Become a Patron!

Should I be concerned

I have a mad hatter RDA on a eleaf 30w. I am running a 1.5ohm single coil. According to ohm law graph I should only have to go up to around 4.3~ before I start getting vapor. However in having to set my voltage to 5.5 v with 29.1 watts before I get any worth while vapor. Whats going on here that the device is allowing this with a 1.5 ohm single coil?

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I understand about the 30w you should be able to build as low as 0.4Ω and all the way up to 5Ω

Maybe try building a coil at 1 ohm or less like .6 or so and then start at about 15 watts and slowly go up from there until you find what you are looking for. If you adjust just the wattage, the device should automatically adjust the volts to match.

These iSticks make it pretty safe to experiment.

P.S. Welcome to VU

I can confirm that sub ohm isn't an issue. I just find it odd that I'm running a 1.5 ohm single coil, and in order to get decent vapor I am having to put voltage up to minimum 5.5v. Every ohm law chart, even the one in the charts section here, says that level for 1.5 ohm is way too hot. I'm also not burning any liquid.
1ad959db994710c7272b863d5a582214.jpg

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That chart might be a little outdated.
Being as you are using a device that adjusts automatically for you, I would not be too concerned.
Just adjust and vape to your content. If you notice any burning, just lower your wattage. You should be fine. These devices truly make your vaping experience safe so you should not have to be worried!

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What kind of device is that chart made for? cig-a-like? prebuilt coil? rda coil? Different devices need different powers
What kind of device is the chart designed for? Also goes with the above. If the device has a cutoff time for the fire button, the chart might not be usable if it assumes a 5 second warmup time or something like that.
Who's opinion is 'too hot' based on? Different people feel differently. Different people like different temps.
How much vapor is the chart designed to help you produce? Maybe the vapor your producing following the chart is what the chart was designed to produce.
What kind of liquid is the chart designed for? Maybe it was designed for VG juices and your using a PG juice, or vice versa.
How much power time is the chart assuming? Maybe your just not holding the fire button long enough, maybe the chart assumes a warmup time and not instant production. I can get vapor off a 20 gauge 0.14 ohm coil @ 20 watts, but I need to hold the fire button down for 10 seconds for it to warm up first.
What kind of gauge wire is it based around? This is probably the biggest thing. Thicker wire = longer heat up time before vapor production, or more power needed to heat it up just as fast as thinner wire. A 1.2 ohm coil made out of 26 gauge kanthal will need more power then a 1.2 ohm coil made out of 36 gauge kanthal to reach the same level of heat in the same amount of time (hence the power time mentioned above). The 26 gauge kanthal can also support higher wattages then the 36 gauge kanthal due to being a thicker wire. Might even need these higher watts to produce the same temp vape as the 36 due to being a larger wire.

According to that chart, I was running my nautiluses 'too hot' when I was using 12 watts.

Most charges aren't scientifically proven documents, they are just based around the personal experiences and opinions of one or more people.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of device is that chart made for? cig-a-like? prebuilt coil? rda coil? Different devices need different powers
What kind of device is the chart designed for? Also goes with the above. If the device has a cutoff time for the fire button, the chart might not be usable if it assumes a 5 second warmup time or something like that.
Who's opinion is 'too hot' based on? Different people feel differently. Different people like different temps.
How much vapor is the chart designed to help you produce? Maybe the vapor your producing following the chart is what the chart was designed to produce.
What kind of liquid is the chart designed for? Maybe it was designed for VG juices and your using a PG juice, or vice versa.
How much power time is the chart assuming? Maybe your just not holding the fire button long enough, maybe the chart assumes a warmup time and not instant production. I can get vapor off a 20 gauge 0.14 ohm coil @ 20 watts, but I need to hold the fire button down for 10 seconds for it to warm up first.
What kind of gauge wire is it based around? This is probably the biggest thing. Thicker wire = longer heat up time before vapor production, or more power needed to heat it up just as fast as thinner wire. A 1.2 ohm coil made out of 26 gauge kanthal will need more power then a 1.2 ohm coil made out of 36 gauge kanthal to reach the same level of heat in the same amount of time (hence the power time mentioned above). The 26 gauge kanthal can also support higher wattages then the 36 gauge kanthal due to being a thicker wire. Might even need these higher watts to produce the same temp vape as the 36 due to being a larger wire.

According to that chart, I was running my nautiluses 'too hot' when I was using 12 watts.

Most charges aren't scientifically proven documents, they are just based around the personal experiences and opinions of one or more people.
A much more detailed and thorough explanation than I could share. Bravo!

VU Sponsors