Become a Patron!

Question for all VU gun enthusiasts

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I know there's another shooting thread but I can't find it and don't feel like searching.

So I sent my Springfield 1911 slide to Novak for new night sights and have the slide milled for the proper cuts. Been wanting to get night sights on the gun for almost 20 years. I received the slide back. Machining looked good, and sights looked great. I was happy until I took it into a dark room.

10 points to whomever can tell me what's wrong with the picture other than bad photography.

2020-06-02_12-23-59 by Wayne, on Flickr

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
A winner on the first try. Looks like I get to test out Novak's customer service. Already have an email sent. We'll see in the morning.
Ok I gotta ask: What can I get for the 10 points I won? Also does the 10 points have any cash value? Hopefully I can redeem those points for a pistol, one with all three dots visible. I’d hate to send it back although I have confidence in DonBaldy customer service. :vapemail:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I know there's another shooting thread but I can't find it and don't feel like searching.

So I sent my Springfield 1911 slide to Novak for new night sights and have the slide milled for the proper cuts. Been wanting to get night sights on the gun for almost 20 years. I received the slide back. Machining looked good, and sights looked great. I was happy until I took it into a dark room.

10 points to whomever can tell me what's wrong with the picture other than bad photography.

2020-06-02_12-23-59 by Wayne, on Flickr
You should have gotten Trijicon ..... Ha.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should have gotten Trijicon ..... Ha.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Funny you say that. My original plan was Trijicon, but I ran into several obstacles. First was the front sight. My 1911 is an older Springfield with a staked in front sight. I was having trouble finding a local gunsmith to do any work. Most of them were so backed up they weren't taking new work or the prices were outrageous. Trijicon and other models of sights that can be had for a staked in front sight come in either a narrow or wide tenon. SPringfiled used a medium tenon. So either the sight tennon gets filed down or the slide gets milled. So if the slide had to get milled might as well have the both front and rear done. Novak was reasonable and with a good reputation and they do all of the work. Trijicon would require a local gunsmith.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny you say that. My original plan was Trijicon, but I ran into several obstacles. First was the front sight. My 1911 is an older Springfield with a staked in front sight. I was having trouble finding a local gunsmith to do any work. Most of them were so backed up they weren't taking new work or the prices were outrageous. Trijicon and other models of sights that can be had for a staked in front sight come in either a narrow or wide tenon. SPringfiled used a medium tenon. So either the sight tennon gets filed down or the slide gets milled. So if the slide had to get milled might as well have the both front and rear done. Novak was reasonable and with a good reputation and they do all of the work. Trijicon would require a local gunsmith.
More reasons to buy another 1911 :) then throw trijicons on that one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried several from Big sights to different brands and The Trijicon with an orange ring and green trillium was my pick for under 25 yards.... I have a blacked out rear sight (U-shape), I really focus on that front sight day or night.

You can get the thinner Trijicon XR which is thinner for longer shots on the front sight.

I recommend Trijicon because of the brightness and clarity (they are so easy to pick)....... If you don't like them you can always sell them for the same price you paid.

Use what's available to you.... But finding the right sight was one of the most important components to better my shooting..... And man did it improve.

These are shot with a Glock 27 at 25 yards..... Using a Remington bonded Golden Sabre.... And (5) were rapid fire shots...That's an 8" inch target and using a 15+1 Glock 23 magazine.....

706ebfc76ff82335f26497c2dc9a1d6e.jpg

709cfb74e8ae07944dc3cc3930094a8b.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors