Become a Patron!

Replacement of coils too frequent

Hi, I'm fairly new to all this. I have a little vape pen that the guy at our local carryout recommended. We live in a rural area so no vape stores. Anyway I have to change the bottom dual coils a lot--maybe 2 or so times a week. Recently I read that I shouldn't need to change them but every 3 weeks or so. I change when the vape produced is significantly decreased. So, is there a way to clean the coils so that I can get more life out of them? This is getting expensive. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20151122_142350.jpg
    20151122_142350.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 31

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cleaning the disposable coils is 50/50 that they will work again after cleaning, after they get wet from the cleaning, Have you looked into maybe upgrading your set up with something that powers the newer coils?
Hi and welcome to VU:)

Well, I guess not. Our selection here is very limited. But, I could buy from the Internet. Do you have a suggestion?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
... I could buy from the Internet. Do you have a suggestion?
Oh my...

:)

You can get plenty of suggestions. Problem is: Which is the right one for you? You could start by telling us how you vape, how often you vape, and what you vape.

Oh yeah: And a hearty Welcome to VU!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are so many kits now available:) I am sure the members will come by to welcome you and give some great suggestions:):)

Thank you!
Well, I wasn't a smoker before, but one of my friends started vaping and I thought it was fun. It's become an enjoyable habit for several months now. I'm a housewife with a bunch of kids, so I wouldn't want something big or fancy; I think that would just be silly for me (and make me the subject of fun-making from other housewife friends) I use oil from our carryout: Ecto Fire and Ice, and Juicy Vanilla ice, both 12mg.

Well, because that's what my friend was using, so I just bought what she uses.

And, I had no idea it's not oil! What is it then??

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What you're using is eliquid. It's made up of propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) and concentrated flavorings. And, of course, liquid nicotine.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Ditch the nIc now before you get addicted!

Can't help but ask, if you friends thought it looked cool to jump off a freaking bridge, would you get in line as well knowing it was a one way ticket?

If you gotta look coll and need vaping to do it, fine.

But why the nicotine which you should know is an addictive substance!

Go with 0% nic if you gotta look cool.

Vaping is still a bazillion times safer than smoking but not as good as plain old fresh air!

No. It wasn't the coolness factor, though I do look pretty awesome doing it, but I'm too old to be chasing after that train; it left the station decades ago. I DID smoke in college, and enjoyed having the habit. And when I started having kids I quit, cold turkey, without any problem whatsoever. Over the years I'll have a cigarette or two with friends while having drinks, but never wanted to restart. But when I was introduced to vaping I thought it'd fun to pick up something like it again. I'm still glad it did. If the 12 MG is very addictive, it's probably too late to back down. I've been doing this for a few months now.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nicotine has positive health benefits, so I'd stay with 12mg . Are you using dark e-liquids? They can gunk up wicks/coils pretty quick...

Yes. One of the one I use is amber colored.
I'm glad you mentioned the health benefits of nicotine. That's another reason I took up the habit.

drew83

Member For 4 Years
That looks like my old set up. Aspire et tank, bdc coils 1.9 ohm and around 900mah battery. I have found that the dark liquids ruin coils. Stick with clear ones.

I changed to a eleaf istick 40w using the gs tank with ni200 coils 0.15ohm. Never looked back!

Its great, not to big/bulky.

You can get them online pretty cheap. Look them up.

As for the op, i was going through 2/3 coils a weak as they were getting gunked.

I found that if you take the coil off the tank, re screw the coil to the battery and (pointing the device away from you) press the fire button for a few seconds at a time. It burns off excess liquid. You can then put it all back together, and should find the coils last a little longer.

Also, dont stand the device on end for long periods. Lay it down so the coils dont get constantly saturated.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is terrific advice. I already did the burn off trick. Thanks! I also started googling around for the eleaf istick. It does seem like, in the long run, it would be less expensive than going through coils 2x's per week.

Will I have to learn maintenance on this device? Are there things to change, other than battery?

Thank you again Drew83!

drew83

Member For 4 Years
I have been using the istick for about a month. Came with 2 0.15 ohm coils which i use in the tc mode. Vaping at around 520-560 *F. Working well with any juice i put in there.

The gs tank may not be the best around but paired with the istick its good.

As for maintenance, not really. I am still on the 1st coil. Still burning well after a month of daily use.

I will change it this weekend as i am getting new desert juice tomorrow, but will keep this coil for now in case I switch back to fruity juices.

The coils are easy to replace. So far it has just been a case of charging it up and filling the tank.

The battery lasts me just over a day and the 3ml tank is just enough to get me from 7am to 9pm.

I am not saying the istick is the best out there, but if you can get a shop to let u try it with the gs tank you can see if you like it.

I tried a mates for a few days as he switched to the 100w istick so used his old back up 40w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, I'm fairly new to all this. I have a little vape pen that the guy at our local carryout recommended. We live in a rural area so no vape stores. Anyway I have to change the bottom dual coils a lot--maybe 2 or so times a week. Recently I read that I shouldn't need to change them but every 3 weeks or so. I change when the vape produced is significantly decreased. So, is there a way to clean the coils so that I can get more life out of them? This is getting expensive. Thanks so much!
I used to run my coils under hot water and put them under a incandescent light bulb to dry them out or let them sit over night. Others soak them in alcohol before rinsing them. It's 50/50 weather it helps but you got nothing to lose by trying.

VU Sponsors