Become a Patron!

Report Bugs here (New thread)

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For shits and grins, I just enabled emails. For me anyway, emails are working. I just got several for a watched thread. I will leave it enabled all day and be irritated with amount of emails I will be receiving just to see.

@2WhiteWolves and @5150sick there are several places you need to have enabled in your account settings. The first is on the Account Details and the second is on Preferences. Have you tried turning them off and hitting save, then turning them on and hitting save? Are you using a computer or a phone? I'm using a computer
So strange and funny. For the two people who want to get emails are unable and those who don't the emails work :teehee:

Thank you, Gopher. Yes, tried what you said several several several times on computer and phone. I'll retry and add in deleting bookmark.

Hey, how about creating a temporary account and see if I'd get a confirmation email this way. As Gopher said for shits and grins to see if it would work. What do you think @5150sick , could we give it a whirl? Could always delete the new account.

@gopher_byrd may I ask what email provider you are using, like yahoo, outlook, Gmail, Firefox, not an actual email address. Same with you @5150sick . There has to be something in common that isn't allowing us to get the emails.

IDK :gaah:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So strange and funny. For the two people who want to get emails are unable and those who don't the emails work :teehee:

Thank you, Gopher. Yes, tried what you said several several several times on computer and phone. I'll retry and add in deleting bookmark.

Hey, how about creating a temporary account and see if I'd get a confirmation email this way. As Gopher said for shits and grins to see if it would work. What do you think @5150sick , could we give it a whirl? Could always delete the new account.

@gopher_byrd may I ask what email provider you are using, like yahoo, outlook, Gmail, Firefox, not an actual email address. Same with you @5150sick . There has to be something in common that isn't allowing us to get the emails.

IDK :gaah:
This is a long shot, but try it just for shits and giggles. Go into any thread you are currently following, scroll up to the top. There should be a button that says Unwatch. Click that, then leave the thread, go back into it, and this time the button will say watch, click it and it will pop up a box where you can choose 'And receive email notifications' then click the watch button in that box. Then see if you start getting emails for that thread. Maybe worth a shot?

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is a long shot, but try it just for shits and giggles. Go into any thread you are currently following, scroll up to the top. There should be a button that says Unwatch. Click that, then leave the thread, go back into it, and this time the button will say watch, click it and it will pop up a box where you can choose 'And receive email notifications' then click the watch button in that box. Then see if you start getting emails for that thread. Maybe worth a shot?
Thank you, Kadly. Yup been there done that several times over, lol. I'll give it another go, but not till I'm on the computer....on phone right now.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm using my yahoo account for VU mail.

And now I'm trying desperately to stop the emails... šŸ¤£

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another long shot and not meant to question anyone's intelligence, have you checked your spam folders... gmail will show numbers of spam in their web app so I know when I get a spam mail. However, yahoo doesn't show numbers so I have to click it to see any spam I have there and I don't always remember to check spam there. I just checked my yahoo spam folder and found a VU notification there.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another long shot and not meant to question anyone's intelligence, have you checked your spam folders... gmail will show numbers of spam in their web app so I know when I get a spam mail. However, yahoo doesn't show numbers so I have to click it to see any spam I have there and I don't always remember to check spam there. I just checked my yahoo spam folder and found a VU notification there.
Yeah, check in spam folder everyday, nothing in there except other emails I don't want, lol. Thanks Gopher!
Also, did the uncheck save go to another page go back check back on to receive email alerts save go to anther page log out login clear history clear cache. I'm bout to create another account and see what happens....that is if VU will let me, lol, seems how I'll still have the same IP.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, check in spam folder everyday, nothing in there except other emails I don't want, lol. Thanks Gopher!
Also, did the uncheck save go to another page go back check back on to receive email alerts save go to anther page log out login clear history clear cache. I'm bout to create another account and see what happens....that is if VU will let me, lol, seems how I'll still have the same IP.
Sent you a PM @2WhiteWolves

DPLongo22

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stopped receiving all notifications a semi-short while back, and my settings are correct to receive. No threads and no PMs. Zip, nada, zilch.

I figured between that and the expired security certificate, that's been the case for at least a year now, that maybe the forum is self-sustaining at this point.

I have NO IDEA if that's the case, but updating a cert is a light lift, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I just make sure to bop in every once in a while now, knowing I won't receive emails.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, here are my findings from a test I preformed last night.....
I went ahead and created a new account AmberEyesWolfie, first I used the email client of Google so a Gmail address. I resent the confirmation email from VU over 5 times and did NOT RECEIVE one of the confirmation emails.
Deecided to change email client to Yahoo, push the send confirmation email and yup first send received the confirmation email !
So, my findings shows Gmail is blocked or is blocking VU emails......Gmail is playing dirty with me and my VU email alerts/notifications :cuss2: :cuss:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, here are my findings from a test I preformed last night.....
I went ahead and created a new account AmberEyesWolfie, first I used the email client of Google so a Gmail address. I resent the confirmation email from VU over 5 times and did NOT RECEIVE one of the confirmation emails.
Deecided to change email client to Yahoo, push the send confirmation email and yup first send received the confirmation email !
So, my findings shows Gmail is blocked or is blocking VU emails......Gmail is playing dirty with me and my VU email alerts/notifications :cuss2: :cuss:
Dang it, can't edit post grrr....
Going to change email address on this account and hopefully I'll receive the email confirmation and be able to login with 2WhiteWolves, if not, I guess I will start to become AmberEyesWolfie.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well at least now you know what the problem is and can fix it, but shame on Google if they are actively blocking emails from this domain.:mad:
It would not surprise me that Google would block something vaping related. We are all bad boys and girls here in the eyes of the powers that be... :cuss2: :cuss:

Yup, and I just confirmed my new email address with this 2WhiteWolves, so YEY I'm still 2WhiteWolves, lol. And, I'll start receiving VU alerts/notification emails :bliss:
Yay! Wolfie gets to stay Wolfie!!!

DPLongo22

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would not surprise me that Google would block something vaping related. We are all bad boys and girls here in the eyes of the powers that be... :cuss2: :cuss:

Yay! Wolfie gets to stay Wolfie!!!

Considering the tons of email I get from vape-related sites, I'm guessing it's more related to the security certificate than the topic.

I wish they'd block some OTHER shit though. ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is utter shite....

More bots on here than actual users and this is what I get on 100M, 9ms Cable internet at 1AM PST?

DQYMBBmh.png

oiCRrwQh.png

Irony: I use Cloudflare myself for one of my DNS resolvers...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Considering the tons of email I get from vape-related sites, I'm guessing it's more related to the security certificate than the topic.

I wish they'd block some OTHER shit though. ;)
Block it yourself, I do.... uBlock Origin and NoScript.

xnctCNv.png

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is utter shite....

More bots on here than actual users and this is what I get on 100M, 9ms Cable internet at 1AM PST?

DQYMBBmh.png

oiCRrwQh.png

Irony: I use Cloudflare myself for one of my DNS resolvers...
Good lord, some of those hops took insane amounts of time, over 2000ms? WTF?

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know of slow forum is due to a "bug" or offshore server, but...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I get logged out of VU often and sometimes it is even worse after a restart of Browser or the PC/Laptop.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I get logged out of VU often and sometimes it is even worse after a restart of Browser or the PC/Laptop.

I only get logged out I clear cookies, which is what's supposed to happen. But I don't recall getting logged out for no reason.

My main aggravating issue is not being able to get email notifications when I get a PM, even though my settings are right. I'm not the only one with that problem.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only get logged out I clear cookies, which is what's supposed to happen. But I don't recall getting logged out for no reason.

My main aggravating issue is not being able to get email notifications when I get a PM, even though my settings are right. I'm not the only one with that problem.

Sometimes when I close all tabs using Firefox when I Restore the Session I will go to post and I have to login again. Doesn't always happen but it does.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes when I close all tabs using Firefox when I Restore the Session I will go to post and I have to login again. Doesn't always happen but it does.

FF has a setting for "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed". I know you said it doesn't happen all the time but check that setting if you haven't already. Just do a search for "clear" in FF settings.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

FWIW...

1. I have FF set to always clear cache and cookies on exit. I often clear them often manually as well during the day...streaming sites tend to like that.

2. I don't use sessions or saved tab stuff.

3. I always logout after I'm done posting.

4. I have noticed, it seems a bit faster using my phone than the browser...but I don't like the interface much on there. Never used Tapatalk.

5. VU is noticeable faster using a VPN not from the USA....although just now, it loaded just fine in FF. No idea where it's actually located as it's behind Cloudflare servers. Last time they moved the server hosting, it was mentioned, but that was years ago.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
FF has a setting for "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed". I know you said it doesn't happen all the time but check that setting if you haven't already. Just do a search for "clear" in FF settings.

Nope that is not enabled because I like to just go to many sites without having to Login~! No security Issues just sites for BS Purposes~!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ATM, using a Japanese VPN connection at 0245 PST, with FF on Linux.

It's very fast now... ;-)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Addendum..I'm streaming 720p video at the same time.

Use the Internet, don't let it use joo... ;)

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU's very fast for me today. I don't use a VPN. My ISP bill is more than I want to spend as it is and free VPNs aren't worth using. I've tried Opera browser because it has free VPN access, but it's such a hog of an application.

I'll just deal. I only posted here because I was told/asked to.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cloudflare has got to go. It is making this forum unusable.

This has been the routine lately: I try a bunch of times to get on, and every time it says "Loading..." forever and ever, and then what loads is the Cloudflare page, which says:

Web server is returning an unknown error

There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

If you are a visitor of this website:
Please try again in a few minutes.

If you are the owner of this website:
There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). Additional troubleshooting resources.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 855a5565aacc1454 ā€¢ Your IP: Click to reveal ā€¢ Performance & security by Cloudflare

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@Bliss Doubt It's not Cloudflare - it's the actual webhost that the VU software is sitting on. Cloudflare is just a CDN used for security. It works just fine on every other site I go to, including my own forum that uses the exact same software as VU does.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It has to go. It is ruining this website. You can see others complaining about it in this thread.
No, you don't get it. Cloudflare IS NOT THE PROBLEM. It's just REPORTING the problem. The problem is with the offshore webhost that Joe decided to use. I owned a web design company for 3 years - I kinda know what I'm talking about. Click on The Guitar Forum link in my sig - it's running the same software/Cloudflare setup that VU is, only mine is hosted with a much better company.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's not cloudflare. It the server this forum is hosted on and likely misconfigurations in many places.

Just becuse you are getting errors from cloudflare (I have), it does not mean cloudflare is the issue.

When you have a headache, it does not mean something is wrong with your head 99.9% of the time.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Bliss Doubt It's not Cloudflare...It works just fine on every other site I go to, including my own forum that uses the exact same software as VU does.

Yup, most websites use cloudflare and few use other CDNs, yet no problems. Cloudflare misbehaves when the website and/or server isn't working right or has imporoper configs. Not cloudflare's problem. Cloudflare's just letting you know it can;t work properly.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If this forum didn't use cloudflare, it would be attacked to the point where it would be 100% inaccessible. At least with cloudflare it's 78% accessible :D. The rest is up to the site owner/administrator.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, you don't get it. Cloudflare IS NOT THE PROBLEM. It's just REPORTING the problem. The problem is with the offshore webhost that Joe decided to use. I owned a web design company for 3 years - I kinda know what I'm talking about. Click on The Guitar Forum link in my sig - it's running the same software/Cloudflare setup that VU is, only mine is hosted with a much better company.

Look, I may not know the dynamics of it, or the road in or out of it, but this is a Cloudflare issue.

I was one of those 639 people who griped to TrustPilot about Cloudflare. It was making VU unusable, as well as a news site I read. Cloudflare responded, and Trustpilot said I had to prove it or they would remove my rating. I sent screen shots, and TrustPilot monitored all the back & forth. In the end Cloudflare said it was my problem, that the sites were giving me trouble because they didn't want me on them. Oh really, I replied to them, even a site where I have a log-in, visit almost daily, and am considered a bronze contributor?

My rating stood.

How do big websites with countless users around the world operate without getting attacked to death, without Cloudflare getting between them and their users? Cloudflare is asswipe, and is causing the problems on VU.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Look, I may not know the dynamics of it, or the road in or out of it, but this is a Cloudflare issue.

I was one of those 639 people who griped to TrustPilot about Cloudflare. It was making VU unusable, as well as a news site I read. Cloudflare responded, and Trustpilot said I had to prove it or they would remove my rating. I sent screen shots, and TrustPilot monitored all the back & forth. In the end Cloudflare said it was my problem, that the sites were giving me trouble because they didn't want me on them. Oh really, I replied to them, even a site where I have a log-in, visit almost daily, and am considered a bronze contributor?

My rating stood.

How do big websites with countless users around the world operate without getting attacked to death, without Cloudflare getting between them and their users? Cloudflare is asswipe, and is causing the problems on VU.
Okay, let me put it in another way that you'll understand - you're a fucking idiot.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Look, I may not know the dynamics of it, or the road in or out of it...

Yet here you are trying to give technical advice based on reviews of a service provider you obviously have some beef with, and the review site only gives you some ammunition. That's not how tech issues get resolved. Tech is technical and not based on feels.

How do big websites with countless users around the world operate without getting attacked to death, without Cloudflare

They don't, you just think they do in order have something to support your overly-simplified theory that cloudflare is VU's problem. Indeed, Cloudflare is likely saving VU from going under completely, from a tech standpoint. All the medium and large websites use a CDN be it Cloudflare, some other company or in-house. Hell, even small websites use a CDN today, as it is included in many cheap webhosting plans, and it is usually cloudflare. Not a problem if hte server is healthy and "well-oiled".

And the "other" 2 vape large forums use Cloudflare, yet they have no issues. Why is that do you suppose?

As I said before...

When you have a headache, it does not mean something is wrong with your head 99.9% of the time.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is crazy, something needs to be done no matter what it is. I see people leavin and others that just don't care to post because it's so messed up, ever wonder why you don't see some members anymore

VU Sponsors