Simple (and stupid) question about mixing pre-diluted flavor bases

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Short version of the question-
If I have a
5ml bottle of 80VG 1mg/ml juice that is 6% FA Strawberry (aka fruit)
and a
5ml bottle of 80VG 1mg/ml juice that is 10% CAP Vanilla Custard V2 (aka base)

If I pour them into the same bottle I will have a
10ml bottle of 80VG 1mg/ml juice that is 3% FA Strawberry and 5% CAP Vanilla Custard V2

Is that correct? It seems too easy and that's exactly what has me questioning the math.

Backstory if it matters - I want to premix a few fruits and a few different bases and mess around with the combinations. Say 4 fruits and 4 bases for a total of 16 combinations. A much simpler version of HIC's Vape Cocktail Party, basically.

If I mix the fruits and bases at double the percentage then mix 1:1 (fruit:base) I think it all works out. Figured I better ask before I do it though! I hope my words made any kind of sense. :oops:

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
10ml bottle of 80VG 1mg/ml juice that is 3% FA Strawberry and 5% CAP Vanilla Custard V2

Is that correct? It seems too easy and that's exactly what has me questioning the math.

yes.. your math is right..

If I mix the fruits and bases at double the percentage then mix 1:1 (fruit:base) I think it all works out. Figured I better ask before I do it though! I hope my words made any kind of sense. :oops:

that could work.. I just do it a bit different than you do..

I make my flavors up in sections, if i pre steep, its just with just flavors and nic.. no base.. and try to keep my math bits focused on the flavorings..
I am not very good at explaining how i pre steep and some I just can not post about at all.. maybe someone else can pop up a good example for you..

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yes.. your math is right..

that could work.. I just do it a bit different than you do..

I make my flavors up in sections, if i pre steep, its just with just flavors and nic.. no base.. and try to keep my math bits focused on the flavorings..
I am not very good at explaining how i pre steep and some I just can not post about at all.. maybe someone else can pop up a good example for you..
Thanks for answering SB!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Short version of the question-
If I have a
5ml bottle of 80VG 1mg/ml juice that is 6% FA Strawberry (aka fruit)
and a
5ml bottle of 80VG 1mg/ml juice that is 10% CAP Vanilla Custard V2 (aka base)

Backstory if it matters - I want to premix a few fruits and a few different bases and mess around with the combinations. Say 4 fruits and 4 bases for a total of 16 combinations. A much simpler version of HIC's Vape Cocktail Party, basically.

Your math is right, and that concept is something I often do, but I came to a screeching halt here:
"If I mix the fruits and bases at double the percentage then mix 1:1 (fruit:base) I think it all works out. "
Is NOT what you want to do, if I understand your goal.

Mix each of your fruit and base bottles at "full strength", as you would for standalone use - not double strength.
Once you have those 8 bottles, you aren't limited to just 16 combinations, either. You could use 2 OR MORE of the them together. 1 base+1fruit, or 2 bases +3fruits, or 2 fruits, or all 8 together,....etc.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I gotcha. Thanks a lot for helping me with this HIC.

I see what you mean. Stick with me for a sec. If I accept my limitation of only one fruit and one base, to only be mixed 50/50, and I want the peach to be at 3% at the end of the day, I should mix it at 6% in the "concentrate" though correct? I'm fine with those limitations for the sake of this little experiment.

Your method is to keep the total percentage of flavoring of the finished product at a reasonable level? I was just thinking even if I mix my "concentrates" double strength and use all 8 in equal parts, that 6% peach "concentrate" becomes 0.75% Peach in the final mix (12.5% of 6%). No?

Sorry to be so dense about this.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I gotcha. Thanks a lot for helping me with this HIC.

I see what you mean. Stick with me for a sec. If I accept my limitation of only one fruit and one base, to only be mixed 50/50, and I want the peach to be at 3% at the end of the day, I should mix it at 6% in the "concentrate" though correct? I'm fine with those limitations for the sake of this little experiment.

Your method is to keep the total percentage of flavoring of the finished product at a reasonable level? I was just thinking even if I mix my "concentrates" double strength and use all 8 in equal parts, that 6% peach "concentrate" becomes 0.75% Peach in the final mix (12.5% of 6%). No?

Sorry to be so dense about this.

You are correct on everything you've said in this post, except the part about being dense.

Yes, if you do it as I explained and mix each equally, you do get a mix with just 0.75% Peach. Perhaps surprisingly (depending somewhat on the other flavors involved) you'll likely still taste it - as one of 7 different flavors, not the main one, of course.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You are correct on everything you've said in this post, except the part about being dense

win.jpg

Yeah it's crazy how a flavor can still be present at a reduced percentage when in a complex mix. That FA White Peach at 3% though, it makes me verrrry happy. That's exactly why I want to try this experiment. Does 3% Peach work equally well in a custard base, in spicy Cardamom base, and in a boozy base? Probably not but at least I'll know for sure! Then we'll see how blueberry and strawberry hold up. :)

VU Sponsors