Become a Patron!

Short timer with plenty of trouble!

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
I need a lot of help I think. I have been mixing for about a month and have only 1 that I got to work perfect, Cinnamon Chill. It seems the more I read the worse I get. First just a little of my background. I read about all the items I would need and watched a lot of U-Tube videos. So I purchased almost everything from Wizard Labs. Prior to finding this site I got a few recipes and mixed all those and only the Cinnamon Chill worked. I like Cherry flavor,Vanilla flavor, Custard flavor, Peppermint, Menthol,Cream and Chcolate to name a few favorites. I bought the flavorings they called for and by the brand that was listed. I measure everything with syringes and if there was anything else as far as steeping I did that also. So by this point in time I am pretty disgusted. Some of the flavors that are listed in recipes I have no idea what they are or should smell like or taste like , for instance Tiramisu! I am retired so I can work with this anytime but it bugs me to mix something and the result is nothing like the name of the recipe or the flavors. Sorry this turned into a short book but I didn't know any other way except to turn to the pros.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
with your flavors, you might want to start with a calculator..
you can imput what you have, nic, and what mg you expect..
you can adjust your pg/vg ratio too..

then I would recommend starting out with single flavors.. at 1-2% depending on brand you are using..
find your spot there.. recipes posted are done by people that perfer those flavors at those amounts, or..
they put amounts that might taste good at that level..

here is the calculator i like to use: http://www.vitalsparks.com/ez-mix.html

if you get lost, post back up :)

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The first thing I did wrong, was tried to get complex. The best tip I was given, was to start by making single or double flavor mixes. I might suggest trying to make a Cherry juice. Then, make a Vanilla Flavor, if thay work, try making a Cherry Vanilla and so on. Taste is subjective, so it will taste different to everyone out here. Make small batches to start with also, so you don't have a lot of juice on your hands that you wont vape...I made 500 ml my first go....by the time I got it to a point I liked, it had turned into 1000 ml LOL. Keep it Simple and most importantly, have fun. Keep it Foggy!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, I am pretty new to mixing juice myself.

One thing you may consider is making SMALL batches. 5 MIL batches.

Remember, everyone tastes differently. You may need to adjust flavors up and down, depending on how you perceive taste of juice.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need a lot of help I think. I have been mixing for about a month and have only 1 that I got to work perfect, Cinnamon Chill. It seems the more I read the worse I get. First just a little of my background. I read about all the items I would need and watched a lot of U-Tube videos. So I purchased almost everything from Wizard Labs. Prior to finding this site I got a few recipes and mixed all those and only the Cinnamon Chill worked. I like Cherry flavor,Vanilla flavor, Custard flavor, Peppermint, Menthol,Cream and Chcolate to name a few favorites. I bought the flavorings they called for and by the brand that was listed. I measure everything with syringes and if there was anything else as far as steeping I did that also. So by this point in time I am pretty disgusted. Some of the flavors that are listed in recipes I have no idea what they are or should smell like or taste like , for instance Tiramisu! I am retired so I can work with this anytime but it bugs me to mix something and the result is nothing like the name of the recipe or the flavors. Sorry this turned into a short book but I didn't know any other way except to turn to the pros.

I'm sorry you've had a rough start. But I will tell you that there are a lot of really bad recipes out there!! I honestly didn't make anything particularly good until I discovered @HeadInClouds recipes - there are a ton of those on this forum. He uses mainly Flavor Art flavors, and once I started working with those I had much more success.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty new and second the 1 and two flavor approach to begin with. With new flavors, for me, I mix a simple recipe I might like with three flavors but I also mix a batch of each of the flavors on it's own at recommended % for stand alone. For instance, for a simple two flavor raspberry cheesecake I mixed the recipe and I also made a batch of raspberry and a batch of cheescake. I tried the two standalones first, then the recipe with both.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

First of all, this is not your fault! I understand your disgust; I've been there, too. You aren't doing things wrong. It sounds very much like the too-common problem of bad flavorings and lousy recipes. Unfortunately, there's a massive oversupply of both on the web.

Starting with flavorings... Even on the manufacturers' websites, most are described vaguely, incorrectly, or not at all. That's why many DIYers say the first step is to try each flavor on its own, figure out what % you like, take notes on how it tastes to you. When I began doing that with my original collection of flavorings, I found few I really liked, and wildly varying percentages required to please me. I had at least 150 flavors before I got any by FlavourArt. By luck I liked all of the few I ordered (maybe 4-6), so I got more. I now have most of those and use them almost exclusively. I'd say I use 5% of all the other brands I've bought, 80-90% of my FlavourArt flavorings. They taste like they are named (just a few have weird names like Zen Garden and Oba Oba). I can use them all around the same percentage (well, 2-5% isn't a huge range). The fruits are all real fruit flavor, just what I expected. Trying to save those new to FA some headaches, I posted detailed descriptions of some FA flavorings over here: http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-reviews-flavorings-nic-base-suppliers.393/

Then the recipes, so many to choose from, so many places to find them. Everyone has different preferences, it's true, but there are just a lot of really bad recipes in circulation. There are also great ones! If you haven't tried all the flavors in a recipe, it's hard to know if you'll like it or not. A good tactic is to look for recipes with comments from people who have made it. Or find recipes using flavorings you know you like. Once you find a gem, look at who posted it and find more of theirs. Another totally different tactic is to mix little bottles of each flavoring you have and REALLY LIKE, just 1 flavor per bottle at your favored strength. You can use those just like they are or you can fill a new bottle by combining them. That makes it easy to get results you like.

You can make masterpieces! People here love to help. Maybe you want to list a few of your favorite flavors so far, ones you already have, so we can get to know your preferences.

acidrain23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
arrowcrest- I understand your frustration. Like you, I started out with a big order from Wizard Labs. Mostly TFA flavors. Most of those were duds, at least to my tastebuds. I was also mixing some of them way to strong, by following the "general guidelines". 12% TFA Banana Ripe? YACK 8% Maraschino Cherry??? Get ready to vape almond hand soap! (still cringe when I think of these first attempts). Also, all of the creams and sweet flavors pretty much make me want to hurl. That being said, some of TFA flavors are really really good (I'm a big fan of their green tea, juicy peach and honeysuckle) and your mileage may vary- we all have different taste buds!

Once I started branching out (picked up some Hangsen, Inawera, a few Flavourart), my mixes got way better. Still a lot of trial and error, more than I anticipated!

Discovering this forum has been a huge boon for my mixing, so much great advice here. Stick with it- you'll eventually get the results you are after!!!

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
with your flavors, you might want to start with a calculator..
you can imput what you have, nic, and what mg you expect..
you can adjust your pg/vg ratio too..

then I would recommend starting out with single flavors.. at 1-2% depending on brand you are using..
find your spot there.. recipes posted are done by people that perfer those flavors at those amounts, or..
they put amounts that might taste good at that level..

here is the calculator i like to use: http://www.vitalsparks.com/ez-mix.html

if you get lost, post back up :)
Sorry I forgot to mention I use e-juice-me-up

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
First of all, this is not your fault! I understand your disgust; I've been there, too. You aren't doing things wrong. It sounds very much like the too-common problem of bad flavorings and lousy recipes. Unfortunately, there's a massive oversupply of both on the web.

Starting with flavorings... Even on the manufacturers' websites, most are described vaguely, incorrectly, or not at all. That's why many DIYers say the first step is to try each flavor on its own, figure out what % you like, take notes on how it tastes to you. When I began doing that with my original collection of flavorings, I found few I really liked, and wildly varying percentages required to please me. I had at least 150 flavors before I got any by FlavourArt. By luck I liked all of the few I ordered (maybe 4-6), so I got more. I now have most of those and use them almost exclusively. I'd say I use 5% of all the other brands I've bought, 80-90% of my FlavourArt flavorings. They taste like they are named (just a few have weird names like Zen Garden and Oba Oba). I can use them all around the same percentage (well, 2-5% isn't a huge range). The fruits are all real fruit flavor, just what I expected. Trying to save those new to FA some headaches, I posted detailed descriptions of some FA flavorings over here: http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-reviews-flavorings-nic-base-suppliers.393/

Then the recipes, so many to choose from, so many places to find them. Everyone has different preferences, it's true, but there are just a lot of really bad recipes in circulation. There are also great ones! If you haven't tried all the flavors in a recipe, it's hard to know if you'll like it or not. A good tactic is to look for recipes with comments from people who have made it. Or find recipes using flavorings you know you like. Once you find a gem, look at who posted it and find more of theirs. Another totally different tactic is to mix little bottles of each flavoring you have and REALLY LIKE, just 1 flavor per bottle at your favored strength. You can use those just like they are or you can fill a new bottle by combining them. That makes it easy to get results you like.

You can make masterpieces! People here love to help. Maybe you want to list a few of your favorite flavors so far, ones you already have, so we can get to know your preferences.
Thanks for the input.It makes me have a better outlook. I did mention some flavors I like and one new question is if I buy Flavor Art I have gotten some from Wizard Labs that there name is the bold print and Flavor Art is small print on the side. Does this mean it is not true Flavor Art flavor?

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years

When I mix a stand alone flavor what should the starting PG/VG be 50/50? And should I mix in my nicotine level-8%?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I mix a stand alone flavor what should the starting PG/VG be 50/50? And should I mix in my nicotine level-8%?

You absolutely must use a calculator! 8% nicotine would be 80mg/ml - I doubt you mean that? LOL 50/50 is fairly standard. Once you know what you like you can adjust accordingly. But please use a calculator to be sure you get the right amount of nicotine - did you mean 8mg/ml?

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years

Where is the best place to buy Flavour Art flavorings , so I know I am getting the real one?

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
You absolutely must use a calculator! 8% nicotine would be 80mg/ml - I doubt you mean that? LOL 50/50 is fairly standard. Once you know what you like you can adjust accordingly. But please use a calculator to be sure you get the right amount of nicotine - did you mean 8mg/ml?
Oh yes-- and I use e-juice-me-up.

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years

One other thing , sometimes I see FA and they may mean Flavor Apprentice or Flavor Art , how can I tell?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One other thing , sometimes I see FA and they may mean Flavor Apprentice or Flavor Art , how can I tell?
FA is flavor art, TFA is the flavor apprentice. But sometimes people make mistakes, so if you're following someone's recipe you may have to double check. Generally FA is used at much lower percentges than TFA.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the input.It makes me have a better outlook. I did mention some flavors I like and one new question is if I buy Flavor Art I have gotten some from Wizard Labs that there name is the bold print and Flavor Art is small print on the side. Does this mean it is not true Flavor Art flavor?

Wizard Labs does not sell FlavourArt flavorings. That must be The Flavor Apprentice, which they do sell. (just in case someone else didn't already say so)

VU Sponsors