Become a Patron!

Smok Alien 220w temp control emothread

HeroicEgg

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've rushed out and bought the Alien, and for the most part I'm happy with it. However I can't for the life of me get the temp control to work as intended.

Set up at 30W, built dual coil 2.5mm X 14 wrap NiFe30 (Stealthvape) contact coils on the baby beast RBA and set the TCR on Titanium mode to 500. New Coil to "yes" and fire away.

Results: weak, lifeless vape.

Updated firmware to 1.2.2: no change

Tried same tank on my Dani Extreme V2 with the same settings and it worked a treat.

Tried same tank on my friend's alien and same lifeless weak vape!

I'm at a loss to understand it. Anyone out there who can help!? I don't want to give up on it quite yet BUT TC = my favourite

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
it doesn't do nife wire.
why would you set TCR to 500? it should be about 320 for that wire
works fine for me with SS wire but not as good as a DNA or G2 would, but it's decent enough

HeroicEgg

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In theory yes but who knows for sure. Try it at 320 and see. If not I can always try it this weekend

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I feel like if the TCR was wrong by that amount it wouldn't work on the Dani either. Dani is set to 500 and it (appears) to work a treat, but TCR issues aside the mods are producing a different outcome on the same tank and build so something is confusingly off here. I'm worried I have a bad one and/or am being a complete tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I feel like if the TCR was wrong by that amount it wouldn't work on the Dani either. Dani is set to 500 and it (appears) to work a treat, but TCR issues aside the mods are producing a different outcome on the same tank and build so something is confusingly off here. I'm worried I have a bad one and/or am being a complete tool!

you can't really test if it's working as intended unless you have a baseline aka take the build, set the TCR on a DNA mod, hook up to escribe and see how it performs with the chart. if it's working correctly use it as a baseline. then test the alien and dani and see which one is the closest

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
it doesn't do nife wire.
why would you set TCR to 500? it should be about 320 for that wire
works fine for me with SS wire but not as good as a DNA or G2 would, but it's decent enough

Yeah I agree that SS316L vapes fine on the Alien as far as standard mods go. About 440 f at 40 w and a .7 ohm build on a Merlin. I'm not crazy about the Alien menu system but TC vaping is not bad. My Efusion DNA200 is substantially better. I would suggest this, if you know what you're doing and the thing doesn't vape correctly in TC don't go crazy trying to fix it. I went through the same thing on a DNA200 VT133 and it was a waste of time. It was flat out defective. Just try to return the thing.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah I agree that SS316L vapes fine on the Alien as far as standard mods go. About 440 f at 40 w and a .7 ohm build on a Merlin. I'm not crazy about the Alien menu system but TC vaping is not bad. My Efusion DNA200 is substantially better. I would suggest this, if you know what you're doing and the thing doesn't vape correctly in TC don't go crazy trying to fix it. I went through the same thing on a DNA200 VT133 and it was a waste of time. It was flat out defective. Just try to return the thing.

i love the menu system. simple, easy and can be done with mostly 1 button/1hand. As you said alien TC is serviceable but obviously won't compare to a DNA200 mod or FSK mod

HeroicEgg

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For shits and giggles I tried setting the Nickel mode to 500 and checked it. Now the Alien is performing exactly like the Dani.

The riddle continues BUT it's now meeting my criteria so I'm no longer complaining, but I AM curious

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
For shits and giggles I tried setting the Nickel mode to 500 and checked it. Now the Alien is performing exactly like the Dani.

The riddle continues BUT it's now meeting my criteria so I'm no longer complaining, but I AM curious

I'm assuming there is more then just TCR to controlling temps or any mod could control any wire

HeroicEgg

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I thought the opposite was true and TCR variable mods were the last word in temp control. Thinking about it: so long as you know the thermal coefficient of the wire and can build in a reasonable resistance: it should be possible. The "MODES" are simply preset TCR's.

Then again: I've been wrong before, MANY times!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Well I thought the opposite was true and TCR variable mods were the last word in temp control. Thinking about it: so long as you know the thermal coefficient of the wire and can build in a reasonable resistance: it should be possible. The "MODES" are simply preset TCR's.

Then again: I've been wrong before, MANY times!

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means but DNA mods offer the TCR or curve options and IMO the curve options perform a little better then a flat TCR value. If you look at steam engine you can see the difference in a linear TCR value compared to a TFR curve. even kenthal has a TCR value of 0.00002 but plugging that into any mod doesn't work for TC. Hohmtech has their FSK values and a separate one for kenthal. It could be sensitivity where a lower TCR value mode has a higher sensitivity in ohms reading? like i said not an expert but there has to be reasons that are logical behind this

HeroicEgg

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I only go by the fact that the Dani has many options, one of which is "other" and you set your own TCR. Of all the different wires I've tried over the years it's always been really reliable. My understanding of Kanthal's relative uselessness for TC is the low TCR value which means you need mega sensitivity to get it accurate. High TCR of material = better sensitivity I.e larger change in resistance vs heat, and therefore easier and more accurate temp control. I could go out and buy a DNA but I don't care that much whether or not my coil is firing at 200 or 201 degrees: more that it's working more or less accurately and not burning up my cotton.

Logical reason could be as simple as a software glitch. Easiest solution tends to be the correct one. It will probably be patched out in future updates.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I only go by the fact that the Dani has many options, one of which is "other" and you set your own TCR. Of all the different wires I've tried over the years it's always been really reliable. My understanding of Kanthal's relative uselessness for TC is the low TCR value which means you need mega sensitivity to get it accurate. High TCR of material = better sensitivity I.e larger change in resistance vs heat, and therefore easier and more accurate temp control. I could go out and buy a DNA but I don't care that much whether or not my coil is firing at 200 or 201 degrees: more that it's working more or less accurately and not burning up my cotton.

Logical reason could be as simple as a software glitch. Easiest solution tends to be the correct one. It will probably be patched out in future updates.

yup i hear you. good enough is good enough most of the time. The big think I like is smooth. as in it lowers watt to keep a smooth trail coming instead of a pulse thats vaper none vaper none if that makes sense.

on my G2 i'll set it at 171 watts now and just set my temp so I get instant ramp up and it controls the voltage for a smooth vape anyway

HeroicEgg

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll take smoothness over accuracy any day.

VU Sponsors