Become a Patron!

Some mod power related questions :)

Hi. I was planning to get a Cloupor 30W mod, along with an Aspire Atlantis V2.

According to the review below, it seems to indicate that (because it can't step down or whatever) - That it'll have issues keeping below a certain voltage/wattage if you use sub-ohm coils. Would that be an issue if I end up using the Atlantis (which has 0.3, 0.5 and 1.0 coils)? I'm currently used to about 12W with my Nautilus, and if I've understood the video and an online calculator correctly the lowest it can go is 3.5V, which with 0.5Ohm coils would be 25W!!

Furthermore: Assuming the overall wattage is the same, what's the actual difference between coil resistances? Unless it's a matter of changing coil length or thickness or something, then to my mind as long as you have the same amount of power, then it should act the same, right? In other words: What's the difference in experience between using a 0.5Ohm coil and a 1.0Ohm coil if you can manage to set them both to the same Wattage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lYeG-SDFLN4#t=1831

PS: Thanks in advance for any replies :)

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
30W is too low, you need a bit of headroom. On a 0.5 I tend to vape around 27.5W to 32.5W on a 60W mod.

As a bare minimum on 0.5 I would want a 40W mod.

Compared to 1 Ohm you will have a warmer denser vape. However, I find over 1 Ohm to be better for a mouth to lung vape.

Last edited:
30W is too low, you need a bit of headroom. On a 0.5 I tend to vape around 27.5W to 32.5W on a 60W mod.

As a bare minimum on 0.5 I would want a 40W mod.

Compared to 1 Ohm you will have a warmer denser vape. However, I find over 1 Ohm to be better for a mouth to lung vape.

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm. I'm not so sure that I'd want to leap from <15W to 30W though! (I don't really like a hot vape, but obviously big flavour is key, and for that I you need decent density) .... And indeed I do prefer mouth to lung vaping, so would that mean I could use a 1.0 Ohm coil and get away with 30W?

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Nautilus Mini tank, and a full sized one too. For mouth to lung I don't think it gets better enough to warrant a change.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No matter the mod you choose, I would avoid Cloupor brand. They have a bad reputation as a mod maker.

Secondly, the vape at a set wattage of say 20 watts will be different from a .5 and a 1.0 ohm coil. Higher ohms means less wattage is required to produce the same amount of vapor.

I have a Nautilus Mini tank, and a full sized one too. For mouth to lung I don't think it gets better enough to warrant a change.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not quite changing - Truth be told, I left my old mod in a taxi. D'oh!

No matter the mod you choose, I would avoid Cloupor brand. They have a bad reputation as a mod maker.

Secondly, the vape at a set wattage of say 20 watts will be different from a .5 and a 1.0 ohm coil. Higher ohms means less wattage is required to produce the same amount of vapor.

Thanks for the reply also. I'm aware that they've got that reputation, but I'm willing to take the risk. If the thing breaks itself well, the store I'm ordering from is local enough that I can go down there and sort it out if required. Not to mention here in Australia we have ridiculously good consumer protection laws.

Anyway - If a higher ohm coil requires less wattage for the same amount of vapour, then why doesn't everyone use high ohm coils?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anyway - If a higher ohm coil requires less wattage for the same amount of vapour, then why doesn't everyone use high ohm coils?
Simple answer; higher resistance coil uses thinner wire less surface area. Low resistance bigger wire more surface area. The more surface area the more vapor and flavor. Hence Clapton or dual and quad coils. The ID of the coil also matters. The larger the ID the more wick inside the coil and the more liquid to vaporize.

Simple answer; higher resistance coil uses thinner wire less surface area. Low resistance bigger wire more surface area. The more surface area the more vapor and flavor. Hence Clapton or dual and quad coils. The ID of the coil also matters. The larger the ID the more wick inside the coil and the more liquid to vaporize.

Gotcha.

Thanks!

VU Sponsors