24g 316L seems to be better balanced for high-power, large-surface-area builds.

Last edited:

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
6 (spaced) wraps of 28 ga (SS316) around a 3mm coil jig. Installed on my Lemo2 and wow it's got great flavor and plenty of clouds. Very happy.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What is best source you all have found for SS wire in 250 ft or more?

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
6 (spaced) wraps of 28 ga (SS316) around a 3mm coil jig. Installed on my Lemo2 and wow it's got great flavor and plenty of clouds. Very happy.

Hi, I'm new to this, I bought a Crown tank (thing rocks!!), anyway, it has SS coils so I bought some 316L and put a build in the Kanger RBA, 1st couple hits were fine, then burnt hits, made several more, same result. Was trying to use in TC on a IPV D2, do I need a DNA to run SS?
Any info greatly appreciated!

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I'm new to this, I bought a Crown tank (thing rocks!!), anyway, it has SS coils so I bought some 316L and put a build in the Kanger RBA, 1st couple hits were fine, then burnt hits, made several more, same result. Was trying to use in TC on a IPV D2, do I need a DNA to run SS?
Dna200 or xcube2 (IF you can get it to upgrade)

Yes, tapatalk does suck

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like I don't have enough TC mods already lol, tks Hank!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rumor has it that yihi is working on an update for some of the boards.....i don't know which ones or when, but it supposed to be impending.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could be your wicking, you want your wicking to be able to slide through the coil, but not too thick or too thin, has to be a happy medium, but you do want it to be fluffy on the outside

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My wicking is fine, I've built tons of nickel and kanthal coils without problems. I have the same (burnt hits) problems with Ti also, can't get the hang of it or SS. I thought SS was supposed to work in Ti/TC mode on the IPV D2, guess I read that wrong somewhere. I can get them to work, but only below 25 watts, much too cool for me, I like a warmer vape.
Yeah, I heard some are working on TC for SS, just hope it becomes more common, all this stuff is changing so fast, hard to keep up, lol. But it all is making for a better vaping experience :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My wicking is fine, I've built tons of nickel and kanthal coils without problems. I have the same (burnt hits) problems with Ti also, can't get the hang of it or SS. I thought SS was supposed to work in Ti/TC mode on the IPV D2, guess I read that wrong somewhere. I can get them to work, but only below 25 watts, much too cool for me, I like a warmer vape.
Yeah, I heard some are working on TC for SS, just hope it becomes more common, all this stuff is changing so fast, hard to keep up, lol. But it all is making for a better vaping experience :)
I after using SS for just over a month, and having used both ni200 and TI, I don't see another metal surfacing that has the same combination of ease of use, flavor and general workability in tc mode. Short of a huge health scare I don't see any reason to use anything else. In my opinion even in power mode or vapes better than kanthal.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea that is strange because I heard SS was mainly for TC, guess you learn something new everyday with this stuff, what kind of build and ohms is it?

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I after using SS for just over a month, and having used both ni200 and TI, I don't see another metal surfacing that has the same combination of ease of use, flavor and general workability in tc mode. Short of a huge health scare I don't see any reason to use anything else. In my opinion even in power mode or vapes better than kanthal.
Have you used NiC80? Im wondering how that and SS compare

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I agree, the flavor is just outstanding with SS!! SS can be used in power mode??

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes SS can be used in power mode, just make sure your total resistance is what your mod is rated to handle
NiC80, was fine, burned a little hotter than SS from what I remember and had more of a problem with hotlegs, but other than that it was fine.

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea that is strange because I heard SS was mainly for TC, guess you learn something new everyday with this stuff, what kind of build and ohms is it?

That's what I thought too!! SS was about 7 wraps equaled .7 ohms around 3mm

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes SS can be used in power mode, just make sure your total resistance is what your mod is rated to handle
NiC80, was fine, burned a little hotter than SS from what I remember and had more of a problem with hotlegs, but other than that it was fine.

Huh, didn't know that, guess I have to try that tomorrow. Mods won't fire with too low a resistance. Really want to get this figured out, SS is such a clean taste!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Huh, didn't know that, guess I have to try that tomorrow. Mods won't fire with too low a resistance. Really want to get this figured out, SS is such a clean taste!
I'm using 316L and dual coil I'm using 9 wraps at 2.5mm ID and coming in at a 0.21.

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK, after wading thru the pissing contest I see we have some info, as well as results! A friend of mine PIFed me some 306ss 28 gauge, and TBH I'm still on the fence a bit. I have a build in my dripper that comes out to right about .9 ohms (8 wraps spaced around a 1/8" drill bit), and the flavor's there, the clouds are there, but here's my concern: when I initially spun it up and pulsed, the resistance seemed to jump up a bit with each successive pulse. I'd hit .8, then .9, then a full ohm, before letting it cool and starting at .8 again. Has anyone else had this issue? BTW I'm not knocking it in the least, just still a bit undecided, but leaning toward liking it.

-Kingboomer

P.S. It could also have nothing to do with the wire. I'm using a PIFed IPV mini that has been used and abused quite a bit, and my building skills as far as RBAs are just up a bit from grasshoppah :D

EDIT: Just looked at the msg he sent with the wire, and it's in fact 430 ss wire 28ga FWIW

Last edited:

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
BTW found this on another forum: https://vaporreporter.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/resistance-wire-safety-guide/

and as it pertains to SS:

Stainless Steel 304/316 series. Safety rating- 95 (A+). SS has been used in medical procedures for years, though only recently has found its way into vaping coils. This is also the type of steel used in cookware. Why? Because it has a very high melting point (2400-2750 degrees F), and the questionable alloys in the steel (nickel being the biggest of concern) also require a high amount of heat (2200-2300 degrees F) before they begin to leach. I don’t know any mainstream vaping device that can reach those levels. Stainless Steel also brings a few added bonuses to the table. 304, 316, and 317 (welding wire, also known as GPlat in the community) contains enough nickel so where it can be used in a temperature controlled device. The only downside is it can be a bit tough to work with as it’s a little stiffer than any of the other metals on this list save titanium.

-Kingboomer

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using a 0.4ohm Triton coil on my eVic VTC right now 450F at 45W and the vape is possibly the best and most consistent I have ever experienced.
Stainless steel FTW

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I noticed the other day that Wetvapes has stainless steel coils for the OBS T-VCT tanks in stock.Gonna have to give them a try!:)

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Strange question for you, if stainless is somewhat OK, how about braided stainless sleeves? I'm sure their chemical makeup is a bit different (i believe ive read 304 food grade used in the sleeves) than the wire used here but it just popped in my head.

Last edited:

Ramsay Bolton

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Started using 28g (316) a couple of days ago.

8 wraps/3mm diameter on a Lemo 2 = Around 1.1-1.2ohm (Prefer a Warm vape)

First impressions, ramps up quickly and no weird metallic taste on the tongue. Jury
is still out, but so far, so good.

-

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stainless steel is definately coming up in the world, I believe it along with Titanium will be the top 2 metals when it comes to vaping, especially with the rise of temperature controlled devices. They both provide a clean crisp taste where you get 99% of pure juice flavor and no metal taste. Only thing is alot of devices are not calibrated for SS yet, the DNA200 is the only one Im aware of that calibrates for SS, so make sure your device can use it in TC Mode. If youre using VW/VV, it wont matter. But as you can see the rise of concerns using nickel or titanium, because of dangerous oxides forming at higher temperatures, companies are starting to make SS friendly devices. Every TC device will be ready to use SS efficiently within the next 6 months.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I've been researching around looking at different coil materials and of course stumbled upon SS. I do mechanic work and had some sitting around. It is 304(I know most people use 316 but this is safe) and I did a 6 wrap micro coil. I'm usually a dual coil kinda guy but whoa! Its 1.04 mm thick btw. So I did a 6 wrap single coil and it is .10 ohms!That is extremely low for 6 wraps. I couldnt believe it, also for its thickness and wraps, it has almost no ramp up time. Stainless steel is naturally low resistance compared to Kanthal. This stuff also gives a great flavor with no metal taste. Anyways, I know there is alot of talk about SS no talk of how it performs and wanted to let people know. This may be my new coil. If anyone else has tried it, let me know what you think.
View attachment 29592
I have axed all my other wire I only use SS all RDA's all tanks simple and the best for me

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have axed all my other wire I only use SS all RDA's all tanks simple and the best for me
I'm about the same, I still use nichrome though.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea, i still use nichrome also, that and SS unless i use TC, been using titanium for that

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Down to using all SS for tc lr non tc except for 22g Kanthal on my hexohm

VU Sponsors