Become a Patron!

So, building on a reg device?

Hi all, I have been building sub ohm dual coils on my RDA attached to my sigelei 100watt using 24g macros or 26g micros and recently I thought to myself "since its a regulated device, do I even need these .40subohm coils on there? What's the point if we can adjust the wattage without resistance in comparison to mechs?"

So now my question is, has anyone or does anyone build with higher resistance on these big wattage devices and still get a nice, thick, warm, and dense vape in comparison? And if so, what are the specs? (mm, wraps, wire gauge, etc.)

I have been meaning to try it but I don't wanna waste money on higher gauge wire without seeing what others are doing and whether it's working for them.

Thanks everyone.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A lot of times I will build a 1.5 ohm(ish) coil on my KFL+ for use on my Sigelei 100 watt mod and I am happy with the results.

I use 27 gauge Kanthal around a 3mm rod on my Coilmaster at around 6/7 wraps.

I have been told that to reach an actual 100 watt output on this mod you need your coil resistance to be right around 0.3 ohms.

That being said, I rarely go over 35 watts when using a dual coil build.

Single coil normally 20 to 22 watts.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi all, I have been building sub ohm dual coils on my RDA attached to my sigelei 100watt using 24g macros or 26g micros and recently I thought to myself "since its a regulated device, do I even need these .40subohm coils on there? What's the point if we can adjust the wattage without resistance in comparison to mechs?"

Yes you do... or rather, you want to. Heat is not the only factor. The primary purpose of low resistance is to increase coil net surface area. More surface area, assuming you have enough wattage to heat it, means that you vaporize more juice per firing.

So now my question is, has anyone or does anyone build with higher resistance on these big wattage devices and still get a nice, thick, warm, and dense vape in comparison? And if so, what are the specs? (mm, wraps, wire gauge, etc.)

Doubtful... again, it's a combination of surface area, and the wattage to reach a desirable heat flux value.

I have been meaning to try it but I don't wanna waste money on higher gauge wire without seeing what others are doing and whether it's working for them.

Thanks everyone.
Assuming you have a computer and not a smart phone... click the first through third sigline hyperlinks below... start reading.

VU Sponsors