Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel Gunking Problem

I've been building my RDAs with SS304 for a while now and have had nothing but good results. The coils seem to last a week or two before get ginky. I recently purchased a Griffin RTA, put the same build on it and WOW, hard to believe that a tank could give such flavor. Around a tank later the coils had gunked up to the point of zero flavor and the cotton was burnt up with no burnt cotton taste in the process. I have tryed everything I can think of; switching to 316, both spaced and contact coils, not glowing the coil, different temperatures to even trying wicking with rayon (yeah I know, that's how desperate I am).

Anybody out there found a solution to this problem or have suggestions to prevent this? A buddy of mine has had the same problem with SS builds on a griffin, using completely different juice, so reason would suggest it's not the juice.

I'm using a Kbox 200 in SUS Temperature Control mode. The build is SS 304 & 316, 10 wraps (both spaced and contact) 3mm coil with organic Japanese cotton pads.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Its perfectly normal. It happens eventually even with the lightest , cleanest liquids. A week or two is better than most.

Some feel spacing the coils makes them last longer between cleaning/ dry burning. But you run into the possibility that they will spit.

When the get gross, pull out the wick , throw away and with no wick just pulse the coils till they glow red a few times, while blowing off the ashes.

Some just pop in a new wick and prime and puff away, I usually rinse and repeat and then put my wick in.

This happens with all coil materials, not just SS

b32348d3b2bd2e11dffd110ea5c99ace.jpg

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its perfectly normal. It happens eventually even with the lightest , cleanest liquids. A week or two is better than most.

Some feel spacing the coils makes them last longer between cleaning/ dry burning. But you run into the possibility that they will spit.

When the get gross, pull out the wick , throw away and with no wick just pulse the coils till they glow red a few times, while blowing off the ashes.

Some just pop in a new wick and prime and puff away, I usually rinse and repeat and then put my wick in.

This happens with all coil materials, not just SS

b32348d3b2bd2e11dffd110ea5c99ace.jpg
Agreed. I usually have to rewick every night!

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I normally recoil about every week. Only once have I had to due to gunking. And that was a fused clapton that i ran in my Boreas for about three weeks. I mainly recoil because i like making the damn things. trying different things, building differently. Its turned into a hobby for me.

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm new to building but I've had to Rewick about every 4 or 5 days burning 3 tanks a day on the boreas . I have used the dry burn technique every time I Rewick and I'm still on same coils I built a month ago when I got this rta in. Dry burning your coils works like a charm after they get gunked up

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i am hitting 30-40mls a day on rayon, my 'sloppy' coils and rayon last me about 2-3 weeks,,, unless i get bored or some crazy idea about a coil ,, then i may change them out 3 or 4 times a day tweaking for perfection.

ps.. with rayon i no longer have 'vapors tongue' episodes

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With my SS claptons, I dry burn them once every couple days and rewick. Some juices really crud up the coil quickly.

Ogvapez

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I find it always when I have a sweet e juice or fruity gunks up a lot faster. I also dry burn but run them glowing in cold water and reglow them till they steam clean them selfs

I normally recoil about every week. Only once have I had to due to gunking. And that was a fused clapton that i ran in my Boreas for about three weeks. I mainly recoil because i like making the damn things. trying different things, building differently. Its turned into a hobby for me.
I feel the same way the hobby just becomes more fun the better coils you build!

VU Sponsors