Become a Patron!

Return of the SONY VTC-5 ?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which part of the part numbering on the case under the wrapper is a date code?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Which part of the part numbering on the case under the wrapper is a date code?

The 10 digit code under the "US18650VTC5" is where the date code is. The 6th digit is the year. It's a letter, A is 1992, B is 1993, and so on, and count from there, so ours say X which is 2015.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
recyclablepower got his Sony Vtc5's in didn't get many sets he said cause he wanted be sure they were real and they are in fact real check out his Ebay listing if you want some he also has those new LG HG2 3000mAh 20 amp batteries. I bought a set of each and 2 sets of the LG HE2's for $10 a set, VaporJoes pimped that deal a week ago.

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am going to build a 24Volt battery pack for an E Bike. 18650's work well. Since you have the information I don't have, can I Please have some. 250w front wheel on a 26" trike. Beer run express. Throw Ideas My way. :cool:

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if youre using regulated device chances are you dont need 30 amp cells anyway. Sony batts are for unrelugated super sub ohm vaping if youre not doing that you dont need sonys youre good with 20 amp cells. Thats why some of these guys saying they prefer cells over sony obviously 2100 or 1600 mah wont last as long as 2500 or 3000 mah i got a couple of he2 i used to use for things like rdna40 and i could probly get away with using em on hexohm but i dont see myself rockin a mech with those. Vtc4 for the win.

~72 watts per 20 amp cell. ~105 watts per 30 amp cell. IE 200 watt 2 cell box mods need 30 amp cells. 150 watt can just barely do with 20 amp cells . If you use a 200 watt box @ 120 watts, you are also in that case good with 20 amp cells...

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
~72 watts per 20 amp cell. ~105 watts per 30 amp cell. IE 200 watt 2 cell box mods need 30 amp cells. 150 watt can just barely do with 20 amp cells . If you use a 200 watt box @ 120 watts, you are also in that case good with 20 amp cells...

Very true.

The only way around it if you don't have cells with a high enough drain would be to change them out before the cell voltage drops below the point that you'd be exceeding their amp limit.

Not ideal though.

I guess this is why The DNA 200 requires either a lipo or three 18650. Only way really to supply enough juice for a stable 200W.

I understand ohms law, and I have an SX Mini M class on which I'm mostly using pre-built 0.15 ohm ni-200 coils running at 25 Joules and 425F. When im hitting this, the voltage never goes above 3.10 or so before the temp control starts limiting the voltage. So when I enter 3.1V and 0.15 Ohms into http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator I get 20.667 Amps. I'm using HE2's and 25R batteries. That ok? Or do you guys recommend something different?

I also built a 0.065 ohm ni-200 on an RDA. I assume I'd need a 30A battery for that, safely?

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are 2 sides to the equation. 3.1 volts is less than the battery voltage(atty side), so less battery (battery side) current. Using your numbers on the ATTY side, we have 64.0667 watts. Using 3.6 for the voltage under load (a low guess) I get 17.7963 amps. We would also expect to loose some power to the regulator. So I'm guessing 18.something amps, realistically from the battery. As you also said temp regulation kicks in and drops the output, so this would be a short pulse, and the worst case.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
order placed i will indeed compare to the legits i have from back in the day
well after removing the sticker there is one glaring difference.
i can see and that is the text on the cell is darker than even my vtc4's and 5 that i have.
the text was covered by a sticker and the print is not uniformly straight. the printed text is also more reduced in size.
with my old one the text reads. SE US18650VTC5
on the new one it reads SE US18650VCT5 C5
the next line reads on my old one T C5A1XWA26K
with the new one it reads G 1898364XG24E.
My Snapshot.jpg My Snapshot_1.jpg

the older cell is left as you look down.

i will also link http://vapingunderground.com/threads/buyer-beware-sony-vtc4-and-vtc5.62242/

you can tell the wrapper is a different shade of green, a set is charging now so i can compare the performance. each one arrived at or near 3.55 V will report further anything else i find

Last edited:

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@lordmage They do take a couple cycles to fully break in too so keep that in mind. The print has changed a little since the production a year or two ago but it still matches the spec. Will be good to see your thoughts, what are you using them in?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The VTC5's have been back for awhile if this means old stock or actually means Sony is producing them is anyone's guess. I have tons of these batteries they do not last as slong as the newer HE2's and are overkill IMHO for regulated devices but I prefer them due to a sickness

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The VTC5's have been back for awhile if this means old stock or actually means Sony is producing them is anyone's guess. I have tons of these batteries they do not last as slong as the newer HE2's and are overkill IMHO for regulated devices but I prefer them due to a sickness

Our stock is not old, the manufacturing date codes are current. So that rumor is definitely not true.

http://liionwholesale.com/blogs/rev...d-proof-we-sell-authentic-sony-vtc5-batteries

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Our stock is not old, the manufacturing date codes are current. So that rumor is definitely not true.

http://liionwholesale.com/blogs/rev...d-proof-we-sell-authentic-sony-vtc5-batteries
I was not replying to your stock but have had my suspicions for along time that Sony never stopped producing these batteries I never believed they did.. My belief is they wanted to distance themselves from the use of the VT series with a Unintended no OEM use.. however, it does seem that no one really has the type of networking required with Sony to prove this or not..

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was not replying to your stock but have had my suspicions for along time that Sony never stopped producing these batteries I never believed they did.. My belief is they wanted to distance themselves from the use of the VT series with a Unintended no OEM use.. however, it does seem that no one really has the type of networking required with Sony to prove this or not..

Understood, only reason I mentioned it was because if my stock is current, that means Sony is producing them.

I don't think they stopped producing them either, they just were able to produce so few that only OEM customers got them since they weren't able to keep up with OEM demand so of course there's no way they'd get to non-OEM customers. But yes this is impossible to verify.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Understood, only reason I mentioned it was because if my stock is current, that means Sony is producing them.

I don't think they stopped producing them either, they just were able to produce so few that only OEM customers got them since they weren't able to keep up with OEM demand so of course there's no way they'd get to non-OEM customers. But yes this is impossible to verify.
Finally someone that agrees with me .. Yay !! :)

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@lordmage They do take a couple cycles to fully break in too so keep that in mind. The print has changed a little since the production a year or two ago but it still matches the spec. Will be good to see your thoughts, what are you using them in?
well i plan to use them in many devices from my wismex rx200 and ipv4s and going to give one to a mech user to compare to his vtc5 experience. of course they will go in next cycle around. i charge at 500ma for better cell life.

VU Sponsors