Become a Patron!

Sony batteries...

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I spoke directly with Sony parts, so this is from the source.

Sony no longer manufactures 18605 or 26650 form batteries of any type. They haven't for more than 18 months. there are batteries in both forms being sold a "Sony" but they are counterfeit. A shiny, reflective green coating is the giveaway. OEM Sony batteries had a dull luster, and low reflective surface.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So the ones being touted as Sony batts on reputable sites, like some recommended here on VU, could be old stock I assume...

Rather, I hope. Just bought some from illumn.com

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sony no longer manufactures 18605 or 26650 form batteries of any type.

This could be interpreted two different ways

"Sony no longer manufactures" - meaning they just outsource it to other companies to manufacture them with a sony label? (pretty common practice among businesses)

"Sony no longer manufactures" - meaning they are no longer being made period?

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

"Sony no longer manufactures" - meaning they just outsource it to other companies to manufacture them with a sony label? (pretty common practice among businesses)

That's a good point.

If the illumn.com vtc4's are fakes, they fooled me good. I can't tell the difference between them and my old ones.
The wrapper, all other appearances and performance is the same.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years

Sony is one of the only battery manufacturers out there. Can't see them outsourcing their own operation to LG or Samsung..

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
There are legit VTC4's on the market. VTC5's, not so much. Those are fakes.

This needs to be a sticky in this forum, because VTC5's seem to come up at least once a week. There are NONE left. Anything being sold as a VTC5 is a fake.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Damn! Illumn has authentic looking VTC4's?!?!?!?! Just loaded up on 25R's after giving up on real Sony's.

ETA - A quote from Illumn "The shortage with VTC4s seems to be slowly clearing up!"

This runs contrary to everything I've read about Sony Li-Ion batteries. Sigh.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never thought this sony battery issue would be dragging out this long. Instead the water is getting muddier.

By now I'm thinking I need to adopt an old adage "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see"

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got to imagine that someone has to be taking notice of the demand for higher-discharge cells...it's insane to me that we've gone this long without anyone stepping in to fill the void for something with better than a 20A continuous rating, fake-number rewrappers notwithstanding.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
I've got to imagine that someone has to be taking notice of the demand for higher-discharge cells...it's insane to me that we've gone this long without anyone stepping in to fill the void for something with better than a 20A continuous rating, fake-number rewrappers notwithstanding.
For the most part, Sony and all don't like the fact that their rechargeable flashlight batteries are being used by vapers. I don't think were the crowd they're catering to.

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They are no longer being produced, period. There could be some NOS out there, but that possibility is remote according to the gal I had a chat with.

For the most part, Sony and all don't like the fact that their rechargeable flashlight batteries are being used by vapers. I don't think were the crowd they're catering to.

Could be they got out of that market because of these idiots that build those shorting out devices that blow batteries.

I never thought this sony battery issue would be dragging out this long. Instead the water is getting muddier.

By now I'm thinking I need to adopt an old adage "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see"

1-800-282-2848
Call them and ask about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I have a question.
I go to this site iwillvape.com look at 18650 BATTERYS so I see they have sonys vct5 in stock. I email them asking if the were authentic they get back to me and say yes we only sell authentic products.
So I am thinking how could this place be the only place that has them when no else can get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i went to a shop with a pile of vtc5s i passed on em knowing that no one can get that many vtc5s. swore up and down they were authentic. its simple people are liars.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Korean's are frugal business people. I remember Samsung and Lucky Goldstar (now called LG), were dumping dram memory chips on the world market. Purposely taking losses to drive other manufactures out of business. They pretty much succeeded.

Probably the same thing with Sony dropping the battery pack (power tools) market which these batteries were designed for. Not enough profit to justify continuing to produce them.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
these batteries are also used in laptop batteries. a market that they are probably still gonna stay in

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just find it funny that this guy is the only one who can get vct5. And selling them for 19.99

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure a lot of places will claim the ones they sell are authentic.

It's also possible that the place that he got them from claimed they were authentic, and could have been lieing to him.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On a separate by still Sony note...I metered my dual 18650 series box yesterday with both Sony's VTC4's (fresh off the charger) and LG HE2's (fresh off the charger) under a .45ohm load. The Sony's metered at 7.5V and the LG's metered at 6.9V. Sony's hit harder, I dont care what other ppl say. They have less voltage drop! Good batteries make a big difference and I hope Sony starts making these again. My private stash of authentic Sony VTC4 and VTC5 is dwindling!!!

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
/golfclap

About damn time! Of course, no one will read it, but well done!

Gee sorry if I boogered, but I was just passing on what I thought was important info, close the thread or redirect if ya want.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a separate by still Sony note...I metered my dual 18650 series box yesterday with both Sony's VTC4's (fresh off the charger) and LG HE2's (fresh off the charger) under a .45ohm load. The Sony's metered at 7.5V and the LG's metered at 6.9V. Sony's hit harder, I dont care what other ppl say. They have less voltage drop! Good batteries make a big difference and I hope Sony starts making these again. My private stash of authentic Sony VTC4 and VTC5 is dwindling!!!
I thought I read on here a while back. Someone said a Sony rep was a show radio talk show and said the are working in a new plant and was working on making vct5 but I haven't heard anything else on the issues.

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The VTC5 batteries we sell at my shop have the look of genuine VTC's, and most customers say they work like their older ones. So, either my boss has been selling fakes for a long time, or the customers have no clue what they're talking about (and both are equally possible).

From what I can see, they perform like they're supposed to. The one VTC5 I bought from my work acts like a typical 30 amp max battery should with my low resistance builds. After only a few rips with a coil that is pushing the battery beyond 30 amps, it gets hot FAST. So, whatever is under the wrapper, it definitely performs like a 30 amp. I used a VTC3 (or maybe a 4) once with a .12 build, and it definitely held its own like my MXJO/HE2. If that one was a fake - and I assume the possibility is high, because my friend doesn't check out his sellers as thoroughly as I do - it definitely performed like it should have. From what I could see, visually, it was legit.

I've read around on various forums, and it appears that people are saying most of the "VTC5" batteries are likely coming from laptop batteries, or some other source where the cells are yanked from, and are entering the market this way. If that is the case, then I would say the majority of these seemingly legit batteries are most likely genuine; however, they've just been re-purposed in a different way. Would I trust this NOS? Well, I guess that depends on where the cells are actually coming from, who was yanking them out, and the actual age of the cells.

For now, my one and only VTC5 is just sitting in a mech, with my Vapor Chaser, cranking out a whopping 8 amps. I'm a hair away from retiring it completely.

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VTC4s were made in large number while the 5s weren't. Probably few NOS still running around, but after 18 months not a lot. I would think that after oh, next March any new ones will be fakes.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a very tricky issue with almost no info given out by Sony. They said they would bring down production of commodity cells (18650s) and raise production of li-po / soft-packs for mobile and tablet in their Q4 2014 investor report. However we do spot boxes from Sony arriving in HK with VTCx inside of them so it seems some production remains. With so much uncertainty, it's usually best to play it safe and go with a more available model / brand.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't understand why these other manufacturers can't build a battery like the sonys vct5.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They can, the Samsung 25R is identical to the VTC5 in specs. Both 2500mAh, 20A.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aren't the VTCs a constant 30a battery? That was the whole reason to get em. Can't see the VTC5 being a lower output than a 4..

It is. It has a high mAh. That's basically the trade off. The 4 has a high C rating, but low mAh because of it.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They can, the Samsung 25R is identical to the VTC5 in specs. Both 2500mAh, 20A.
I thought the VTC5's were 2600mAh and 30A continuous? VTC4s being 2100mAh and 30A continuous.

I wish I could trust that could get a couple VTC4s that were real. I would love love love that. I have a pair that look real but I bought them 4 months ago at a B+M. They perform well but they are married and only live in dual battery mods. I want something that can go nuts on in a mech without worrying.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the VTC5's were 2600mAh and 30A continuous? VTC4s being 2100mAh and 30A continuous.

I wish I could trust that could get a couple VTC4s that were real. I would love love love that. I have a pair that look real but I bought them 4 months ago at a B+M. They perform well but they are married and only live in dual battery mods. I want something that can go nuts on in a mech without worrying.

Liionwholesalers, Lightning Vapes, and ilumin as far as I know all have the real deal.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would love to get a hold of some sonys but with all the hype I am sure they would end up being fakes. ill stick with e fest purples for now they are really good

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Grab some 20Rs... That's the best you are going to get, especially with the low internal resistance

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a very tricky issue with almost no info given out by Sony. They said they would bring down production of commodity cells (18650s) and raise production of li-po / soft-packs for mobile and tablet in their Q4 2014 investor report. However we do spot boxes from Sony arriving in HK with VTCx inside of them so it seems some production remains. With so much uncertainty, it's usually best to play it safe and go with a more available model / brand.

I guess those are NOS. Clearing the warehouse kinda thing.

D Vaping

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lots of VTC4 still in the system, and this is a great battery, which should be on the market for some time to come. VTC5 was discontinued when the factory was shut down post Fukushima. Apparently, VTC5 will come back in June in a big way now that new factories online.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sony doesnt disclose too much info because these batts are not intended for individual sale. They never were.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh yeah. Scored a couple of authentic VTC5 batteries! Yes, i know that 99% of those on market are fakes. But these were bought from a local vendor i really, really trust. Apparently a few of these turned up while he was doing an inventory. So these were made sometime late 2013.

These are now my prized posessions. In a previous life i would have slapped these on a mech with a 0.08 build or something else stupid, but now im using these on my VaporFlask.

VU Sponsors