Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It used to be that I enjoyed the Holiday Season.

But it has been ruined for me by corporate America.

Here we are not even halfway through September and I am already seeing commercials for the Hallmark Channels starting the Xmas countdown this Tuesday the 15th!

Bah Humbug!

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very sad you feel that way. Merry christmas. Just looked, there aren't any Christmas movies lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I feel that Xmas should be a December only event.

A time for family and friends.

Not for retailers to beat us over the head with it for two plus months with Santa hawking sales long before the first snowflake hits the ground.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was at Kroger the other night. In their seasonal aisle, they were fully stocked for Halloween. The ends caps were full of Christmas items. I stood there for a second, SHOUTED, "Are you kidding me?!" My boyfriend looked at me like I was crazy, then peeked. He shook his head. We walked away after a few strange looks.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I always hear that Christmas is for kids. I totally understand that. I never noticed all this when I was a youngling.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Whats really sad is December 25th isn't even when Jesus was supposedly born but we celebrate it on a day the government chose for us to celebrate it.

In any sense, a day to spend with family and loved ones.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In the same spirit of UncleRJ's original post, I and my family made a decision last year not to patronize business that open up at 6-8pm on Thanksgiving Day for early black Friday sales. There has to be a limit on capitalism and a focus on family on Thanksgiving. Yesterday at the local meat market, there were signs up to purchase your Turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. At our local Costco they had endcaps setup for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas already. Every year retailers and business push back the dates for holiday preparation. I saw a huge amount of ads for back to school sales and merchandise starting the second week of July this year!

dannycarlisle18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I work in a very seasonal business, there's nothing we can do :(. We're pressured early to start gearing up for the holidays. Part of being in the rat race is buying into it and I agree, it sucks. It's just reality these days. Corporate America makes millions off of commercializing what was once a beautiful holiday.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, having a job in retail has pretty much ruined holidays for me, but Christmas is the absolute worst. I love what Christmas is supposed to be, but despise what it has become thanks to corporate greed.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Bullshit some places have a xmas section already up and running but they have it tucked in the back.
FUCK the holiday bullshit, fuck it right in the goat ass!! \
I have an epic off the deep end rant about the whole retail cluster of fuckery that is post labor day insanity.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Guys I feel your pain. I worked at wally werld for 10+ years, christmas was pretty much ruined for me in the late '90's...

-Kingboomer
It's even worse now that Black Friday has become Black Thursday and Friday. We can't even spend Thanksgiving day with our families now. I give Walmart maybe another two years and it will even be open on Christmas day. Anything to make a quick buck.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Guys I feel your pain. I worked at wally werld for 10+ years, christmas was pretty much ruined for me in the late '90's...

-Kingboomer
That was somewhat sane time.

About 2004-5 I noticed a DRASTIC plunge of basic human decency with "shoppers", bunch of fucking shuffling zombies with worse tudes than actual zombies. With zombies they just want to eat your fucking face. Holiday shoppers on the other hand are willing to trample, fight, stab, rob, beat, and or kill a motherfucker for a so called deal on cheap chinese shit.

It got so fucking bad the place when I left in 07 had the insanity inducing music so loud it was impossible to make sales. Been damned near 10 years out of there and I almost get violent when I hear that shit.

The only saving grace one store I worked in the owner put in this huge collection of xmas cds in various languages. After hearing jungle bell rock 5 times in three languages, customers complaining about the repeat crap we pulled em all. Put in our own and heavier stuff and the customers thanked us for not bending to the trend.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I feel that Xmas should be a December only event.

A time for family and friends.

Not for retailers to beat us over the head with it for two plus months with Santa hawking sales long before the first snowflake hits the ground.
AMEN TO THAT!

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't do much shopping, so the retail end is unknown to me. I have made traditions for the three holidays though.
Halloween, we host a small party where we sit in lawn chairs in the front yard and hand out candy. While drinking beer and wine. Lots of fun. Usually end up with about 20 people sitting out front. Everybody brings candy, so there's plenty to give out. Thanksgiving, we host a large family dinner, and a few friends. Usually end up with 40 to 50 people. Great time with a big dinner, games and at 6 we all go out for the house lighting. Great time, because we get to visit with a bunch of family, that we don't see very often.
Christmas, we wake early, open presents and then have small family dinner, about 20 people. These three occasions make me so grateful that I have family and love in my life. Any stress related with these events, goes away, when you feel blessed by your friends and family.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Don't do much shopping, so the retail end is unknown to me. I have made traditions for the three holidays though.
Halloween, we host a small party where we sit in lawn chairs in the front yard and hand out candy. While drinking beer and wine. Lots of fun. Usually end up with about 20 people sitting out front. Everybody brings candy, so there's plenty to give out. Thanksgiving, we host a large family dinner, and a few friends. Usually end up with 40 to 50 people. Great time with a big dinner, games and at 6 we all go out for the house lighting. Great time, because we get to visit with a bunch of family, that we don't see very often.
Christmas, we wake early, open presents and then have small family dinner, about 20 people. These three occasions make me so grateful that I have family and love in my life. Any stress related with these events, goes away, when you feel blessed by your friends and family.

This is what the holidays used to be like in America. Hold on to that as long as humanly possible Jim. That's special :)

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey since Christmas is right around the corner I got some fw candy cane....any recipes....

I'm running away while big nasty is throwing shit at me :)

I will post that December fucking first at least:)

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah Christmas is a child's thing, as an adult we don't give traditional gifts anymore, just novelty. Kids get the traditional gift because they get mad if you dont.

But yeah, it's probably a corporate thing.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
funny-gif-two-kinds-of-people-christmas-decorations.gif

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's all consumer driven. Consumers would rather spread out their Christmas shopping now...

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty interesting that not one person mentioned why Christmas is ruined! Is it ruined?
Not if the premise of Christmas is in your heart. Why would others actions ruin the birth of Christ for you?
something to think about.
Man, sometimes you impress me. Make up your mind.
Do you or do you not have moral values?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah Christmas is a child's thing, as an adult we don't give traditional gifts anymore, just novelty. Kids get the traditional gift because they get mad if you dont.

But yeah, it's probably a corporate thing.
What's an example of a traditional gift?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Toys.
In this case and in most now-a-days computers, ipods, ipads, iphones, anything I can't afford :)
I got Sandra a lot of Under Armour gear, as well as Victoria's Sectet goodies for her, Nikola, Lucie, Denisa , Janey and Pet'ulka...,

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A radio ad for Lexus or some other inverted-porcupine auto manufacturer started playing a week or so ago...some Christmas music starts, then cuts out and the announcer goes "Too early for you?" then launches into his sales pitch as the music starts back up. Lame.

I'm out of this mess until the weekend after Thanksgiving. If you're reading this after that date, may you and yours enjoy a blessed solstice!

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you all remember when the only thing we had to see what toys we wanted was the target or monkey wards toy catalogues??

How about why everything is ruined when we're older, easy, technology. We used to drive down the street and see say a Ferrari, my jaw would drop and I was so stoked, well now not so much, why? We see it all the time now everything is overload therefore making it boring. Like Christmas, I don't even see the spark in the kids eyes like I had on Christmas morning, it doesn't feel the same.

It's missing something like originality EVERYTHING is un original anymore and not fun.

Shoot, kids these days know how to work everything they are getting before they open it from you tube.

Where's the fun anymore!!!!!!! DAMMIT I think I just got depressed:(

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, and if we were lucky a stocking with an apple, orange. some nuts and maybe a candy cane in it.

VU Sponsors