Become a Patron!

So I am supposed to dilute my 100 mg/ml nic for better storage?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just read online that 100 mg/ml nic should be diluted down so it will not oxidize as quickly. I just poured my in to separate glass bottles and stuck in the freezer. Some has been there for a while.

Do you all dilute before you store?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can dilute it but only for safety, so that you won't have to handle it many times at high concentration.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope; it's much easier to store highly-concentrated. When you take a bottle out of the freezer, suppose you could dilute it then, if you like, but I find it very easy to use in 100mg form; I'm down to 4mg, but I just use 1ml syringes, makes measuring small amounts very simple. Whatever I take out of the freezer, I keep in the fridge until the bottle is done.

Andria

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just use it at 100 mg and put what I need. I am at 0.75 mg and went up a little on my last batch of juice. I don't use a lot in a 250 ml nic base bottle.

I need to recalculate what I have. I am unsure if I need more. I estimate about 2 liters in the freezer. I am sure it will go bad before I can use it and you probably won't be able to buy any nic by then.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just use it at 100 mg and put what I need. I am at 0.75 mg and went up a little on my last batch of juice. I don't use a lot in a 250 ml nic base bottle.

I need to recalculate what I have. I am unsure if I need more. I estimate about 2 liters in the freezer. I am sure it will go bad before I can use it and you probably won't be able to buy any nic by then.

If it's in glass in the freezer, it's good for at least 10 yrs, maybe indefinitely. I have about 2.5 liters in the freezer, which should be more than I'll need for the rest of my life -- I'm 55, so if I live another 30 yrs, I'm good with that and have no need to live longer. But I might get another half liter, just in case quitting smoking causes the female longevity that's so common in my family, living to ~100 yrs.

Andria

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have some nic that's been in the freezer for something like 4 years now and it looks the same as it did going in. I didn't test the potency but going by what others have stated who have had their nic in a freezer even longer than I have, any loss should be negligible.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's in glass in the freezer, it's good for at least 10 yrs, maybe indefinitely. I have about 2.5 liters in the freezer, which should be more than I'll need for the rest of my life -- I'm 55, so if I live another 30 yrs, I'm good with that and have no need to live longer. But I might get another half liter, just in case quitting smoking causes the female longevity that's so common in my family, living to ~100 yrs.

Andria

I do not think 10 years is accurate. Can you offer a source for that claim?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I do not think 10 years is accurate. Can you offer a source for that claim?

My name ain't google. I've seen someone say that, don't know where, when, or whom. People have been vaping for pretty close to 10 yrs now, and probably some have had nic stored that long, or close to it. But the thing is... I *have* seen claims of 4, 5, 6 yrs storage, with ZERO change in the nic's color, taste, or smell; there might be *slight* degradation in potency, but at 100mg, any slight degradation would be a non-issue. If it can last that long with zero change, it can probably last twice that or even longer, when stored in a freezer in dark glass with little airspace at the top of the bottle.

Andria

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My name ain't google. I've seen someone say that, don't know where, when, or whom. People have been vaping for pretty close to 10 yrs now, and probably some have had nic stored that long, or close to it. But the thing is... I *have* seen claims of 4, 5, 6 yrs storage, with ZERO change in the nic's color, taste, or smell; there might be *slight* degradation in potency, but at 100mg, any slight degradation would be a non-issue. If it can last that long with zero change, it can probably last twice that or even longer, when stored in a freezer in dark glass with little airspace at the top of the bottle.

Andria

Ya, that's what I thought. Just anecdotal nothings. Wishful thinking, which obviously I also wish were true. But that doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately. It's probably, though, something you shouldn't just throw out there as if it were a fact...

When PG and VG only have a 2 and 1 year shelf life, respectively, I think you might need to adjust your expectations for just how long those 2.5 liters in your freezer will last you.

https://www.nudenicotine.com/storing-nicotine-solution/ (further down the article)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ya, that's what I thought. Just anecdotal nothings. Wishful thinking, which obviously I also wish were true. But that doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately. It's probably, though, something you shouldn't just throw out there as if it were a fact...

When PG and VG only have a 2 and 1 year shelf life, respectively, I think you might need to adjust your expectations for just how long those 2.5 liters in your freezer will last you.

https://www.nudenicotine.com/storing-nicotine-solution/ (further down the article)

PG and Vg aren't generally stored in freezers in glass bottles.

Andria

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Well then that means that all Nicotine has a shelf life of max 2 years since the base in 100 mg is 90%

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PG and Vg aren't generally stored in freezers in glass bottles.

Andria

And a freezer doesn't magically make things last forever.

Ok, I'm done here. I was just curious if you had something other than anecdotal claims you've come across on the internet. I've got my answer.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well then that means that all Nicotine has a shelf life of max 2 years since the base in 100 mg is 90%

Just one of the reasons this FDA shit is such a stresser.

As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any long term studies done on how the type of nic we vapers use ages over the years. So, at least to my standards, there are a lot of unknowns regarding just how long the nic in our freezers will last.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just one of the reasons this FDA shit is such a stresser.

As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any long term studies done on how the type of nic we vapers use ages over the years. So, at least to my standards, there are a lot of unknowns regarding just how long the nic in our freezers will last.
good I thought I missed something I have yet to see any long term test in fact I have never heard anyone mention the current longest period they have been storing Nic and tested any degradation

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, and to the OP's question, Nude's article I posted suggests that at least for long term storage, it wouldn't be a bad idea to dilute 100mg down:

"Higher nicotine strengths will possess more nicotine molecules, less likely to be completely solvated by their carrier (PG/VG). Put simply – 100mg/mL formulations will keep for less time than a 24mg/mL formulation."

Should that be taken as gospel? And how long is the "less time" being referenced?

I personally don't dilute my 100mg nic down, but since I have a little ejuice business I go through nic somewhat fast (about a gallon a year at this point). That article did push me to switch from 100% VG to 100% PG as my base of choice, since:

"PG is also a much better solvent for this purpose – it has an extremely low viscosity, will dissipate dispersed oxygen bubbles quickly (say that 4 times fast!), and has a longer shelf-life chemically (2 years from DOM, vs. VG – 1 year)."

But again, there are so many variables involved, it's hard to know how big a difference any of this makes, when speaking in general terms.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
good I thought I missed something I have yet to see any long term test in fact I have never heard anyone mention the current longest period they have been storing Nic and tested any degradation

I figure there has to be at least a few scientifically minded vapers out there, who have dated bottles stored away in their freezer, with plans to do some tests at various intervals. Hopefully I'll come across their reports at some point.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I figure there has to be at least a few scientifically minded vapers out there, who have dated bottles stored away in their freezer, with plans to do some tests at various intervals. Hopefully I'll come across their reports at some point.

There are and you can find at least one such discussion over on another forum. That particular thread features a fairly well know vaping advocate and actual chemist who has pretty much said exactly what Andria mentioned.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are and you can find at least one such discussion over on another forum. That particular thread features a fairly well know vaping advocate and actual chemist who has pretty much said exactly what Andria mentioned.

Thanks! Something to go on (and an actually reason to check out that other forum lol).

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeahhhhh ... soooo ... i just freeze it at the regular 100mg's break it up to 60 ml bottles first and pull out what I need one at a time. ;p

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do have some that is two years old and I can't tell a difference. No taste and still clear. It's like eggs, they are still good past expiration date. People put too much thought in to it.

I can see it now, hordes of people running in to tobacco fields stealing leafs to make their own nic. What a thought.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can comfortably say that the nic I have recently opened, that was in my regular freezer that is part of my fridge, after 2+ years is still clear and having tested it, has not lost strength. That's good enough for me, at this point. Even if it were 90mg, clear and had no change in odor, I'd still use mine.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can comfortably say that the nic I have recently opened, that was in my regular freezer that is part of my fridge, after 2+ years is still clear and having tested it, has not lost strength. That's good enough for me, at this point. Even if it were 90mg, clear and had no change in odor, I'd still use mine.

and thats not even a deep freeze .. pretty good results ... if I can get two + years , sounds good!

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
. It's probably, though, something you shouldn't just throw out there as if it were a fact...

Should that be taken as gospel?

As a general rule of thumb, I don't take anything as "gospel" that I am told by a vendor trying to sell me something.

I have looked into the question of nic storage a bit, and somehow I was left with the 10 yr. figure in my mind. No, I didn't bookmark the source, and if called on the carpet would have to admit that it's just my opinion. And I keep in mind that this is a forum of peoples opinions, not a scientific journal. If I have a different opinion, I'll state it, but refrain from telling others what they should or should not say or demand that they provide some sort of proof.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a general rule of thumb, I don't take anything as "gospel" that I am told by a vendor trying to sell me something.

I have looked into the question of nic storage a bit, and somehow I was left with the 10 yr. figure in my mind. No, I didn't bookmark the source, and if called on the carpet would have to admit that it's just my opinion. And I keep in mind that this is a forum of peoples opinions, not a scientific journal. If I have a different opinion, I'll state it, but refrain from telling others what they should or should not say or demand that they provide some sort of proof.

Sure, approach things however you want. But my post brought people in to share their own personal experiences, and point to another source of information, making this thread much more information rich than it was before.

In my experience, it's better to state a higher standard and risk offending someone, than just let things stay murky. Seems to have worked out ok in this thread.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I'm pretty sure that's where I read it, but it's been so long, I have no specific memory of it. If nic can last 6yrs wtihout significant oxidation or degradation (which I have DEFINITELY read), I see no reason why that would suddenly change at some later point -- any changes are going to be very minute and over a very long span of time.

Andria

Last edited:
Nope; it's much easier to store highly-concentrated. When you take a bottle out of the freezer, suppose you could dilute it then, if you like, but I find it very easy to use in 100mg form; I'm down to 4mg, but I just use 1ml syringes, makes measuring small amounts very simple. Whatever I take out of the freezer, I keep in the fridge until the bottle is done.

Andria
i just bought 100,g/ml vg base and am confused on how to break it down to 6 or 3 mg is it 1 mg per ml or what?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
i just bought 100,g/ml vg base and am confused on how to break it down to 6 or 3 mg is it 1 mg per ml or what?
Like Andria, I leave my nic uncut and just add what is needed to my mix to make it come in at 3 mg. Use a DIY calculator, it will tell you how much of everything is needed to make your recipe. There are lots of good ones out there, Windows based, web based, or Android based. Not sure about IOS or MacOS as I'm not an Apple user.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree, using an eliquid calculator will take the guesswork out of mixing nic, and flavorings.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
1ml of 100mg per ml, no, don't do that.

Based on 5ml, 6mg is 0.5ml 10mg of 6mg is 0.6ml, and so on. Use a juice calculator, don't mess around with your nic.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

You don't, unless you have a freezer the size of your house -- you store it in 100mg form, and add what you need to each mix, using an ejuice calculator, as everyone else is pointing out. I use this one: DIY E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors With Nicotine Plus PG/VG Adjusting.

If it's in VG, it'll need to be out of the freezer for a bit before mixing, or it's more of a gel than a liquid. I keep a 30ml bottle in the fridge, for use in mixing, but mine's PG, so it stays thin -- for nic in VG, might want to keep a smallish bottle out of the freezer/fridge, on the counter, in the cabinet, etc -- dark glass, dark or dim storage.

Andria

VU Sponsors