Become a Patron!

Question about recipe discovery...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
New vaper here! I'm looking to possibly get into DIY and have one glaring question:

I find myself thinking of smells and/or flavors and how those would translate to a successful e-Juice. I'm wondering whether creating something new is experimentation, or if there is some kind of fudged science to it. For example, my aunt makes killer Scotcharoos. Aside from oxygen, this might just be my favorite thing on the planet.

The (real) recipe main ingredients are Rice Crispies cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch.

In my mind, in order to be on the right track to "convert" this to an e-Juice, I would look at the percentages of each ingredient in the real recipe. For the sake of simple math, let's just say it boils down to:
  • 10% Rice Crispies
  • 20% Butterscotch
  • 20% Peanut Butter
  • 50% Chocolate
That accounts for 100% of the flavor of the real recipe. Is this how e-Juice is born?

L

LadyRed69

Something like that, however, please make sure you are using a e juice calculator.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New vaper here! I'm looking to possibly get into DIY and have one glaring question:

I find myself thinking of smells and/or flavors and how those would translate to a successful e-Juice. I'm wondering whether creating something new is experimentation, or if there is some kind of fudged science to it. For example, my aunt makes killer Scotcharoos. Aside from oxygen, this might just be my favorite thing on the planet.

The (real) recipe main ingredients are Rice Crispies cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch.

In my mind, in order to be on the right track to "convert" this to an e-Juice, I would look at the percentages of each ingredient in the real recipe. For the sake of simple math, let's just say it boils down to:
  • 10% Rice Crispies
  • 20% Butterscotch
  • 20% Peanut Butter
  • 50% Chocolate
That accounts for 100% of the flavor of the real recipe. Is this how e-Juice is born?

Yes, that's a good starting point. If you generally have an idea how much flavoring you like (for instance, I usually use FA flavors, so most of what I make is around 6-8%) then you could make a base flavor using your proportions and then try it at the percentage you think will work with your flavoring.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

I find myself thinking of smells and/or flavors and how those would translate to a successful e-Juice. I'm wondering whether creating something new is experimentation, or if there is some kind of fudged science to it. For example, my aunt makes killer Scotcharoos. Aside from oxygen, this might just be my favorite thing on the planet. ...Is this how e-Juice is born?

Sure it is! A scent, a photo, a written recipe, an actual taste of something - different people get inspiration from different places.

Some might think peanut butter, chocolate, butterscotch, rice... then play with each element separately to get the ideal version of each before combining them. Others will put the basic flavors together all at once, then tweak and add the details. Others will literally follow the written recipe using flavorings for each ingredient, like you suggest. Yet others sniff bottles of flavoring to find the right ones. Maybe they'd open a pb, choc, butterscotch, then wave a hand over them to smell them all together.

Sometimes I'll add drops of flavoring to a shotglass of water, just guessing what flavors might work, then smelling/tasting them together, worrying later about their relative strengths.

The recipe you linked to reminds me of a Butterfinger candy bar. The corn syrup and sugar would lead me to try marshmallow in there. So I read that as butterfingers + a little marshmallow. But other people will see it much differently.

When you mix a lot of recipes, you'll find certain combinations of flavors that work well for you, like mini-recipes. You might start to think of them and use them like that. To anyone watching you, it might seem like science (or sorcery, lol) when you do that.

Whatever inspires you and whatever methods you use to create your flavor combinations - it's never the "wrong" way. What works for you is right, and don't let anyone second-guess your approach.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Whatever inspires you and whatever methods you use to create your flavor combinations - it's never the "wrong" way. What works for you is right, and don't let anyone second-guess your approach.

That's good to know. Guess I had it in my head that there was a lot more science to it. I keep picturing Heisenberg having a fit because someone is screwing up the formula LOL!

I'm anxious to get started on some DIY juice, but I have a lot more homework ahead of me. Thanks!

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's good to know. Guess I had it in my head that there was a lot more science to it. I keep picturing Heisenberg having a fit because someone is screwing up the formula LOL!

I'm anxious to get started on some DIY juice, but I have a lot more homework ahead of me. Thanks!
Great reference!

vaporelse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

It is much like learning to cook. At first is seems like a guessing game or following a recipe, but as you gain experience, there is a certain science and flavor knowledge that emerges from it.

Just remember to start low and slow. A lot of flavoring are completely ruined by adding just a few drops too much.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
How-to-sell-like-your-product-like-Heisenberg.png

VU Sponsors