Become a Patron!

Question *FLAVOR CHASER* Build tips & tricks

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure, the RDA you're building on determines a lot (airflow / post orientation / quantity, top cap shape, it's overall design). Your juice plays a big role, duh. However, with rebuildables, you can optimize your experience and tailor it to your desire.

- Before you read ahead, these ideas are loosely based off what I've heard and/or thought of without much testing.
- I am looking for ideas / input / feedback --- I want to compile them into a sticky / giant thread for people to learn and share ideas

HOW DO YOU GET THE BEST FLAVOR POSSIBLE?

A)List what atomizers you use / their builds
B) Explain the specifics - why I created this thread
(relative to RDA)
-- ie: Wicking style, length, thickness, how it's threaded
-- ie: Coil orientation, positioning relative to RDA posts / walls / airflow, how high off the deck etc.
-- ie: What is it that makes your build produce better flavor than others???

------------------------------------------------

Some basic theory that I've thought of while on break ----

1. When positioning a coil, it should be situated between your airflow and drip tip whenever possible. So, if you were to imagine a straight line, the coil would land between them.With a standard 3 post design / side air intake RDA, should you make sure the the coils are towards the top of the airflow inlets and as close to the wall as possible?

2. If cloud size isn't a top priority, should you aim for a smaller coil diameter so that air can travel around the entire coil with ease?

3. Less cotton the better. Just dense enough for a slight inner coil resistance, fluffy / untwisted, and long enough to lay the drip well. With certain coils, adding more cotton-to-coil surface area (outside of the coil, ie: tuck underneath - touching bottom of coil) can cause issues with dry spots / burning. Juice gets vaporized quicker and doesn't feed evenly if it's being vaporized at multiple areas. Speculation but it makes sense in my head.

4. Aim for coil surface area. The higher the better seems to be the trend here, with parallel / twisted builds becoming widely popular. For FLAVOR junkies, is this true? At what point are coils too long and does it interfere with wicking?

------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping that there are others like me that just want the best flavor possible and will keep returning to this thread to share their next biggest and brighest idea.

All feedback is welcome!

001_tongue.gif

Bryan

(posted here and elsewhere to compile the most info)

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find the flat tip drip tips provide less vapor and more flavor. also closing down the airflow will provide less vapor but more flavor. my theory on this is that you are sucking juice through the drip tip that's why you get more flavor but that is just my theory.

I don't own a magma but will be ordering one to build an 18350 flavor bomb.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not just about the length of the drip tip, it's also about the distance of the drip tip from the coil.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not just about the length of the drip tip, it's also about the distance of the drip tip from the coil.
should it be closer or further? I guess the only way to get it closer is to shorten the cap and build your coils as high as possible? I wouldn't know how to change the distance of the drip tip from the coil.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The shorter the better, that's one of the reasons that RDAs are better then RTAs.
Also some say that a dome shaped chamber improves flavor.

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Fellas, I'm not talking about buying a different RDA, modifying an RDA to reduce the chamber or swapping drip tips. Tightening down an AFC ring will boost flavor, yes.

The gist of this thread is building coils and wicks to maximize the flavor in what you currently have, subjects that aren't talked about nearly as much.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think some atomizers are just built in a fashion that no matter where you put the coil it will give you maximum flavor or maximum vapor with limitations to design. not much you can do but the things we have mentioned. like the magma, it just ends up placing the coil in a place where you get maximum flavor. the top cap is domed and has a reduced chamber. the only difference I have found with making coils from 1/8" drill bit to 2.2mm drill bit was better wicking. changing thee way I place the cotton doesn't do anything for flavor either. sorry. get a magma and flat mouth drip tip, max PG and close down the AFC. that's all there is to it.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The shorter the better, that's one of the reasons that RDAs are better then RTAs.
Also some say that a dome shaped chamber improves flavor.
so with this method, a nano RBA/ RTA will have better flavor than it's full sized bigger brother? interesting. I should do some comparison.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great thread. I've been known to chase a cloud or two, but i learned pretty much all the ins and outs of it already so from now on i'll be shifting my focus to flavor. Clapton coils produce amazing flavor, and the smaller gauge you use seems to produce even better flavor. Smaller outside wire, the one you wrap around the core that is.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using micro coils for a long time, but for a while now iv'e switched to macro coils, they seem to preform better, heat up faster and provide better wicking.
I also noticed that twisted coils provide better flavor (higher surface area).

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OP Here. With my Mutation X being my least used atty, I decided to use the guidelines that I came up with during a break. Flavor was always disappointing compared to my veritas and magma. So I developed this build to restrict the airflow a bit and while still using it fully wide open, it provides a super nice flavorful vape, rivaling the Veritas. I knew that build can conquer all!!!

Check it out!

https://flic.kr/p/qB3Trw

Coils nearly touching the outside wall of the atomizer. Sooo tasty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wicking plays just as much of a role as the coil does. For the best flavor, minimal wicking should be used IMO so the air can circulate / pass around the coil as much as possible.

If you really don't think your build influences your flavor, then I suggest you start experimenting with more builds =]

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i find that chamber size affects flavor more than anything. this is, of course, assuming your coil is built properly, positioned properly, and wicked properly. meaning, a simple micro/macro coil, positioned directly in front of the air hole, with a wick of even density and not overly snug or overly long. once those simple steps are accomplished, having a small chamber is really all you need. thats been my experience anyway.

something like an Anima for example has a very restricted build area. but youre vastly rewarded by the exponential flavor. the air holes are just large enough to lung-hit. thats the second most important factor for flavor IMO. which is really quite simple as to why. air has no flavor. mix a bunch of 'no flavor' in with your flavorful vapor and boom its "watered down". thats my opinion on the matter anyway. ive struck a fantastic balance between flavor and vapor and the Anima is a shining example.

sure i like my magma and my veritas. flavor is awesome. but each lack a tiny chamber and quite honestly, the flavor is not as good as it can be. its close though. and for a lot of vapers, its not worth it to go tiny. the only reason why i do is because i have a mini nemi and the Anima hybrids to it. if i had no mini nemi, id be (and am) more than satisfied with my veritas, magma, origen, etc.

VU Sponsors