Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

TheSneakerWhore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So awesome! Eh, they come and go but not all have a happy ending like that! I'd be happy to offer said new dad my assistance should he need it with the blue box :D
Transferable support and all that jazz!
Much appreciated! I'll cover anything that he'll need. I'm just glad he's one of my easier converts. No relapses in 2 months so far and he is dedicated...he even wants me to teach him diy. I'll miss her but she'll get the use she deserves.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
How is first impressions I'm thinking on that one but stuff keeps coming out. Must resist must resist........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Not my first mech but first squonker so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but first impressions are good. It is light being a printed box but fells well made and hits great as far as mechs go IME, definitely pleased so far.

Studiovape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a6bcf64a4e1acbd0482258b81b723ee5.jpg

3f942fd5e30685f998a9b9ccb391f6c9.jpg

3b11dcfb11dcf38ff87b1380d94d40b8.jpg

b2dc2445b98b1043298d39d94c2ec4e9.jpg

Received the YFTK SVA Clone today. Overall build is good but the faceplate at the bottom near to the USB port has too much glue behind it and is not sitting flush.

Quite annoying QC oversight.

Also there is a excess wire sticking out in the third picture. Lol

But still looks pretty awesome with the Hadaly and Ultem cap.

Any thoughts on how to fix the issue. Seems like pretty strong glue behind the face plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panel removal is a simple system,Drop it on a supermake floor from three foot, all panels will detach haha, no really:)
The glue is epoxy, but delrin is not keyed so the glue has a hard time sticking to it. Battery contacts have same issue. Key the areas before you re epoxy the parts for longer lasting results.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Panel removal is a simple system,Drop it on a supermake floor from three foot, all panels will detach haha, no really
It would be kinda' silly seeing a bunch of people walking into supermarkets just to drop their mods on the floor!

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
ZapWrapped my drone so I don't mess it up considering this is my all day vape. I think it came out pretty good and zapwrapz has all kinds of diff prints and stuff to choose from. I went with black "snake skin" and brushed titanium. Usually I like the murdered out look but think this two tone scheme looks kinda classy (not that I have any :cool:)

Full on in love with this mod. I'm prob going to liquidate my personal devices in order to spend more on squonkers lol. So if you have seen me post anything you like keep an eye out in classies or shoot me a pm.

20170728_192910.jpg 20170728_192924.jpg 20170728_192936.jpg 20170728_192950.jpg

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've always primarily been a mech girl, and the Drone, I don't care for how the squonk bottle is placed and in reality I don't need that much power

Was mainly after battery life

It's kind of like a sports car. Just cause you have have all that power doesn't mean you have to use it. Unless your friends are around.

Honestly though. I didn't think I was going to like the squonk position either. Then after using it for a few days, I've decided I hate the squonk position less than I hate dripping every 5 toots lol. Especially when I'm at work.

After trying different toppers out. I've decided I'm def an RDA guy. I've also decided I hate dripping. So squonk seems the only way to go cause I can tell you right now, I'm deff not a pumper lmao.

Which leads me to believe that I'm pretty sure I'll like any squonk mod over having to drip. I'ma have to get a mech squonk to play with. Who knows, I might like it. Plus if I never try it, it will always be in the back of my mind. What if?

Last edited:

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm wishing I would have gotten mech sooner. Guess it was all the explosion stories kept me from it.

Sirkris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Gorge Ultem cap makes other unsuspecting RDAs even better...makes a few the best RDAs ever IMO..Its worth the $20 alone IMO, I bought 3 Gorge RDAs myself just for these caps.

Decks I use myself with the Gorge Ultem Cap....

5a568c8642f757b6f5a9ff70c2f3d8ae.jpg
668ab439552b0ed29b9817efb4f16fdd.jpg
e88a1bf5a54259b16479483014aad1c5.jpg
Is that a Druga or Gorge?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It's kind of like a sports car. Just cause you have have all that power doesn't mean you have to use it. Unless your friends are around.

Honestly though. I didn't think I was going to like the squonk position either. Then after using it for a few days, I've decided I hate the squonk position less than I hate dripping every 5 toots lol. Especially when I'm at work.

After trying different toppers out. I've decided I'm def an RDA guy. I've also decided I hate dripping. So squonk seems the only way to go cause I can tell you right now, I'm deff not a pumper lmao.

Which leads me to believe that I'm pretty sure I'll like any squonk mod over having to drip. I'ma have to get a mech squonk to play with. Who knows, I might like it. Plus if I never try it, it will always be in the back of my mind. What if?

Well, been squonking over 2 years now and have over 40 squonk mods - it's the only one I still have that I flat out don't like very much

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well, been squonking over 2 years now and have over 40 squonk mods - it's the only one I still have that I flat out don't like very much
I'm on the other side of that coin. It's my first "real" squonk mod. The Wraith is my wife's and I hate the way it feels in my hand but the squonk position is good. Also IMO the Vapage Vmod is hardly a real squonker. So I have some exploring to do. But deff, squonking is the way to go for me.

There needs to be some sort of mod rental service. That way you can pay a small fee to rent a mod to see if you like it rather than buying a bunch of stuff and wind up selling it cause it wasn't your thing after all.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the idea of a mod rental service, it would have saved me from buying mech. squonks. I like them but I don't have the time to do the proper maintenance. I have a couple of CVs a REO, a Li'l Pinch.....they just sit gathering dust.....Thanks to the little Piglet I learned that I am not one to play with mechs, they need to be cared for! I did that with the Pig, unfortunately I don't have the time to make it a routine.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
As I'm considering a mech in the future, is there a guide or some tips w/e for "caring" for your mech? What's involved? Specifically squonk mechs. Where's the thread for that? lol

I don't wanna get one and hate it only because I wasn't doing something I was supposed to have done.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As I'm considering a mech in the future, is there a guide or some tips w/e for "caring" for your mech? What's involved? Specifically squonk mechs. Where's the thread for that? lol

I don't wanna get one and hate it only because I wasn't doing something I was supposed to have done.
You need to keep the contacts clean, use a miniscule amount of no oxy (just made that up cause I don't remember the actual name). That is the basics. I'm sure the more knowledgeable people will jump in.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You @MaxPerilous have a very good idea. It would be great to have a mech squonk maintenance page, unfortunately I'm not the one to even dream of writing it due to lack of knowledge.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So that's what @minimalsaint meant by "those that like to tinker" when I was talking about mechs the other day. Right before he called me sloppy :eek:

They basically need to be kept clean and of course, battery safety is paramount

Worth the small amount of extra effort in my experience - of all those squonkers, only 8 are regulated, lol

And that doesn't count my regular mods :teehee:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So that's what @minimalsaint meant by "those that like to tinker" when I was talking about mechs the other day. Right before he called me sloppy :eek:
Indeed, that is a part of it. @Studiovape might chip in and enlighten us on the benefits of fine silver contacts vs. other materials. My understanding is that although fine silver does oxydize, it does so at a slower rate and the silver oxydes are conductive thus there is little voltage drop.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Noalox is the product you're thinking of. Never used it. Instead, I do use some dielectric grease on the threads of my tubes, and I polish the contacts frequrntly. Big Lou has a helpful tutorial... he uses the back of a mouse pad...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a Coppervape mod on its way (slowly) from 3FVape.
This should help determine whether I like mechs and/or squonking.

You might find yourself liking both. I enjoyed the squonking while using Reo Grand clones, only disliked the overall box style. The cut out to squonk the bottle for me was not intuitive. Got a CopperVape and Bingo. :) The RDA it comes with as a kit is not too shabby either, granted there are others better & worse.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Big Lou? Is that something I should search on youtube?
LOL just done.
Hey that wasn't the post I liked why'd you change it? I liked the post that was there. Now I have to take back my like. I don't EVER take back likes. :(

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well there really isnt anything other then keeping contacts clean...I vape at a resistance that many feel is impending doom...More danger is present with lower resistance and keeping contacts clean is a big deal...not only for safety but because you can feel the slightest drop in voltage and any grime or buildup on the contacts will cause it to happen....

Other then that there isnt much to discuss...Use Battery Safety, if your inexperienced dont push beyond .09-.1 on a 20a/25a/30a CD Cell and pay attention to the cells temperature! I dont follow the same rules other do because I have decided to follow the same guidelines Mooch himself follows to conduct his testing. Im sure many of you dont even vape that low but I thought Id share some info..

80 degree Celsius is just below the temp that water boils (100C), Mooch uses 80C to determine the Continuous Discharge limit for a cell (Cell Heat ), if your not pushing it to 80C or beyond then you not hurting the cell or even getting it past its CD Rating.

80C is too hot to touch, so if your battery is warm or hot but no to the point you cant touch it then your not even stressing it out...I run .07 on VTC5a cells and I can vape for a good while and even with the $15 Boxer mod Ive never pushed them too hard...

But dont follow what I do, Im a jackass...follow my advice and save your hand/face/dog!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wait, do you get a notification if someone unlikes your comment? lol

SoandSO Unliked your comment.

~Thinks to self "Asshole"

I liked and then unliked your post - I doubt you saw an unlike notice

Have plenty of likes and have never received an "unlike" notice, though I'm pretty sure that has occurred before, lol

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
And btw, @Max, you should take a look at @raymo2u coils. ......I'm not gonna spoil it for you, just take a look.
Oh I've seen a bunch in the Show your Build thread. Beautiful! I don't think my notifications have been working proper here lately. I've noticed some are missing sometimes.

BTW what happens if you put a battery in the wrong way in a mech? I always read about reverse polarity protection yada yada. The other night I actually did put my batteries in backwards in my Captain right before bed (was super tired) and was confused why I couldn't get it to turn on the next morning.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh I've seen a bunch in the Show your Build thread. Beautiful! I don't think my notifications have been working proper hear lately. I've noticed some are missing sometimes.

BTW what happens if you put a battery in the wrong way in a mech? I always read about reverse polarity protection yada yada. The other night I actually did put my batteries in backwards in my Captain right before bed (was super tired) and was confused why I couldn't get it to turn on the next morning.
In most Mech there isnt a wrong way, the circuit is complete either way...unless its a Parallel mod and you put them in in Series Config...then you'll have issues. Most mech squonkers are single cell and it doesnt matter the direction. If its a parallel just make sure they both point up.

Most cells that are Sony/Samsung/LG wont vent right away and can dead short for more seconds then you'd expect...its the rewraps and "other" cells that will cent immediately....whens the last time anyone seen a Samsung/LG/Sony in the news for venting??

Ive dead shorted a Samsung on accident for over 30 seconds...and it still functions...although I dont use it because its as useful as ham...

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the idea of a mod rental service, it would have saved me from buying mech. squonks. I like them but I don't have the time to do the proper maintenance. I have a couple of CVs a REO, a Li'l Pinch.....they just sit gathering dust.....Thanks to the little Piglet I learned that I am not one to play with mechs, they need to be cared for! I did that with the Pig, unfortunately I don't have the time to make it a routine.

Send me a mech ;-) I'll send you a regulated squonker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Big Lou? Is that something I should search on youtube?

Hey that wasn't the post I liked why'd you change it? I liked the post that was there. Now I have to take back my like. I don't EVER take back likes. :(
Yep big Lou east coast review?
A mech madman. Only person I know that makes .001 ohm coils:)

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Personal opinion is that more than the maintenance (which doesn't have to be a ton of work, really), the key to liking or not liking mech squonking is knowing that you're gonna have to fiddle a bit to find what kind of BUILD gets you a vape you like.

You can't take an atty that's got dual 4mm fused twisted alien clapton jigsaw chainmail tiretread coils in it on a 1-battery mech and have a good time.

If you go at it with an open mind; try a few things; see if you can "optimize" the vape for the gear you're using and your personal taste, you might well find you DO after ALL enjoy something with a little more resistance in both the wire and airflow - if it happens to really be the hardware sweetspot.

Or vice-versa. A lot of people starting squonking thinking they were always gonna use super-tight draw atties, and build at over 1 ohm - then transitioned to 0.3 on a Goon, lol.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Personal opinion is that more than the maintenance (which doesn't have to be a ton of work, really), the key to liking or not liking mech squonking is knowing that you're gonna have to fiddle a bit to find what kind of BUILD gets you a vape you like.

You can't take an atty that's got dual 4mm fused twisted alien clapton jigsaw chainmail tiretread coils in it on a 1-battery mech and have a good time.

If you go at it with an open mind; try a few things; see if you can "optimize" the vape for the gear you're using and your personal taste, you might well find you DO after ALL enjoy something with a little more resistance in both the wire and airflow - if it happens to really be the hardware sweetspot.

Or vice-versa. A lot of people starting squonking thinking they were always gonna use super-tight draw atties, and build at over 1 ohm - then transitioned to 0.3 on a Goon, lol.

Very true - am lucky I started on an REO with a Chalice III clone - and no clue how to build

The guy who sold the setup to me coiled (1 ohm, Kanthal) and wicked it with rayon

Pulsed that coil and washed out the rayon countless times before it finally crapped out, probably six months later, lol

Then I found a drill bit that fit through the coil once it crapped out, and copied that same coil and started over that way :giggle:

VU Sponsors