Spacing in my mod

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I have a king mod, I run a DOGE V1 RDA and the Aspire Atlantis. With the RDA I can make it so that there's no play inside so the battery doesn't rattle. With the Atlantis I have to have the adjusted higher or there's no contact between the upper terminal and the battery, but the batter has rattle as a result....

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like your King doesn't have a telescoping adjuster... in other words, a 2 piece 510 adjustment that extends in both directions. Obtain a tele adjuster that will fit your King, or... you can fit a magnet to the battery positive.
I use magnets from Avid Vapor in the 1.5mm X 8mm size to take up space when I use "short" batteries in older mods that have single direction adjuster screws.
If you go the magnet route, use a non-conductive washer (rubber, phenolic etc) as an insulator around the magnet, so that it remains centered under all conditions.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Odd, I have a copper King v2 clone and it has the dual-adjusting top connector.

You back out the 510 screws on the mod, attach the atty until it's flush, then twist the top screw of the mod's top connector until it contacts the atty's 510.

Then, you use the bottom one to adjust for the battery.

It's fiddly, ya, but once you get it seated, it shouldn't' need adjusting unless some changes.

I'm using flat-top 18650 batteries in there like VTC3, Samsung 25R's and it's been fine.

Last edited:

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It does have the dual adjustors, but the bottom one seems to only make the button pertrude when I bring it out.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It does have the dual adjustors, but the bottom one seems to only make the button pertrude when I bring it out.

Uhm..it should be able to twist out to adjust for the battery length...not sure I know what you mean by protruding?

Is your switch fastened together well too? They work in concert. You may need to adjust the bottom battery contact also. :)

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Uhm..it should be able to twist out to adjust for the battery length...not sure I know what you mean by protruding?

Is your switch fastened together well too? They work in concert. You may need to adjust the bottom battery contact also. :)

The bottom portion makes it so that the bottom contact touches the housing around it without creating a circuit with both contacts. I feel that if I screw it to where it seats higher at the bottom and it fits too snugly at the top I may not be able to prevent it from constantly running.....

I apologize, I'm very new at this.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, I don't have an Atlantis, but I've used other RTAs on my King v2 without issues.

I wonder if it is the 510 pin on the Atlantis being fussy?

Maybe @franciscan knows, he's used about everything. ;)
Or @Zamazam - he's pretty wizardly at figuring things out.

Last edited:

Odian

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You cant back the pin out on an atlantis. At least I havent been able to find a way to do that.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You shouldn't need to adjust your negative contact, that should be screwed into the button as tightly as possible...but if I am understanding you correctly....if you are unable to unscrew and adjust the bottom screw in your top pin then something seems odd on the measurements of your mod...you should be able to adjust the top half so your tank/atty sits flush and then lower the bottom half for battery rattle. One thing you can also do is take a non conducting washer that has an inner diameter that is just slightly larger than your negative contact and place it in your button...this will create a buffer for your battery to sit on and make it sit higher so you can adjust your battery rattle screw without your mod auto firing and take up a little space and make less room for battery rattle as well.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Would I be able to use an O-ring?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
o-rings might work, especially if you have a couple of them in different sizes to put in there...the idea is to create a insulator/spacer between you battery and the metal of your bottom switch eliminating the possibility of auto fire occurring.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Would it be safe to file down the side without the Phillips head contact screw on my RDA?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Eh, you could try it. I've never filed a negative pin...I try and sand and file mods as little as possible if any, especially with the contacts...if you do it it will be much harder to take apart your switch to clean it...you don't have to clean your mod if you don't want to but it helps keep it performing at it's best. Another thing is if you do sand it you want to make sure you sand it completely level so the whole face of the pin makes even contact with the battery....the less surface touching the battery the more power is running threw a smaller contact point and I'm guessing that would heat things up faster. I am not an electrical expert...I am just well read on batteries and know what I know from reading here and fixing my own mods.

Like I have a Stingray X clone I love but when I first got it the button wasn't made right an the negative contact screwed all the way in wouldn't make good contact with the battery so I got huge voltage drop, and the button would heat up fast because the connection is basically shorting....and when I backed the screw out it wobbled and basically the same thing...so I put a drip tip o-ring around the screw part of the negative contact to basically act as a washer...then screwed the contact down tight...with the o-ring in place it spaced my contact perfectly and took the wobble out of the screw and I haven't had a problem with it since.

Sanding and filing are permanent fixes and can't be undone...if you can do something less permanent to solve the problem I'd try it first...I wouldn't tell you what to do with your stuff, I am not that kind of guy. I just share my experience and hope it can help you out with your problems...I am sorry your mod is giving you such a hard time. It sucks having to tinker with stuff right out of the box. You want it to work on arrival.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used one of the spare o-rings from my dogeV1 lol, works.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used one of the spare o-rings from my dogeV1 lol, works.

right on...sometimes the most simple and dumbest fix is the best one. I am glad you got it working better :)

VU Sponsors