Become a Patron!

Replacing Deck Screws In A Russian Clone.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have had a Russian 91% clone that I won quite awhile ago floating around my vape den.

And I am not quite sure where it came from.

I found it about a week ago and decided to give it a go.

I did all the right things.

Took it apart, soaked all the parts (except the plastic tank section) in vinegar, soaked and rinsed and dried.

So far, so good.

I wrapped a coil and went to attach it under the screws and then things went south.

The wire just would not catch under the screws. Turned out that heads of the screws where sligtly rounded on the bottom and would push the wire out when they were tightened.

So I bough some of these.

http://kidneypuncher.com/spare-kayfun-deck-screws-flat-head-5-pack/

Keep in mind that I am a big guy (not fat but just big and clumsy) and have huge fingers (AKA Meat Hooks) at the ends of my hands.

Removing the bad screws was easy. Putting in the new ones was a freaking nightmare!

I did it by pinching the head of the screw between thumb and forefinger, getting it into the correct position and rotating the deck enough to get the screw started and then used a screwdriver to do the rest.

While I do realize that I paid almost $6 for 5 little tiny screws including $&H I gotta say these things are the best!

The heads are much bigger than you get for any deck screw that I have ever seen and it is super easy to get your leads/leggs under them.

I think the size is M1.6 X 3mm ?

If anyone here can give me a link to purchase something like these for less in a greater quantity please speak out!

Also, at the moment I am looking around the house and garage for some kind of magnet so I can magnetize my favorite screwdriver.

And as a word of warning, if you decide you ever need to replace your deck screws, do it over a towell or something with a bit of texture to catch the tiny screws when you drop them. A very bright light is also recommended!

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good to know about the larger screw head.
I've been looking for those for my Lemo.
Yes, magnetic screw driver is your friend! (and I have skinny old fingers)
Am also interested in a cheaper source.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Good to know about the larger screw head.
I've been looking for those for my Lemo.
Yes, magnetic screw driver is your friend! (and I have skinny old fingers)
Am also interested in a cheaper source.

Willing to trade fingers?

While I know that Kayfun and Russian screws are interchangeable, not at all sure about the Lemo screws.

But somehow I kinda suspect that they may be the same?

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL, you may want skinny, but not old.
Yes, M1.6 X 3mm stainless will work for the Lemo.
Try a google search for that size.
The shipping is what gets you...

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
LOL, you may want skinny, but not old.
Yes, M1.6 X 3mm stainless will work for the Lemo.
Try a google search for that size.
The shipping is what gets you...

Still willing to trade OLD FAT FINGERS for SKINNY FAT FINGERS!

Santa was in my high school graduating class after all!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
check out fatdaddy. He's on ebay, I think he has a web store now. He's has all kinds of replacement parts for attys and mods.

I've got a few flat ss washers for the m1.6x3, don't know where I got em, but I've used them on on of my clones that had rounded head screws.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
fatdaddyvapes also sells knurled thumb screws as well as a few different sized washers.

VU Sponsors