Become a Patron!

shaking nic base.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does everybody shake their nic base before mixing?

Okay, so I pulled my nic, Heartlandvapes 100mg in pg 1 liter, out of the freezer to mix and was immediately torn. Shake or not shake.

Shaking before use would seem to be the thing to do. But.......... Shaking would disperse O2 into it and speed up oxidation. Don't want to do that. My reading on nic suggests that it should disperse well and stay so the nic shouldn't settle and need to be shaken. But hell, I don't really know.

Shaking flavors is really no big deal. There isn't as much, cost less, and some would probably settle.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I debate this in my head alot. My method now for yhe moment is a quick swirl of the jar vs a shake

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it was Kevin from VT showed a pic of how vg separates from nic - pg not so much. You're supposed to shake the heck out of it so you don't end up with a weird concentration of nic. At least that's what I've always understood!

You should really break down that liter into smaller glass bottles for storage, so that the unused nic is disturbed as little as possible. I keep my working nic in 60ml bottles (glass).

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it was Kevin from VT showed a pic of how vg separates from nic - pg not so much. You're supposed to shake the heck out of it so you don't end up with a weird concentration of nic. At least that's what I've always understood!

You should really break down that liter into smaller glass bottles for storage, so that the unused nic is disturbed as little as possible. I keep my working nic in 60ml bottles (glass).

I remember those pics. It wasn't separation, it was nic sitting on top of vg after being poured in and not stirred yet.

I read that nic is miscible in water. I had to look that up. Miscibility is the property of substances to mix in all proportions, forming a homogenous solution.

If nic is homogenous in water, it should be homogenous in pg or vg and shouldn't need stirring.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've always shaken my nic before I split it up, because the label said to, then when I go to use a bottle from the split, I shake that, too. When I make my base, of course, I shake that up. I read that once you make your base, it's made. I do still swirl it around, like wllmc said. It's a good question, and I look forward to more responses.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember those pics. It wasn't separation, it was nic sitting on top of vg after being poured in and not stirred yet.

I read that nic is miscible in water. I had to look that up. Miscibility is the property of substances to mix in all proportions, forming a homogenous solution.

If nic is homogenous in water, it should be homogenous in pg or vg and shouldn't need stirring.
i think it was separation, could be wrong but that is why he started adding distilled water to the 100% vg nic

i shake my nic before use and so far have been too lazy to separate anything

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Those pictures were of pure nicotine before he mixes them im pretty sure. I think hr said at 100mg it will not separate or shoulfnt as bad. I know the more o2 you put in it however you go about it does more harm than good.at work so I don't have time to research it but im pretty sure what I have said is correct lol

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ok well you learn something new everyday lol i thought you were supposed to shake to avoid high concentrations of nic like amanda said

Vaperstek

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you hold your bottle up to the light, and you see "TRAILING LINES OF LIQUID" some even hair fine" it has separated some. but usually it is not an issue.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
If you hold your bottle up to the light, and you see "TRAILING LINES OF LIQUID" some even hair fine" it has separated some. but usually it is not an issue.
thanks for the advice. that useful info .

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hmmm I always shake every step of the way. when splitting nic into smaller bottles - then before I mix with flavor
and since I dont steep - my theory is shake to mix the flavors in - like a paint can at home depot :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Always shake, especially 100% vg nic bases..

just because a manufacturer mixes it, does not mean it's mixed..
it helps more than anything, and as far as oxidation.. only if you shake it when the cap is off..
and then you'd have a mess.. :p

Seanchai

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use vg based nic. I only shake the big bottles right before I break them down completely into smaller ones, Just to make sure everything is evenly dispersed across each smaller bottle. Each small bottle gets a cursory shake before I use it, but since I've never seen any swirly patterns in the smaller bottles, it's more habit than anything.Basically nothing gets a shake till I'm ready to use it. My smaller bottles are only 20ml, so I dispatch one every month or so, and thus I'm not worried about oxidization of the bottle I'm using too much.

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

it helps more than anything, and as far as oxidation.. only if you shake it when the cap is off..

I'm not worried about oxidation - most of my nic is used quickly enough

Can you do this when mixing ?

teaching_classes_2.jpg

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will always shake my nic before use ...... All things being equal.

Mine is in VG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I sure hope the manufacturer gets it mixed. If not, there would be no way to know what strength we are getting.

And with the cap on, there is O2 in the bottle. Dispersing it throughout the base in tiny bubbles does bring it in contact with the nic and does speed up oxidation.

Neither of these points are opinions. :)

VU Sponsors