Quick Pulsing Question

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I pulse my coil to clean and rewick it seems to smoke from what looks like the positive post. All the juice is visibly gone. Now, is it possible for juice to get down the post or am I burning my insulator? I've only had this dripper for a month or so and I do not use it every day so it seems kind of fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dry-burning a coil is hard on the insulator. If you do it, wait as long as possible between pulses to let everything cool down.

Alternatively, you can use the heat-dunk-anneal method, which cleans the coil(s) and the atomizer instantly, doesn't require cooking the rest of the atomizer, and makes the coils last longer:

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
With this thing being so new it seems kind of fast that's it could be the insulator. I have only done about 2 or 3 builds on it. With maybe 2 or 3 dry burns and rewicking total.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It depends on what sort of insulator there is in your particular atomizer, and how long / how many times you pulse the coil to clean it. Some insulators don't like being heated up at high temperature, and you'd be surprised how high the posts' temperature gets when you dry-burn a coil. For what it's worth, I had a cheap genny in which I ruined the insulator at the base of the center post after only two 10s pulses: it gets that hot that quickly.

Having said that, I doubt your insulator is burning: I'd expect it to start melting before getting to the point of smoking. Did you see it change aspect?

Finally, when I used to do full dry-burns to clean my coils, I did notice that they seem to keep emitting a tiny amount of smoke long after they seemed 100% clean. It'd take many pusles for the coils to get red and nothing else - so many that I quickly stopped worrying about that remaining smoke after the coil seemed clean enough, to avoid overheating the atty for nothing. But it was the coil itself that emitted that smoke, not the post.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The smoke seems to be coming from the positive post hole. Also, when I take a drag I can hear it sizzling. Just don't want to cause a short on my beloved sigelei 100+

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do plan on attempting to removing it tomorrow and see if I can clean it. Maybe there is some liquid build up in there. I have a tobeco plume veil 1.5

VU Sponsors