Become a Patron!

rDNA vs HCigar Mini 30 watt

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all,

I decided to grab the HCigar Mini 30w to see how it stacked up against the Vaporshark rDNA. My disclaimer is that I am not particularly advanced so I don't have technical details, but I did want to show the basic variances.

Packaging: Of course the Vaporshark comes in its lovely hard plastic case while the HCigar Mini DNA30 comes in a zipper case.
nvwcb9.jpg
vmrfas.jpg

Size: The Mini30 (as I dub it) is taller than the Vaporshark, but more narrow
awdfmu.jpg
691860.jpg

As you can see from the 2nd pic above, the juice wells are much smaller while the 510 connection is larger and is not spring loaded. That will probably be an issue for some atomizers. Because of this, some tanks won't sit flush, unlike the Vaporshark:
5kqc7b.jpg
2dqn86h.jpg

Front view: Buttons are obviously different. The buttons on the Mini30 aren't centered correctly, mainly because it looks like they did measurements without the back cover. If they had taken that into account they would be more ideally located. I believe the Mini30 is basing the fire button off of the design of the original Vaporshark DNA20.
2qmotjs.jpg
wl3sdg.jpg

Inside: To my surprise when I opened the Mini30 I found a Sony VTC4 inside. This means that you can change the battery if you need it! You can see how clean the Vaporshark is. I found that there is a special board that the DNA plugs into, so that the fire button isn't actually a whole button, but a cover of some sort that will press an on board button (with that second board, I actually see two fire buttons available). The up and down buttons are also covers to press the onboard buttons.

The Mini30 is a complete mess in there, but you can see that all of the components are separate. I wonder if you'll be able to pull the stuff out to troubleshoot or replace items. The up and down buttons are our favorite tactile with round actuator buttons. They really need to come up with a neater procedure...
e9vq5w.jpg

Initial performance: I am not a sub-ohmer so I just tested based on my kayfun. The coil I used in it was 2.3 ohms on the Provari and Zmax, but 2.4 on the ohm meter. I'm not sure which could be considered the most accurate. The first pic is the Vaporshark:
f2juyq.jpg
iy349w.jpg

The last thing to mention would be the USB charging. The Vaporshark has that lovely button light up when charging. I don't know if the color changes when fully charged because I was too impatient:
20r4cp2.jpg

The Mini30 has the charging port on the back. There is a small hole drilled above it that seems to indicate that an LED should light up when charging but that's not the case. It doesn't light up at all. When I looked inside it I don't see an additional LED. There is one on the USB board, but it is to the right of the port, so is not visible when plugged in. Unfortunately, the only way to know it's fully charged is to keep checking the display.
5arpf7.jpg

Price: The rDNA is $189 or so, while I paid $85 for this plus shipping from Ebay. I didn't see that link until I'd already placed a bid, so it ended up being a little more expensive than it might have been.

I'm going to try using both this week at work to see how they perform. I think the Mini30 may be an option for those with smaller budgets and those who don't vape at high watts since I had heard the clone DNA chips don't actually make it to 30 watts.

Edit: one thing I forgot to mention is that I had read in another post somewhere that you can't change the display orientation. You actually can. It does have the option for both left and right facing which is great since I vape with my left hand. I haven't tried much else other than orientation, locking, and locking the power input.

db3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for this comparison... that off center fire button would drive me nuts, but its slimmer profile might make it a little more comfortable in the hand - certainly looks like an ok alternative to the chana box (same price, more or less, and most likely the same chip) for whoever doesn't want to spend the $ for a legit DNA.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would the MVP 2 be totally humongous right next to these tiny little things...?

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can't find a picture but according to the dimensions the MVP is taller by about an inch, but thinner (barely).

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Today was day one of testing. Strangely, the off center button didn't bother me when I didn't look at it. Vaping left handed it seems to be in a pretty natural place. Tomorrow I'll be taking the Vaporshark to work to see how it performs!

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That clone is a mess inside LOL!!! Omg..

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Holy cow, that thing is tiny! The rDNA is just a tad bigger, no?
took the words right out my mouth! I didn't realize there was that big of a difference in size.

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, and I don't think they bothered to measure any of their wires - but, if it ever fries, I have a nice enclosure for an authentic DNA chip!

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The VS rDNA is so damn cool. I wish I could justify the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For size comparison.
My VaporShark DNA30 VaporShark rDNA30 and Hana V3

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right?! I want one now too! Any clones for that out there? :)

EDIT:
Of course there is... or will be. Just came across the HCigar post. :)

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Scuba-Matt - do you have an MVP 2 you can throw in to the group pic? :)

Oh, and a couple quarter turns would be nice too! LOL
I have a couple of them. But they are being used by friends trying to quit smoking. When I get the chance I'll take a pic of the MVP next to the two VaporSharks.

Rhody

Member For 4 Years
Don't want to be a downer, but just saw this video on the DNA 35 BY HCIGAR CATCHES FIRE....worth watching. Would hate to think someone might get hurt with this device

Last edited:

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the vid, Rhody. Will scratch that one of the list of possibilities.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi all,

I decided to grab the HCigar Mini 30w to see how it stacked up against the Vaporshark rDNA. My disclaimer is that I am not particularly advanced so I don't have technical details, but I did want to show the basic variances.

Packaging: Of course the Vaporshark comes in its lovely hard plastic case while the HCigar Mini DNA30 comes in a zipper case.
nvwcb9.jpg
vmrfas.jpg

Size: The Mini30 (as I dub it) is taller than the Vaporshark, but more narrow
awdfmu.jpg
691860.jpg

As you can see from the 2nd pic above, the juice wells are much smaller while the 510 connection is larger and is not spring loaded. That will probably be an issue for some atomizers. Because of this, some tanks won't sit flush, unlike the Vaporshark:
5kqc7b.jpg
2dqn86h.jpg

Front view: Buttons are obviously different. The buttons on the Mini30 aren't centered correctly, mainly because it looks like they did measurements without the back cover. If they had taken that into account they would be more ideally located. I believe the Mini30 is basing the fire button off of the design of the original Vaporshark DNA20.
2qmotjs.jpg
wl3sdg.jpg

Inside: To my surprise when I opened the Mini30 I found a Sony VTC4 inside. This means that you can change the battery if you need it! You can see how clean the Vaporshark is. I found that there is a special board that the DNA plugs into, so that the fire button isn't actually a whole button, but a cover of some sort that will press an on board button (with that second board, I actually see two fire buttons available). The up and down buttons are also covers to press the onboard buttons.

The Mini30 is a complete mess in there, but you can see that all of the components are separate. I wonder if you'll be able to pull the stuff out to troubleshoot or replace items. The up and down buttons are our favorite tactile with round actuator buttons. They really need to come up with a neater procedure...
e9vq5w.jpg

Initial performance: I am not a sub-ohmer so I just tested based on my kayfun. The coil I used in it was 2.3 ohms on the Provari and Zmax, but 2.4 on the ohm meter. I'm not sure which could be considered the most accurate. The first pic is the Vaporshark:
f2juyq.jpg
iy349w.jpg

The last thing to mention would be the USB charging. The Vaporshark has that lovely button light up when charging. I don't know if the color changes when fully charged because I was too impatient:
20r4cp2.jpg

The Mini30 has the charging port on the back. There is a small hole drilled above it that seems to indicate that an LED should light up when charging but that's not the case. It doesn't light up at all. When I looked inside it I don't see an additional LED. There is one on the USB board, but it is to the right of the port, so is not visible when plugged in. Unfortunately, the only way to know it's fully charged is to keep checking the display.
5arpf7.jpg

Price: The rDNA is $189 or so, while I paid $85 for this plus shipping from Ebay. I didn't see that link until I'd already placed a bid, so it ended up being a little more expensive than it might have been.

I'm going to try using both this week at work to see how they perform. I think the Mini30 may be an option for those with smaller budgets and those who don't vape at high watts since I had heard the clone DNA chips don't actually make it to 30 watts.

Edit: one thing I forgot to mention is that I had read in another post somewhere that you can't change the display orientation. You actually can. It does have the option for both left and right facing which is great since I vape with my left hand. I haven't tried much else other than orientation, locking, and locking the power input.
Nice review all that hot glue mess all over that HCigar mini is a mess... yuck

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't want to be a downer, but just saw this video on the DNA 35 BY HCIGAR CATCHES FIRE....worth watching. Would hate to think someone might get hurt with this device

Wow - how awful. I think mine is an older version (30w not 35) but I'm glad I have the Vaporshark in hand! Will be tearing this apart to see if the case can be salvaged for mod making. If I can find someone to make a pcb for the DNA30 I can at least still get a mod out of it - just with a lot less glue and wires!

Edit: I also posted the link on their Facebook page, hopefully someone sees that!

Edit 2: I looked at close up pictures of the rDNA's inside. It looks like those 2 points on the board are covered by something yellow - maybe to keep it from sparking against the screw post?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors