So who sells their juice?

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK so I'm trying to finish up some number crunching for my business plan here but I have had virtually zero luck finding information on this anywhere.

I'm trying to find out what retail B&M's in the US pay for the juice they buy wholesale.

I'm under the assumption roughly $4-6 for a 15ml bottle but no idea where I came up with that number (know I saw a post somewhere saying $6, just don't know where).

My signature line will be available for purchase by the general population and not just my inner circle by the end of the year (don't want to violate any rules here by going into detail) but I am trying to figure this out.

Basically, I'm a vaper, have been since 2009, have been DiY'ing since 2011 (seriously since ~April 2014). I have a signature line of 5 juices I'm excited to take to retail stores as a side gig. I'm in sales at the moment so I'm not worried about my ability to get my product in the stores, I just have no idea whatsoever what to expect as far as a price point is concerned.

I know I can make good money selling online, especially these flagship juices, just want to make sure I'm coming in at a reasonable price point to B&M's.

Appreciate any responses.

Edit: Before you ask, everything most people overlook when venturing into this (clean room, insurance, etc) is all set up and ready to go December 1.

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think Smokey Blue has some of her concoctions in some B&M's , she's very knowledgeable and seems to have a ton of experience in DIY so i would contact her to start .

Very friendly and always glad to help as well .

HeadinClouds is another one who is very helpful regarding knowing and describing flavors but have no idea whether he has ever marketed his stuff.

There are many others and i'm sure they will chime in.

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can we get samples of your juices? PM me please. :)
Once my new bottles come in and I get labeling sorted out. I'll be running some sort of promo giveaway before I take everything live just to get some 'unbiased' opinions.

If I won't get banned (keep forgetting this isn't ECF) I'll cross post the promo here when it goes up in the promo section.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I sell in bulk to a few local shops where I live..
depends on the b&m, and or person and what I have at the ready.

depends also on the recipe.. what I have on hand and what I mix..
I tend to do a lot of custom requests..

price selling.. anywhere from .35 cents a mil, in bulk.. to 8.00 for a 15ml, and 15.00 for a 30ml..
my 4 ounces go from anywhere around 35.00 for bulk up to 70..
liters are around 150 and go up.. any further pricing, drop me mail.
if I have to bottle it, the price goes up even more.

best advice for someone looking to sell their juice.. get your money up front.
never "front" juice, and or put them on consignment, but yet samples are always appreciated, and requested.

other advice, be prepared to put in a lot of time, and make sure that your juice is the same, from start to full steep.
and what ever you do, according to the latest.. get your juices tested before anything else. Even labels.

and while on labels, make sure they are plain and to the point.. include all warnings etc..

I wish you a lot of good luck botboy.. :)

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you Smoky. I'll shoot you a PM with what I'm up to shortly. Trying to put together the rest of my questions in detail for you. Appreciate feedback!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK so I'm trying to finish up some number crunching for my business plan here but I have had virtually zero luck finding information on this anywhere.

I'm trying to find out what retail B&M's in the US pay for the juice they buy wholesale.

I'm under the assumption roughly $4-6 for a 15ml bottle but no idea where I came up with that number (know I saw a post somewhere saying $6, just don't know where).

My signature line will be available for purchase by the general population and not just my inner circle by the end of the year (don't want to violate any rules here by going into detail) but I am trying to figure this out.

Basically, I'm a vaper, have been since 2009, have been DiY'ing since 2011. I have a signature line of 5 juices I'm excited to take to retail stores as a side gig. I'm in sales at the moment so I'm not worried about my ability to get my product in the stores, I just have no idea whatsoever what to expect as far as a price point is concerned.

I know I can make good money selling online, especially these flagship juices, just want to make sure I'm coming in at a reasonable price point to B&M's.

Appreciate any responses.

Edit: Before you ask, everything most people overlook when venturing into this (clean room, insurance, etc) is all set up and ready to go December 1.
I have several juices in local B&M's but your question begs more questions basic economics comes into play

AyeJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I sell in bulk to a few local shops where I live..
depends on the b&m, and or person and what I have at the ready.

depends also on the recipe.. what I have on hand and what I mix..
I tend to do a lot of custom requests..

price selling.. anywhere from .35 cents a mil, in bulk.. to 8.00 for a 15ml, and 15.00 for a 30ml..
my 4 ounces go from anywhere around 35.00 for bulk up to 70..
liters are around 150 and go up.. any further pricing, drop me mail.
if I have to bottle it, the price goes up even more.

best advice for someone looking to sell their juice.. get your money up front.
never "front" juice, and or put them on consignment, but yet samples are always appreciated, and requested.

other advice, be prepared to put in a lot of time, and make sure that your juice is the same, from start to full steep.
and what ever you do, according to the latest.. get your juices tested before anything else. Even labels.

and while on labels, make sure they are plain and to the point.. include all warnings etc..

I wish you a lot of good luck botboy.. :)

You're getting that much for wholesale prices? That's more than most top national brands cost wholesale. (Space Jam, Drakes, etc..)
I'm charging $2.75 per 10ml bottle. Bottled and labeled.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I do get "that much".. ;)

wholesale is another ball park all together.
I never sell lower than 20ml bottles, in fact most my sales come from 4 oz and up..

I have been mixing for over a year and a half now, love every minuet of it..
I am picky on to whom I sell, and I put my time into it.

Since going with herbals, it's gotten rather interesting, considering I do not! have an established juice line, and my sales are exclusive.
I do not do too bad, but do I want to go further with this? No.

I never set out to have a juice line and I love keeping it on a "as I go" basis.. seems the people that do buy from me enjoy it as well. :D

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're getting that much for wholesale prices? That's more than most top national brands cost wholesale. (Space Jam, Drakes, etc..)
I'm charging $2.75 per 10ml bottle. Bottled and labeled.
Thats the type of info I was expecting.

Would a $5 asking price for 15ml in glass be unreasonable? I'm expecting closer to $3.50-4.00 but also planning to include a lot of loyalty rewards re-order plans as well as sales, discounts on certain size orders, occasional coupons, etc.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Botboy.. in the end, it is up to you.
I can not tell you what to package your juice in, nor advice on labels, pricing etc.
If someone likes your juice, they will buy..

Juice makers are born every day, products come and go.. in the end, all that matters is if they like, buy and come back for more.
I am not saying do not, but proceed with caution.
It is an investment, with risks.. know what you are getting into.
Be prepared for the worse and expect the best.

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Botboy.. in the end, it is up to you.
I can not tell you what to package your juice in, nor advice on labels, pricing etc.
If someone likes your juice, they will buy..

Juice makers are born every day, products come and go.. in the end, all that matters is if they like, buy and come back for more.
I am not saying do not, but proceed with caution.
It is an investment, with risks.. know what you are getting into.
Be prepared for the worse and expect the best.

Haha perfect. I don't expect it go smoothly by any means. Mainly taking this route as my local B&M that I've been frequenting for 3 years for my mods etc, has been begging me to sell them my juice. They were one location when I first started going there, just opened their third with the fourth in the works. There's probably 30 vape shops within 10 miles of me.

I know my stuff is good, like really good. Better than most of what they carry. Would never claim to be the quality of Suicide Bunny or Five Pawns, but it's damn good. Should be a gourmet line in their shop being sold at the price of the other 'crap' they offer.

Going to give it a whirl and see what happens. Fingers crossed, anyways, it's only costing me $5k start up for the first 3 months and a crap ton of my time. I'm a 1099 sales guy working commission only so it's really no big deal for me to take some of my time and pursue another avenue. If it works out and I can get into 10-15 B&M's I'd be ecstatic. If I wind up just moving a few hundred bottles a month, I'll be a bit disappointed but still profitable. If I can't make a single wholesale sale then I'd be really sad but oh well. At least I'd have enough supplies to keep me vaping for a few years.

Time to research freezing flavors in case this is a bust? lol

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I would not freeze them, but one could use them in baking as well as potpourri :D

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would not freeze them, but one could use them in baking as well as potpourri :D
Was reading some threads on ECF from Kirk (the chemist). He sees no reason the PG based flavors couldn't be placed in the freezer just like VG/PG/NIC. I store everything in the fridge as it is and have never had a bottle (except TFA Honey) last me more than 3 months. Everything is going in glass when I receive my bulk order so odds are it'll fine in the fridge for quite some time.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was reading some threads on ECF from Kirk (the chemist). He sees no reason the PG based flavors couldn't be placed in the freezer just like VG/PG/NIC. I store everything in the fridge as it is and have never had a bottle (except TFA Honey) last me more than 3 months. Everything is going in glass when I receive my bulk order so odds are it'll fine in the fridge for quite some time.

Would be nice to have a definitive answer on this - you could email FA directly and ask them? I know Marcelina responds to emails!

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I give samples of my recipes with starter kits to pay it forward. I really don't want the hassle of selling. I also give people my phone number in case of questions. A lady wanted 4 10 ml bottles and paid me $5.00 a piece for them. She wanted zero nicotine. She was so excited that I helped her stop smoking. So I didn't mind. I also give informational sheets out where folks can find equipment and supplies. I am too busy to be making eliquid for all and sundry. Then delivering it. I just want to help people get off tobacco. The money will go towards the next ego kits for my next pif.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I make up juices for a few people… I sell it for 10 bucks for 30ml. My cost is low and these are people I know personally so I am not in it to make a ton of loot. I just do it because I have never tried a juice I "liked" until I made my own.

SeaVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I make up juices for a few people… I sell it for 10 bucks for 30ml. My cost is low and these are people I know personally so I am not in it to make a ton of loot. I just do it because I have never tried a juice I "liked" until I made my own.
Goodonya Mate I am the same way. After DIY I dislike all vape shop juices. The cost in DIY is totally right and you just can't beat the juice you make. I'm happy giving people I know a good deal. No retirement here in juice making. When you get some good juices down its like " You can buy any 'ol fast food burger out there but theres just nothing like a good homemade one".

AyeJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thats the type of info I was expecting.

Would a $5 asking price for 15ml in glass be unreasonable? I'm expecting closer to $3.50-4.00 but also planning to include a lot of loyalty rewards re-order plans as well as sales, discounts on certain size orders, occasional coupons, etc.

A lot of variables at play in how you can approach business. $4 is more than likely for an unknown brand. Remember that a B&M is gonna ask $9-$10 or more for that bottle. The B&M has a higher overhead and they need a decent profit margin. If you are trying to make a name for a future "Brand Name", only offer it up pre bottled and labeled. If you ever expect it to have mass appeal, spend some time on a label more geared for marketing, not the generic style that makes it look cheap. This will increase your costs, but has more potential for mass appeal.

BrandieZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a retail store and USED to buy juice but because of the high prices of crappy flavors and horrible bottles that just made the juice turn to crap I have been making my own juices for 3 years. I have paid $3 per 6ml- $3-5 per 10ml-$6-$10 per 30ml and they really were nothing to brag about. I do not sell wholesale because retail is so much profit for me, hope this helps

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks AyeJay and BrandieZ. That's about what I expected. My labels are clean and simple but my bottles will be unique. While I understand the appeal to a lot of consumers of a crazy bottle, not being able to read what the f*** is on the bottle annoys the hell out of me as a buyer.

It's clean, simple, and elegant and it works with the brand name. I will NOT sell my juice to retailers for them to rebottle, however, I am more than happy with $4-5 for 15ml. In fact, my business plan and profit model assumes $3.50 wholesale price to B&M's for 15ml, and $5.49 online sales. Expecting $6/bottle for 30ml wholesale and $8.49 for online sales.

Mixing 40 bottles per hour (have timed myself) that should under the worst circumstance (selling 15ml to B&M's) has me clearing $100 an hour for active mixing time.

The math in my mind is pretty simple. If I can capture 10% of the market in 15 B&M's I can clear $70,000 a year. Lot of hours upfront for sales and making sure everything will run smoothly, after that, it's simply keeping those relationships and 10-15 hours a week worth of mixing. Starting with only one line of flavors, unless B&M's request something specific.

I also have 3 more flavor lines under construction but it'll be 6 months+ before any full line is perfected. I may offer some of these online as they are under construction but they will be noted as so and sold at a discount.

Last edited:

BrandieZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would charge more, me as a retailer I would pay more for good quality juices!! Plastic bottles breath and ruin juices, glass bottles the juice last much longer. Fruit flavors tend to loose flavor over time and your cakes and sweets will steep over time and need to breath. I have been pre-steeping my juices before I bottle! This is your creations so don't under charge!! Making juices is a creation that takes time as you know;) I do know plenary of B&M that still buy there juice and have no interest in making there own!!

I am in my lab 20-30 hours per week and pull in 10-15k a month in just juice sales out of my B&M great profit!!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I simply don't understand why someone would come here and ask for help, and then go and repost everything he's found useful on another forum, making it look as if he's an expert. If permission had first been asked, or if it was at least discussed, that might have been a different matter, but to just copy and paste all the recipes and reviews of others seems to be a bit off.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I simply don't understand why someone would come here and ask for help, and then go and repost everything he's found useful on another forum, making it look as if he's an expert. If permission had first been asked, or if it was at least discussed, that might have been a different matter, but to just copy and paste all the recipes and reviews of others seems to be a bit off.
Would have been much easier to say, "Hey I found a lot of FA recipes at VU", post a link a move on. That's kinda disturbing, honestly.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
does this mean, botboy will just keep his account and read everything now without posting anywhere?
will botboy make a new account and "change ways" and butter people up to get their recipes?
what will botboy do? choices, choices.. but botboy is busted.

oh wait.. I do not care lmao.. sorry.. out of care to give..

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the real question is whether @Botboy141 is planning to sell @HeadInClouds recipes as his own... Given the info that he posted over at reddit.com at least he gave HIC credit in the post.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would have been much easier to say, "Hey I found a lot of FA recipes at VU", post a link a move on. That's kinda disturbing, honestly.
Trying to build a reputation for later sales maybe? More memorable to post a ton on one huge post than a link saying go to VU.

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Botboy, are you having your juice lab tested before you start to sell it ?
Yes, all of my Signature line juices will be lab tested and will be diacetyl, acetyl, and acetyl propionyl free. I'm gonna go ahead and ignore everything between the post I've quoted until here as I feel it's been addressed adequately here, except for Smoky's as Enthalpy is who will be testing my juices.

If you have further questions or concerns about my conduct, please keep it in that thread if we could? Thanks and sorry again for the misunderstanding.

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad to see you will be testing you juice , you are off to a good start .

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks AyeJay and BrandieZ. That's about what I expected. My labels are clean and simple but my bottles will be unique. While I understand the appeal to a lot of consumers of a crazy bottle, not being able to read what the f*** is on the bottle annoys the hell out of me as a buyer.

It's clean, simple, and elegant and it works with the brand name. I will NOT sell my juice to retailers for them to rebottle, however, I am more than happy with $4-5 for 15ml. In fact, my business plan and profit model assumes $3.50 wholesale price to B&M's for 15ml, and $5.49 online sales. Expecting $6/bottle for 30ml wholesale and $8.49 for online sales.

Mixing 40 bottles per hour (have timed myself) that should under the worst circumstance (selling 15ml to B&M's) has me clearing $100 an hour for active mixing time.

The math in my mind is pretty simple. If I can capture 10% of the market in 15 B&M's I can clear $70,000 a year. Lot of hours upfront for sales and making sure everything will run smoothly, after that, it's simply keeping those relationships and 10-15 hours a week worth of mixing. Starting with only one line of flavors, unless B&M's request something specific.

I also have 3 more flavor lines under construction but it'll be 6 months+ before any full line is perfected. I may offer some of these online as they are under construction but they will be noted as so and sold at a discount.

Botboy I am in Ky. And I quit smoking 3-4 months back and began vaping! So no, I may not b so experienced, but if your juice is good I believe you should ask more especially in glass bottles. I live in bfe ( country) and here venders juice goes for at least $7-9 for 15 ml. In plastic bottles and it all SUCKS! Thus I am beginning DIY just for me and a few friends.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Botboy I am in Ky. And I quit smoking 3-4 months back and began vaping! So no, I may not b so experienced, but if your juice is good I believe you should ask more especially in glass bottles. I live in bfe ( country) and here venders juice goes for at least $7-9 for 15 ml. In plastic bottles and it all SUCKS! Thus I am beginning DIY just for me and a few friends.
You could try this guy, IF DIY doesn't work out for you. He sells online, he's in Louisville, has many of his flavors at a place called Cit-e-Cig and his stuff is really good. He also sells FA flavorings. Not to deter you from DIY... it's SO much fun and quite a bit cheaper.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well thanks Huckleberried! I did try some online but sucked. This site is Awesome! And I do hope people are not copying and selling others receipes! This is a great site and would hate to have people Leary of posting do to people making and selling others receipes! One word people: Karma!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have not been following this thread so don't know whats happening but i would like to answer the OP's question , you ask , does anyone sell their juice , me personally , no , i make the stuff but i'm very hesitant to vape it , you get the picture .

Hope this helps

VU Sponsors