Become a Patron!

SS316L mesh issues in temperature control in Themis Mesh

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Themis Mesh RTA that I've been building with Vandy Vape 316L mesh, on my Hohm Slice in temp control mode. I've followed all the building and wicking tips for this RTA and I get consistent dry hits even in low temperature settings. It seems to me that the mesh heats up much quicker than a wire coil, and by the time the mod adjusts the power to maintain the temperature the mesh coil has already exceeded the set temperature. I'll get a very hot dry hit which with a mesh coil, feels like death. If I open the tank up to check the build, the cotton is good and saturated with juice so it appears to be wicking good.

I've tried both the 316L and the kanthal mesh strips that came with the Themis, and I don't have the same problems, but those strips are quite short and will be used up in short order. They are definitely a thicker gauge of mesh than the VV stuff.

Anyone have any ideas? A builder's error? Or is there a better mesh that I should give a try?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try wicking it ridiculously tight.

I'm having a similar issue with my profile. It goes from a decent vape to bonfire on the same hit.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, I'd be curious to see if it does it for you in regular power mode.

I have the regular Themis, which when set up right is really good, but when not is almost flavorless.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I have both versions of the themis, the mesh and the dual coil. Most difficult tanks to build on I've ever had.

I've give the wicking another go. I've wicked it pretty tight, but not super tight I thought that maybe too tight would prevent juice from getting into the wick under the mesh.

In power mode with the kanthal mesh it's ok, but can't run SS mesh in power mode.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I would have paid more attention at the time, but I had a build in my Themis dualie a while back that was awesome. I mean like fantastic flavor. I changed it out and it muted really bad like the first build I had in it. That thing drinks juice like there's no tomorrow no matter what you do. I do like it though and I need to spend more time with it.

My only experience with mesh is with the profile. One thing I'm sure of is that if it's not wicked really tight it will deliver dry hits from hell right away. Wicked REALLY tight, it vapes good for about 4 seconds and then the burning starts, but not as bad and I'm talking like 50 watts. I've gotten a couple pieces of advice I haven't tried yet, but wadda pain the rear that atty has been so far.

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I have both versions of the themis, the mesh and the dual coil. Most difficult tanks to build on I've ever had.

I've give the wicking another go. I've wicked it pretty tight, but not super tight I thought that maybe too tight would prevent juice from getting into the wick under the mesh.

In power mode with the kanthal mesh it's ok, but can't run SS mesh in power mode.
SS can be run in power or temp mode. I don't believe that mesh should be any different. Or do you mean that it runs like crap in power mode? I can spark to mesh myself. I refuse to do mesh. I'm pretty much a traditionalist and just can't bring myself to do mesh sorry I can help in that aspect

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS can be run in power or temp mode. I don't believe that mesh should be any different. Or do you mean that it runs like crap in power mode? I can spark to mesh myself. I refuse to do mesh. I'm pretty much a traditionalist and just can't bring myself to do mesh sorry I can help in that aspect

I've always thought that SS wire shouldn't be run in straight power mode because the resistance changes as it heats, and should always only be used in TC.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've always thought that SS wire shouldn't be run in straight power mode because the resistance changes as it heats, and should always only be used in TC.

Although SS can be used in power mode in my opinion why use it? SS in TC is just the best vape I ever had.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's ok. The only wire I have atm is ss. I built a basic dual coil 24g 13 wrap 3mm id for my Glacier rdta and have it on my Noisy Cricket II-25 in series. Theresistance does chance a little, but not that drastic. It is perfectly safe in my opinion. I'll be curious to know how it works out for you. I haven't used TC myself in like 2 years. I hope this helps.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my other RTAs I use SS in TC no problem whatsoever. With the SS mesh, I get dry hits all the time in TC, which shouldn't happen. The temp should back off.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So apparently the SS mesh requires very little ramp-up time or power to hit the set temperature. Much lower than a wound coil of the same resistance. I adjusted the power and now dry hits are much less frequent.

I am going to try using a rayon wick with this thing. It seems the way rayon is supposed to be wicked is exactly how this tank wants to be wicked as well. I'll post my findings once the rayon comes and I can experiment.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using rayon for wicking is the way to go with this tank... amazing flavor and clouds for days! I'm switching all my tanks to rayon. Flavor is so much more defined. No more dry hits with the Themis mesh.. was even able to run at a higher wattage than I was with cotton. And rayon is a ton cheaper than cotton!

VU Sponsors