Become a Patron!

Save your mod and 510 threads!!!!! Nice item I just found!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ok so yeah... title pretty much says it all.
One of the problems with mods, especially with new vapers, is stripping the threads and over heating the mod. Even experienced vapers can over heat mods rather easily.
So... what to do?
1923808-3.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1923808
This is a neat little item.. A HEATSINK for mods! Should work great for Regulated, Mechanicals, and coil building decks. It should also help keep your battery cooler, since heat isn't being transferred from the coil as much!

I have one of these on order now. I will probably order some of the cheaper clones later, but I wanted the authentic to start out with and compare.

The idea here, for any that have never done any electronics work and don't know what a heat sink does.. is this.
It acts like the radiator on you car or motorcycle. It absorbs heat and spreads it out over a larger area to dissipate faster. The fins allow more air flow.. kind of like blowing on a spoonful of hot soup.

I found out the hard way.. heat will damage mods. If you keep firing at on hot (low ohm, coils) the atty and mod heat up, wires and chips melt, and dead mod. With mechanical mods, this will help prevent heat transfer to the battery from the atomizer. And we all know, cooler batteries are safer batteries. This is not a cure for stupidity mind you, if your build is bad you can still over heat the battery! This wont help with that. It will just help dissipate heat generated by your coils more efficiently.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok so yeah... title pretty much says it all.
One of the problems with mods, especially with new vapers, is stripping the threads and over heating the mod. Even experienced vapers can over heat mods rather easily.
So... what to do?
1923808-3.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1923808
This is a neat little item.. A HEATSINK for mods! Should work great for Regulated, Mechanicals, and coil building decks. It should also help keep your battery cooler, since heat isn't being transferred from the coil as much!

I have one of these on order now. I will probably order some of the cheaper clones later, but I wanted the authentic to start out with and compare.

The idea here, for any that have never done any electronics work and don't know what a heat sink does.. is this.
It acts like the radiator on you car or motorcycle. It absorbs heat and spreads it out over a larger area to dissipate faster. The fins allow more air flow.. kind of like blowing on a spoonful of hot soup.

I found out the hard way.. heat will damage mods. If you keep firing at on hot (low ohm, coils) the atty and mod heat up, wires and chips melt, and dead mod. With mechanical mods, this will help prevent heat transfer to the battery from the atomizer. And we all know, cooler batteries are safer batteries. This is not a cure for stupidity mind you, if your build is bad you can still over heat the battery! This wont help with that. It will just help dissipate heat generated by your coils more efficiently.

They also are a fantastic way to save your threads on your atties -- one of my Achilles' threads were getting so smooth, it wouldn't screw into several of my mods; someone PIFed me a couple of these heatsink thingies, and now I keep both my Achilles permanently mounted on them, to make sure they stay usable, since the Achilles isn't made anymore.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
They also are a fantastic way to save your threads on your atties -- one of my Achilles' threads were getting so smooth, it wouldn't screw into several of my mods; someone PIFed me a couple of these heatsink thingies, and now I keep both my Achilles permanently mounted on them, to make sure they stay usable, since the Achilles isn't made anymore.

Andria
Worse case, if your threads are stripped to badly.. you could have them "tapped". (just a fancy term for rethreaded) using a tap and die tool.
I doubt it would be as good at the original threading, but would be at least enough to let you use this heatsink. Better than tossing the mod at any rate. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Worse case, if your threads are stripped to badly.. you could have them "tapped". (just a fancy term for rethreaded) using a tap and die tool.
I doubt it would be as good at the original threading, but would be at least enough to let you use this heatsink. Better than tossing the mod at any rate. :)

None of my mods are stripped -- just the threads are wearing smooth on one of my 2 Achilles, which are no longer made. We got a "die" thingie, but it did no good.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well as long as the heat sink works, which it evidently does you're all set. I figured that heat sink will save my mod though, since they get pretty hot with a lot of my build. I have one ordered, but will probably order a 5 pack later and keep them right on my atomizers, like you do, to protect the threads.

Atholen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A good investment, I must say. Only problem is- they don't sell 24mm heatsinks. Only 22,23, and 25. And a 24 mm one, but it's made to fit around 23 mm devices.

My avocado 24 fits flush with the front face of my RX200s, so I'd rather not break that line. Suppose it could be sanded down, but SS is a pain to sand and file smooth in my experience. Unfortunatly, said Avocado gets nice and toasty with dual claptons.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A good investment, I must say. Only problem is- they don't sell 24mm heatsinks. Only 22,23, and 25. And a 24 mm one, but it's made to fit around 23 mm devices.

My avocado 24 fits flush with the front face of my RX200s, so I'd rather not break that line. Suppose it could be sanded down, but SS is a pain to sand and file smooth in my experience. Unfortunatly, said Avocado gets nice and toasty with dual claptons.
actually.. aside from looks.. the 25 prob is the best of them as far as heat sinking goes. More metal to absorb the heat. I thought about going with that one, but picked the 22 to start with. I figure, I'll keep this one on my mech, and get the 25s later for my regulated when I get it. (being shipped in the next couple days) I think, they also had some clones that were 24mm, I just didn't bother linking to them.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3023/10010809/3733502 seems like they are selling out.. gold ones are not in stock atm.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
actually.. aside from looks.. the 25 prob is the best of them as far as heat sinking goes. More metal to absorb the heat. I thought about going with that one, but picked the 22 to start with. I figure, I'll keep this one on my mech, and get the 25s later for my regulated when I get it. (being shipped in the next couple days) I think, they also had some clones that were 24mm, I just didn't bother linking to them.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3023/10010809/3733502 seems like they are selling out.. gold ones are not in stock atm.

I've heard some negative things about fast tech, but if you keep it simple, like wires, or coils, or like heat sinks, they seem to be fine and shipping is mostly free *except on some items*. Every item I ordered arrived exactly as advertised. I am nervous about their batteries, since they list a "pulse" rating on sony/lg/samsung and we already know, these companies do not use a pulse rating (because it is BS to begin with.. lol)

I have also heard the clones are more cheaply made than the authentic.. well duh! but $10 vs $60 and up.. what do ya want for $10 eh?

Atholen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The one you just linked, take a good look at it. It's made to have <23mm diameter tanks fit into it, not on it lol

And yeah, there're a few, just not as well machined. Supposed I could get a couple and chuck one in the lathe.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The one you just linked, take a good look at it. It's made to have <23mm diameter tanks fit into it, not on it lol

And yeah, there are a few, just not as well machined. Supposed I could get a couple and chuck one in the lathe.

Oh picky picky picky.. lol
Or go to the 23 or 25. 23 will only be out 1/2 mm on each end, and 25 will take the heat more.. but if you have the tools... you could make the 25 smaller... shave a bit off the edge.

Atholen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh picky picky picky.. lol
Or go to the 23 or 25. 23 will only be out 1/2 mm on each end, and 25 will take the heat more.. but if you have the tools... you could make the 25 smaller... shave a bit off the edge.
I ain't being picky on that one lol. Any wider tanks wouldn't screw in all the way :p

That being said yeah, 25 mm sink would be easy enough to pop on the lathe or drill and sand down.
I just find it a little odd maybe, 24mm devices aren't exactly rare beasts of late.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Dunno. I have a Limitless 24 waiting to be ordered. In my wishlist. Wish list is for when shinyitis overtakes your budget. Needed a 3 post rda for kissing coil builds. I tend to build 3.mm - 3.5mm. so a big deck helps.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
in some case with threading going smooth you have to fill the hole and retap it back to 510.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've heard some negative things about fast tech, but if you keep it simple, like wires, or coils, or like heat sinks, they seem to be fine and shipping is mostly free *except on some items*. Every item I ordered arrived exactly as advertised. I am nervous about their batteries, since they list a "pulse" rating on sony/lg/samsung and we already know, these companies do not use a pulse rating (because it is BS to begin with.. lol)

I have also heard the clones are more cheaply made than the authentic.. well duh! but $10 vs $60 and up.. what do ya want for $10 eh?

Don't use the free shipping, from FT... it'll take till sometime next year to get it -- seriously, it once took 43 days when I chose the free shipping.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
in some case with threading going smooth you have to fill the hole and retap it back to 510.

But if the threads on the atty go smooth, you're SOL! That is why I use a heatsink.

Andria

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But if the threads on the atty go smooth, you're SOL! That is why I use a heatsink.

Andria
with skill you could wield up the outer connection and die cut it to a 510 tricky and only possible if you have machining skills

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
with skill you could wield up the outer connection and die cut it to a 510 tricky and only possible if you have machining skills

I guess. We got a die that was the proper size for the male 510 threads, but that didn't work, since the smoothing of the threads actually made that male connector smaller. The heatsink was only fix that actually worked, and I really glad I got one before the threads smoothed any further, so at least it would screw into the heatsink.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Don't use the free shipping, from FT... it'll take till sometime next year to get it -- seriously, it once took 43 days when I chose the free shipping.

Andria
I'm in no hurry. Nothing I order is really time sensitive. It actually only took a few days, under a week, to reach canada post. No idea where it is now, CanPOO isn't tracking international now.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This looks interesting. Wish one was available in the country I reside in. I could order but the shipping would be expensive as hell!

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing new, I have 10 of them, I use a more expensive one made of 304 SS, made by Klutch.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
This looks interesting. Wish one was available in the country I reside in. I could order but the shipping would be expensive as hell!
I got mine from fasttech free shipping.. or maybe 69 cents. Can't remember.

@Vapin4Joy that one in the pic at the top is stainless steel. I linked the brand name one "Kepler", though there are clones available.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got mine from fasttech free shipping.. or maybe 69 cents. Can't remember.

@Vapin4Joy that one in the pic at the top is stainless steel. I linked the brand name one "Kepler", though there are clones available.

Both that were PIF'ed to me are by Kepler; they're outstanding!

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Both that were PIF'ed to me are by Kepler; they're outstanding!

Andria
Good to know. That's the one I ordered. I might try a couple clones, but will likely end up just sticking to the auth.

Nikodeemus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
These look awesome for the purpose of preserving the threads on a mod, however, stainless steel is a horrible thermal conductor and will not dissipate heat efficiently enough to be used as a heatsink. Aluminum or copper on the other hand..... I've been building and repairing PC's for over 20 years and have never seen SS used as a heatsink. Here are some made from aluminum and you get 3 for a lower price (better color matching and weigh next to nothing compared to SS). https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...10-heat-dissipation-heat-sink-for-atomizers-3
There is one downside, however...they are obviously a softer metal and will wear out quicker than SS if you frequently change atty's....but at less than a dollar each, the pros outweigh the cons.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've been using the e-cig adapter in my ijoy box as a heat sink. Atty goes in top, bottom goes into the 510 on mod, 'natch". seems to work well. It doesn't seem to affect resistance by any measurable amount. I think all 3 metal types have advantages, Stainless steel is stronger, but heats up slower and dissipates heat slower than copper or aluminum, and Cu and Al dissipate heat faster, but also transfer it faster to the mod and are softer. So I guess its just a matter of using these for a bit of extra protection for your mod but keeping an eye on heat at the same time.
Still waiting on my heatsinks, but even the thread adapter is a huge improvement on reducing heat from the atty to the mod.

VU Sponsors