Become a Patron!

Quit Smoking/Dipping now vaping. Question for former smokers.

I have a question for anyone here who has smoked for a long time before quitting and going to vaping.

Background: I smoked for 17 years, dipped also, so my lungs are probably most certainly tarred as hell. I quit smoking and went to vaping 3 weeks ago. Haven't had a cigarette since. I went through a minor withdrawal phase since I'm only on 3mg juice and was a half pack and a tin a day user.

Question:

I'm feeling a tightness in my chest. Lightheadedness, nausea, breathing feels shallow but isn't, and feel panicked. This really set in about four days ago.

I understand these are commonplace for symptoms of withdrawal. But can I really still be having them when I'm getting nicotine from the vape?

Is the chest thing my lungs clearing out?

Thanks,

Dave

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU!
Part of what you're feeling is definitely withdrawals from nicotine. It wouldn't hurt to maybe keep a juice or two with a higher nic content on standby to get you through the rough patches. BUT...you're also withdrawing from the many other chemicals in tobacco cigarettes, the MAO inhibitors that keep one smoking, and it can take awhile to rid your system of those. Could very well be the reason for everything you're feeling while your body adjusts to being "poison free." It can get rough, but you've done yourself a service in quitting and are doing a great job!

Welcome to VU!
Part of what you're feeling is definitely withdrawals from nicotine. It wouldn't hurt to maybe keep a juice or two with a higher nic content on standby to get you through the rough patches. BUT...you're also withdrawing from the many other chemicals in tobacco cigarettes, the MAO inhibitors that keep one smoking, and it can take awhile to rid your system of those. Could very well be the reason for everything you're feeling while your body adjusts to being "poison free." It can get rough, but you've done yourself a service in quitting and are doing a great job!

Thanks Teresa,

Yeah I certainly went through the nic withdrawal to some extent. The first week I spent in a total brain haze. I mean, I literally felt stupid. My brain was just off.

Anyway, yeah I guess with all the other shit in there (cigarette smoke) my body is probably just feeling weird since I'm no longer poisoning it constantly.

This whole experience is honestly driving me nuts. But I'm 100% on quitting. It honestly helps just getting a response to my question and some reassurance. So thank you!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping is saving my life as far as I'm concerned.
A zillion thumbs up to that one! It does take time, and I know how cliche-ish that sounds but it's true. I smoked for 35 years and when I first started vaping four years ago I could relate to the brain fog. It was like trying to put any thought through mud, couldn't think straight for the life of me, and that took a few months to get through. But your determination will get you through this. I tell anyone I've helped get started that vaping is not a "magic cure." If the mind set isn't there, it won't be any more successful than any other quit attempt. But it is IMO the best method because you aren't completely cutting yourself off from the nicotine you've come to depend on for so long. You can actually control the amount you're getting and wean yourself, therefore beating the addiction at your own pace. If you can get through the initial rough patches, you're home free. ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some of what you're describing sounds like how I react to juices that are higher in VG. When I vape juice that has too much VG in it, my chest feels heavy, like I'm coming down with a bad cold, breathing almost hurts and it does feel like I can't get a deep breath. I discovered that juices that are higher in PG work better for me. When I started vaping, a lot of juices were a 50/50 blend of both. These days, you see more and more higher VG ones.

Not saying that you have a sensitivity to VG, but it's certainly a possibility. Do you know the ratios of the ones you're using?

I've got mostly 30/70 PG/VG san a few 100% VG juices. There doesn't seem to be a difference between the two. Also, this feeling doesn't really hit me until nighttime when I'm winding down, watching TV or gaming. I'll certainly try a 50/50 mic and see if that changes anything and let you know.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've got mostly 30/70 PG/VG san a few 100% VG juices. There doesn't seem to be a difference between the two. Also, this feeling doesn't really hit me until nighttime when I'm winding down, watching TV or gaming. I'll certainly try a 50/50 mic and see if that changes anything and let you know.
If you do, I'm certainly curious to know! Just thought it was worth mentioning. When I was feeling that way, another member suggested I experiment, so since I DIY, I decided to give it a shot. Had all the supplies on hand, so why not?

Not that I'm suggesting you go high PG, not very many people like theirs that way, plus it can pack a throat hit. My happy spot is at about 75 PG. Happier lungs, and I really don't mind the throat hit at all. If you don't level out, you might even consider getting checked out by your doc, just to rule out anything.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum, BTW :vino:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
An alternative to pg for thinner juice is distilled water. Just add 3 drops into your tank to thin the juice and see if it helps. Do not use tap or bottled drinking water, get plain distilled water.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have a question for anyone here who has smoked for a long time before quitting and going to vaping.

Background: I smoked for 17 years, dipped also, so my lungs are probably most certainly tarred as hell. I quit smoking and went to vaping 3 weeks ago. Haven't had a cigarette since. I went through a minor withdrawal phase since I'm only on 3mg juice and was a half pack and a tin a day user.

Question:

I'm feeling a tightness in my chest. Lightheadedness, nausea, breathing feels shallow but isn't, and feel panicked. This really set in about four days ago.

I understand these are commonplace for symptoms of withdrawal. But can I really still be having them when I'm getting nicotine from the vape?

Is the chest thing my lungs clearing out?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, some withdrawal symptoms happen weeks after stopping tobacco. Cigarettes have toxins in them that cause the body to produce antitoxins - after the toxins stop coming in, the body keeps making the anti-toxins for weeks afterward (forgot how long exactly), they build up and make us feel yucky. The body will calm down shortly, don't worry

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Also, heat and nicotine cause the air sacs in lungs to temporarily lose elasticity, causing shallower breaths and a tight feeling - if you are vaping more often and/or taking longer puffs, it makes that more pronounced

Would you say you've been vaping more the past 4 days?

I've been puffing away pretty intensely the past week yeah. Stressors have had me at wits end and I had my first real craving for a cigarette since I quit. (I did not cave in and isit now a month to the day since I quit.)

So yeah, I've been heavier on it lately. I did get myself some 0mg juice and when I'm in that chain vape mood I've been using that and it seems to relax the feeling. So I'm pretty sure it's the nicotine at this point along with the fact my lungs are cleaning out.

One of my friends suggested I try an RDA since I can get the good flavor at lower wattages than with a normal tank atomizer. He thinks that'll hell as well until my lungs heal more and I can fully adjust to vaping.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to experiment with pretty much everything suggested and see what really helps. Maybe all it needs is time in the long run.

One thing I do know, I'm NOT going back to tobacco.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I've been puffing away pretty intensely the past week yeah. Stressors have had me at wits end and I had my first real craving for a cigarette since I quit. (I did not cave in and isit now a month to the day since I quit.)

So yeah, I've been heavier on it lately. I did get myself some 0mg juice and when I'm in that chain vape mood I've been using that and it seems to relax the feeling. So I'm pretty sure it's the nicotine at this point along with the fact my lungs are cleaning out.

One of my friends suggested I try an RDA since I can get the good flavor at lower wattages than with a normal tank atomizer. He thinks that'll hell as well until my lungs heal more and I can fully adjust to vaping.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to experiment with pretty much everything suggested and see what really helps. Maybe all it needs is time in the long run.

One thing I do know, I'm NOT going back to tobacco.
Congrats on the month. It does get easier with time.

VU Sponsors