Become a Patron!

Rusty coils?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use or have any colored juices, and noticed my premade kanthal Clapton and 316L coils are looking rusty.
5e05987bc294947a8c73ee8bec652701.jpg

The single Clapton in the middle is newer but used. The SS coils I made are the single wide ones in the pic.

Are these all trash?
Last thing I want to do is vape some rust (hello lock jaw, and God knows what else).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why would you keep old coils?
Get a new coil use it until it's done then throw it away.
That's what I usually do but was just noticing these have all been used like 20 tops. Didn't take long to turn this color. Weird. Of course I'm not going to reuse them it just seems off to rust so quickly.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coils in the photo are trash.

Coils are not supposed to rust quickly unless they are made of low grade steel, low grade alloy or iron.

In general, the best way to figure out if a coil is gunky or rusty is to dry burn it, if it's gunky it will clean right off, if not it's trash.

Also if you wash coils in water and keep them wet they will eventually rust, even if they are made from the highest grade steel.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Why would you keep old coils?
Get a new coil use it until it's done then throw it away.

I used to do exactly the same thing. I think I even kept the oily tasting Craptons that my TF-RTA G2 came with. I don't know why. I'm getting better though. lol

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The coils in the photo are trash.

Coils are not supposed to rust quickly unless they are made of low grade steel, low grade alloy or iron.

In general, the best way to figure out if a coil is gunky or rusty is to dry burn it, if it's gunky it will clean right off, if not it's trash.

Also if you wash coils in water and keep them wet they will eventually rust, even if they are made from the highest grade steel.
good point
@CashNVape where did you but them from so I can avoid it?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
good point
@CashNVape where did you but them from so I can avoid it?
The flat coils in the pic I made with 316, the Claptons are the black and green 10 pack u can get off eBay for 6 shipped. As for the wire I have its made by cloud something I'll tell u when I get home.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got wire from them before and never had any issues with it rusting
I'm not a veteran when it comes to coils or building them. I probably did something stupid like rinse them with tap water and there is salt in our water turning the coils into rusty springs.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm not a veteran when it comes to coils or building them. I probably did something stupid like rinse them with tap water and there is salt in our water turning the coils into rusty springs.

I rinse and dry off my coils all the time after dry burning them without having an issue. unless you leave them wet overnight they really shouldn't rust

VU Sponsors