Become a Patron!

SAFETY!!

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't think this can be stressed enough. We call them accidents for a reason... nobody meant for it to happen.

I have been into DIY for about 7 months now and I am always careful. I never have anything else going on when I mix and give it my undivided attention. Tonight it happened...

I got my first order of VT nicotine a couple of days ago and decided tonight was the night to give it a try. First I was making up 120 mls of base so I can just add flavors as I want to. I carefully measured and checked PG/VG/Water before placing in the bottle. Nic was last and everything else out of the way. Everything measured and checked and into the bottle. Bottle is capped, labeled, shaken and put away. I pour the remaining nicotine in a labeled bottle to freeze. This is when it happened. A little bit was on the side of the bottle so I got a paper towel to wipe it off. While cleaning up the bottle it slipped out of my hand. I am fine and all is ok but it happens so fast. It hit my leg on the way to the floor and I lost about 100mls. :( Of course I lost my shorts in a quickly fashion and headed for the shower. All is cleaned up now and no damage except the money I just poured out. Glad I got a bigger bottle and didn't waste it all!

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yea, me too. It was a shock because I am always so safety cautious.
It just goes to show it can happen at any time to anybody no matter how careful you are.
Just a reminder for us all.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Most definitely. A good reminder for everyone. I know it can be too easy to do something over and over, thinking you're "old hat" with it, but we really do need to heed those warnings.

I'm glad you posted and all turned out well.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LOL Yea. That was a big loss but I will be ordering more now.
I mixed 120 mls tonight total and still have 120 mls uncut left.
Since it is on sale now, I'll have to stock up!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
oh terrible I feel for you. at least your ok. I wonder if you vaped it if it would taste like tile now lol.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
My safety warning: using eye protection while mixing is not over-the-top. At least wear a pair of shades when you work with nic.

Snapping the lid on a dropper bottle with 100mg/ml nic, tiniest misty drop ever hit my eye - lesson learned, very painfully.

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, please if you do get high concentration nic on you.... wash with COLD water and soap, or cold water flush if in eyes. John at wizard labs told me a long time ago that hot water can speed absorbtion thru the skin because it opens pores up. Not a big deal if you are working with lower concentration nic but definitely something to do if its 100mg or higher... and yes it can be bought higher not that I would, or anyone should.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
my suggestion is..

always mix over a tray with edges.. at least a 3-6 inch high edge..
that way, any spills drops leaks etc, will hit the tray and hopefully minimize wasted areas..
it took me a bit to get used to it.. but it sure has helped me out.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LOL Yea. That was a big loss ................
Since it is on sale now, I'll have to stock up!

So you lost your shorts then you shirt....lol:D It is funny after the fact!

When I was in the dark room mixing chemicals for photography I always had on a rubber apron.

If your dealing with anything over 3% or 30mg/ml I would recommend adding a rubber or light weight plastic lab apron to the glasses and rubber gloves.

VU Sponsors