Become a Patron!

Segelei Mod is tearing wrappers off batteries.

Blacksheepannie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can anyone offer a solution? I have a Segelei 100 watt box mod. Its about 2 months old. During this time I have had to replace batteries twice. I tried Mxjo batteries Efest and the vape shop guy always suggests $15 batteries. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Explain how the wrappers are getting damaged in it?
I have a 70w and the cradle the battery sits in is a tight fit, some of my other mods are like that too, I am just more careful removing the battery on those.
I have gotten a little damage on one battery because if the tight fit.

Blacksheepannie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well where the copper pins are on the left side i suppose its really a tight fit. The tops of batteries the plastic wrap starts peeling back when i change the batteries. Then the black washer on top of the battery comes off and i actually shorted one out it started smoking on me. It was really scary!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't use the mod then if you have possible short outs, no freaking way

Blacksheepannie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I'm afraid i bought the wrong one. I didnt see this in any reviews aboyt Segelei mods. Unfortunately i dont have very much cash to get another for a few months. I cant return it either. Im going to check out how to wrap batteries in the mean time

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The snug battery fit is a Sigelei thing, just comes with the territory. I have an OG 150, a 150w TC, and a Fuchai, and the batteries are a tight fit in all of them, the OG being the worst. It's just very important to position the ribbon behind the batteries where they'll be lifted from the tray straight out, not at one end, then put in the same way, not favoring one end of the battery. I've had to rewrap a couple of sets because of this.
Did the guys at your b&m sell you new batteries because of torn wraps? That's kinda lame on their part.

Blacksheepannie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes taking them out is easy I always use the ribbon thing. I have been putting them in angling the positive side first. Perhaps that is the problem. I threw away the one battery that smoked and have the other set of two that need wrapping. I did buy another set of 2. The B&M in my town is always trying to get $ outta me! This is a one horse town and they have no competition.

Blacksheepannie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's very nice of you! I can afford some wraps. We have the heat gun already. I didn't know they sold the little black insulators if they do, I'm golden. Its nice to know I'm not alone in this. You guys are awsome. Thanks for the help.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nope not alone my sonys are in a draw wanting some new dresses. THey long to power my LE80.
And you are semi local... well within the same state.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes taking them out is easy I always use the ribbon thing. I have been putting them in angling the positive side first. Perhaps that is the problem. I threw away the one battery that smoked and have the other set of two that need wrapping. I did buy another set of 2. The B&M in my town is always trying to get $ outta me! This is a one horse town and they have no competition.
For sure "throw out" any battery that becomes damaged, if you don't it'll only be further problems. By throw out I mean recycle though, and by damaged I mean like you said smoking, a damaged wrapper just means you set it aside till you can address the wrapper. Wraps are cheap if you went to the suggested links you can see ($2 or something for enough to wrap a few sets). Just re-wrap them. Big thing though, make sure you mark what they are so you don't use mix-matched batteries, keep the same types together.

I got 4 Samsungs that need re-wrapping and wraps that should arrive Friday.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have an iPV Mini that scored one of my brand new 25Rs pretty badly, so I gotta rewrap it -- when I unscrew the battery cap, at first the battery wouldn't drop out easily, so I pulled it out... I think that's what did it. Now, after I unscrew the cap, I just shake the mod a little until the battery drops out into my hand, or gently try revolving it around until it can drop easily.

Andria

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought it was for 6....but either way, 1.50 for 20 is a lot better. Truthfully, you could make your own for near nothing couldn't you?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought it was for 6....but either way, 1.50 for 20 is a lot better. Truthfully, you could make your own for near nothing couldn't you?
It is, and yes you could, but honestly it's the shipping cost that's more of the concern. Pocket change for these things is worth it, paying a couple bucks to ship them when they could go in an envelope with a 50cent stamp on it...

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
On my Sigelei 100W Plus, there are "moving"/spring loaded pins on the top (where the atty screws in). Put the batteries in, at those pins first. By doing so, you can push the battery onto that pin, giving you a bit wiggle room. Of course, watch for proper positioning of the battery's poles.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Think I'd rather drop the $2.50 at battwrap and have enough for quite a while (they are reuseable so you only need them if you can reuse the one already on your wrap damaged battery. Though in a pinch yeah might be a workable option, depends on how mad sciency you are.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes taking them out is easy I always use the ribbon thing. I have been putting them in angling the positive side first. Perhaps that is the problem.

That is the correct way.
Especially if the batteries are not over-wrapped on the NEG end.

Just an afterthought as to how you might protect the wrapper in your case.
You may have to use something like a plastic shoehorn to collapse the NEG side so you have room. Put the shoehorn in before pulling or pushing the batteries. The shoehorn would look like those tabs used when shipping a device with batteries in it, but you have to pull them out before use. You can cut a strip from an old plastic credit card that should be stiff and thin enough ( I use CC stock for a lot of different fixes). Use your thumb on the battery to slide the NEG end back on the spring so you can get some room to insert the plastic on the POS end to take them out. Just hold the plastic there when inserting then take out.

Look at how the negative end is a rounded button.
The POS end needs to be the same, and protrude less (dremel?).
If the dorks that designed it actually flipped the connectors around, it would work without damaging the cells as the POS end would collapse freeing the NEG end and and battery could be rotated out/flipped out from NEG end without hanging up on the wrapper. Sounds like a fix that could be done by someone w/ experience.

Keystone, other sleds and some chargers have the same issue. Below is a pic of a modified Keystone sled.
Note the dotted line. This is where the tang originally lay. It is pictured where it should be.
Original position it would hang up on wrapper.
The ellipsed area is critical. You can see how the tang has room to move past the plastic of the sled - the slot is wide enough to allow the tang to collapse a little without binding (not enough room to insert battery if tang could only move a little). This feature I have found to be unique to Keystone.

Attachments

• tang.jpg
    tang.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Slam it out. Use the mass of the battery + inertia to your advantage. It is what I always do.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The sammy tops were fine, I redid them in see through blue and they look slick.
The sonys are solid again, in see through purple.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fasttech sells the slightly heavier duty wraps. $1.80 or so for 50. They also sell the stick-on insulators for both flat top and button top cells.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've had my Sigelei 100 for over a year. Insert the battery both positive and negative sides at the same time. Make sure the battery is laying perfectly flat when inserting. Takes a little practice at first.

AzDoug

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Same as above. If you drop one end in first and push down the other end it'll tear the wrap.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Same as above. If you drop one end in first and push down the other end it'll tear the wrap.

My Sigelei miniBooks do that really badly, but elsewhere on the forum, someone shared a tip that finally allowed me to insert batteries in them without destroying the wrappers: either take the atty off completely, or loosen it drastically, so the 510 screw isn't pushing down on the 510 connection in the mod -- it's a godsend with my miniBooks.

Andria

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's all fine unless you have something like a VAPMOD Spartans.
It is a 3 cell mod where the first battery slides in past the edge of the housing.
No way to ensure of sliding it in straight.
You almost always risk tearing the wrap.
That is why I use an old credit card like @dr_rox mentions.
The design flaw in this was terrible.
But it looks good in my collection. lol

VU Sponsors