Become a Patron!

"Recycling" burned out SMOK coils

Do you ever clean out your burnt out factory coils to use again?

• Total voters

dunemachine

Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, so I thought I'd share on a little trick I learned for squeezing more life out of my factory Dual Clapton cores in my TFV4 mini tank.

So, I start by removing the "burnt" coil, and rinsing it out with scalding hot water.
Next step, saturate the burnt coil with dish washing liquid and hold it up to the sink spout with pliers, using the pressurized scalding hot water to rinse out the dish soap.
I toss the burnt coil into a small bowl and squirt a bit of dish washing liquid onto the coil, then add scalding hot water until the coil is submerged and the water is all soapy.
I let it sit for about 24 hours before removing the coil and using pliars to rinse out the coil once more.
Once that is done, I let the coil soak in distilled water (distilled water is 100% pure with no minerals added) for about 24 hours.
After that, I pull them out and let them air dry for 24-48 hours. Once dry, I saturate them with my e-liquid of choice and get them prepped for vaping. They usually last another few days, at which point I throw them out.

I know, when a factory coil burns out, just buy a new one. But sometimes, I'm waiting on a coil delivery or just don't have the money for coils, so I keep the "recycled" ones handy for those emergency situations.

Thanks for reading :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep washing out factory coils went out with silica wicks.
Which could actually be cleaned and reused with a fair degree of success.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still got yards of silica.. And, I still eye things with mesh and silica in mind.. Mind you, cotton or rayon are usually "
Moarbetta"

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, so I thought I'd share on a little trick I learned for squeezing more life out of my factory Dual Clapton cores in my TFV4 mini tank.

So, I start by removing the "burnt" coil, and rinsing it out with scalding hot water.
Next step, saturate the burnt coil with dish washing liquid and hold it up to the sink spout with pliers, using the pressurized scalding hot water to rinse out the dish soap.
I toss the burnt coil into a small bowl and squirt a bit of dish washing liquid onto the coil, then add scalding hot water until the coil is submerged and the water is all soapy.
I let it sit for about 24 hours before removing the coil and using pliars to rinse out the coil once more.
Once that is done, I let the coil soak in distilled water (distilled water is 100% pure with no minerals added) for about 24 hours.
After that, I pull them out and let them air dry for 24-48 hours. Once dry, I saturate them with my e-liquid of choice and get them prepped for vaping. They usually last another few days, at which point I throw them out.

I know, when a factory coil burns out, just buy a new one. But sometimes, I'm waiting on a coil delivery or just don't have the money for coils, so I keep the "recycled" ones handy for those emergency situations.

Thanks for reading :)
I've never recycled a factory coil. I wouldn't use dish soap if I were to try. I saw a post that made sense somewhat, about cleaning them. Put the coil in boiling water to get it hot. Take it out of the pot with pliers. Then put it directly under cold water in the sink. I know it works for kanthal coils in a rebuildable. That's the method I'd be inclined to try if I had to.

People have tried all sorts of things. Even using isopropyl alcohol, vodka, ect. I dont like the idea of all those other elements in the wicking material. That's just me though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah,, But, it worked - and worked well.. NOT as well as cotton/rayon or SS mesh, but damn - it worked well in those places where we had an issue getting into the coil. (and mesh did it better, but doesn't like to bend).

Never wanted to mess with rolled mesh wicks or any other mesh wicks for that matter.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@The Cromwell - HEY! I had to buy some to rescreen the fresh-press anyway! ;-)

(And it's still the cleanest 'flavor' of wick - as in: no flavor at all and no muting, either ;-)

VU Sponsors