Question for you electronic mod guru's

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a device that when i press the fire button it fires fine but when i release the button you can tell it's still receiving some current since you can still take hits off your topper but they are much less intense .

If you put your ear up to mouthpiece on your topper (without pressing the fire button ) you can hear a faint hiss so the button is not shutting it completely off .

This really only happens when i hit the fire button and then release it

Any ideas

Thanks

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
sounds like a bad switch...I'd return it to the manufacturer for replacement.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it is residual heat left in the coil still making vapor

Some of my rigs (since I vape at 8 watts on my genesis RBA's) take a few seconds to "warm up" then I hit it and let button go...some times the chimney drip tip will keep dumping out vapor (and thru the air hole) like a busted chimney, makes you think it's still running, my kid even said hey dad it's still smoking [then informed him it wasn't smoke :p]

Some of my APV's do run for about 1/2 second after I release the button too

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think it is residual heat left in the coil still making vapor

Some of my rigs (since I vape at 8 watts on my genesis RBA's) take a few seconds to "warm up" then I hit it and let button go...some times the chimney drip tip will keep dumping out vapor (and thru the air hole) like a busted chimney, makes you think it's still running, my kid even said hey dad it's still smoking [then informed him it wasn't smoke :p]

Some of my APV's do run for about 1/2 second after I release the button too

No this is definitely not cool down time , it just started happening about a week ago , never did this for the first few months and i am not running anything different .

Sounds like the consensus is a bad switch , thanks everybody.

r2beat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No this is definitely not cool down time , it just started happening about a week ago , never did this for the first few months and i am not running anything different .

Sounds like the consensus is a bad switch , thanks everybody.
Can we get a little bit more info? Like the mod and wattage?
Also is there a reason why you dont think it could be the coils cooling down? My mechs tend to alwaya do that when I build stupid low but I can tell its just cooling off. Sometimes I can take another 2-3 hits while still exhaling vapor albeit it is much smaller.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can we get a little bit more info? Like the mod and wattage?
Also is there a reason why you dont think it could be the coils cooling down? My mechs tend to alwaya do that when I build stupid low but I can tell its just cooling off. Sometimes I can take another 2-3 hits while still exhaling vapor albeit it is much smaller.

The fact that it just started happening and never did before and no changes in coil or wattages was made makes it pretty apparent don't you think? This is not a situation where you can take a few more hits after you release the button , it stays on and you can still take a hit 10 min later without hitting the button.

I have never had a coil take time to cool down , they have always cooled down almost instantly and you cannot get any hit after you release the button. I don't run high wattage and i like cooler vapes .

Anyways thanks for your time

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Put an inline meter on it will validate whether its still passing current or not. But if it's still hot 10 min later I would have to agree you probably do have current passing through the atty. I didn't see where you stated the type of devices your having the problem with but if it's a mechanical it could be just a stuck switch or debri in it shorting it out. If it's a regulated it could be the same + problems in the on board electronics.

I would also think your battery would be hot if it's passing current for a straight 10 min, even with a high resistance atty that will definitely discharge a good battery super fast and heat it up.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If its hot 10 minutes after releasing the firing button. Take the battery out and don't use the device until you resolve the issue.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you don't have the equipment to check for shorts, take it to your local B&M and have them look at it.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Put an inline meter on it will validate whether its still passing current or not. But if it's still hot 10 min later I would have to agree you probably do have current passing through the atty. I didn't see where you stated the type of devices your having the problem with but if it's a mechanical it could be just a stuck switch or debri in it shorting it out. If it's a regulated it could be the same + problems in the on board electronics.

I would also think your battery would be hot if it's passing current for a straight 10 min, even with a high resistance atty that will definitely discharge a good battery super fast and heat it up.

It's an iPV regulated device.

If its hot 10 minutes after releasing the firing button. Take the battery out and don't use the device until you resolve the issue.

I haven't had a battery in it for weeks , not using it at all now . Last time i left a battery in it the battery was completely dead (drained) the next time i picked it up.

If you don't have the equipment to check for shorts, take it to your local B&M and have them look at it.

I only have a standard multimeter and i am not too inclined with it , my local B&M is even more clueless than i am unfortunately.

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's an iPV regulated device.

I haven't had a battery in it for weeks , not using it at all now . Last time i left a battery in it the battery was completely dead (drained) the next time i picked it up.

I only have a standard multimeter and i am not too inclined with it , my local B&M is even more clueless than i am unfortunately.

Shouldn't the IPV's still be under warranty? To test with your multimeter all you have to do is take the top off your atty, place one of your leads on the positive post and the other on either negative post, set your multimeter to 20 vdc if its not autoranging. Fire the IPV, take your finger off the fire switch and you should see the voltage drop to 0. If it doesn't your device is malfunctioning.

VU Sponsors