Question about Cinnamon percentages

Kiaya611

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello,

I have been vaping for nearly 2 years now and have gotten into making my own juices. I have my Menthol/Peppermint juice down where I like it. I am having HUGE problems when I use TFAs Cinnamon Red Hots and Cinnamon. In my test batch, the flavor is great. When I change it to a 30ml batch (using the ecigvape.com calculator, the sweetness that I add is very good, but the cinnamon is clearly there, but while to sugar hits my tongue and that is where I taste it, the cinnamon flavors (this is very hard to describe...unless you have also experienced it) don't seem to hit my tongue. The only way I know to explain it is like if you coated a balloon with the cinnamon flavors and the put the balloon in your mouth, but is only touched the sides and roof of you mouth and a general "hollow" cinnamon flavor on my tongue.

It seems no matter what percentage of cinnamon type flavors I use, it feels empty (for lack of a better word). Like I said, I can taste cinnamon, but only on the periphery of my mouth and that is not at all satisfying.

I have used as high as 14% Red Hots and 6% cinnamon. The recipe is as follows (using that as just an example:

PG 7.65ml (25.5%)
VG 9ml (30%
Red Hots 4.2ml (14%)
Cinnamon 1.8ml (6%)
Sweetener 2.25ml (7.5%)

Not a lot goes into the ingredients, but I have tasted e-juice from ECBlend...their "Vannimin Hots" to be specific and it is GREAT!!!! I get the whole flavor on my tongue where it belongs and also it has all of the other attributes, like throat hit, vapor, flavor, etc.

I am at a loss. I use an ultrasonic cleaner and warm water to help steep the juice. I shake if like crazy. I have let it sit for as much as a week and although the flavor DID mature, it still feels "hollow" to me.

Any help or advice or examples of cinnamon based juice recipes that have worked would be great.
Thank you very much for your time.

Best wishes,

Steven

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's fine in the test but not in the bigger batch you need to see what you're doing differently. Do you use hot water and an ultrasonic on your test batch I'm betting you don't - heat isn't good for cinnamon flavors, so perhaps that's the issue?

Secondly are you absolutely sure you're getting the same percentages in the small batch as the bigger batch? Those flavoring levels are high enough that you might experience some muting due to flavor overload. 14% Red Hots is really high imo! Cramptholomew has a very good recipe in the recipes forum using TFA cinnamon red hots - I forget the name, but if you search under his name you should fine it.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a case of too much ends up to be too little.
20% TFA flavor and 7.5% sweetener is way to high.
Try to cut it in half.

I use Stevia at 1-2% and TFA cinnamon spice at 0.5%

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
nightshard has it right.. those are just too high..
i'd also think on getting some capellas crh, and use both crh this way:

5% tfa cinnamon red hot
3.5% cap cinnamon red hot
1.5% sweetener
and if you have it..
2% marshmallow (for fluffy)
.5% vanilla swirl (to make it a happy mix and help blend the 2 cinnamons together)
1% vanillin

that should give you a very nice cinnamon red hot candy/fireball

Kiaya611

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the information and the recipe. I will try making new batches. I will have to order the Cap CRH. I do have TFA Cinnamon as well, but I don't know if that will help or not in place of the Cap crh as I haven't bought their flavors yet.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the information and the recipe. I will try making new batches. I will have to order the Cap CRH. I do have TFA Cinnamon as well, but I don't know if that will help or not in place of the Cap crh as I haven't bought their flavors yet.

nopes not really.. if you do use it, i wouldn't take it over 1% and it wouldn't fit in this recipe..
fa cinnamon ceylon is much better, but those 2 (tfa cinnamon) are bakery flavors and not candy flavors..

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to clarify, TFA have 2 cinnamon flavors.
Cinnamon flavor 3-4%
Cinnamon spice (super concentrated) 0.5-1%

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
and this is why it's called diy.. if you choose to use this in a candy flavored juice.. it's up to you! :)

Kiaya611

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

5% tfa cinnamon red hot
1.5% sweetener
and if you have it..
.5% vanilla swirl (to make it a happy mix and help blend the 2 cinnamons together)
1% vanillin

Hi Smokey Blue,

I finally got my order of all of the ingredients that you recommended for the crh/Fireball recipe. I used my Drip Rig to test it and all of the flavors are EXTREMELY bland. I can't taste the sweetener or the crh. I steeped it in my ultrasonic cleaner for 30 mins.

Is this a flavor that needs to steep for a long time (weeks)? Please let me know you thoughts.

Thank you,

Steven

Kiaya611

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Smoky Blue,

I forgot to add the completed recipe. Here is is:

(100mg) Nicotine E-Liquid 3.6 ml 72 drops 12 %
PG 13.35 ml 267 drops 44.5 %
VG 9 ml 180 drops 30 %
TFA Cinnamon Red Hots 1.5 ml 30 drops 5 %
Capella's Red Hot Candy 1.05 ml 21 drops 3.5 %
Sucralose 0.45 ml 9 drops 1.5 %
Capella's Marshmallow 0.6 ml 12 drops 2 %
TFA Vanilla Swirl 0.15 ml 3 drops 0.5 %
TFA Vanillin 10% 0.3 ml 6 drops 1 %

Totals 30 ml 600 drops 100 %

12 mg Nicotine per ml - 70%PG - 30%VG

Two things:
1) Original amounts were probably too high. I can barely vape 10% Cinnamon Red Hots by itself, I almost cough and gag on that. 20% total cinnamons, whew.
2) Are you mixing via counting drips? If so, I'm uncomfortable with the repeatably of that method, and wonder if you really did duplicate the original 10ml batch. There is too much room in variability in using drops to measure for me to be comfortable with that method. A 30ml batch would add even more room for variability.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Mine is NOT 20% total cinnamon.. and it should not be muted, and no steeping is needed at all for mine..

make sure you are using a calculator..

5% tfa cinnamon red hot
1.5% sweetener
and if you have it..
1% vanillin

I just quoted my recipe.. this is mine, it works nicely, shake and vape. that is all..

Kiaya611

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Two things:
1) Original amounts were probably too high. I can barely vape 10% Cinnamon Red Hots by itself, I almost cough and gag on that. 20% total cinnamons, whew.
2) Are you mixing via counting drips? If so, I'm uncomfortable with the repeatably of that method, and wonder if you really did duplicate the original 10ml batch. There is too much room in variability in using drops to measure for me to be comfortable with that method. A 30ml batch would add even more room for variability.

I am using the ecigvape.com calculator. My cinnamons percentage total is 8.5%...not 20%...

I am at my wits end trying to figure this stuff out. I have been making e-liquid for a number of months now ...my main flavors are crh and what I call Sweet Peppermint. I still can't get that down either. I have read and read about DIY and even following an elaborate (for me) recipe (mine usually have about 3 flavorings). The weird thing is that usually when I test flavors on my drip atty, they taste good and then when I make up 30ml, everything is bland for some reason and I have explored sweetener measured my 10ths of ml starting a 0 and going all of the way up (by 10ths) to 2ml and it still isn't sweet enough. Same with the cinnamon...I get "peripheral flavor", but not "tongue flavor"...While you can taste cinnamon, it is on the cheeks and periphery of my mouth and not directly on my tongue like I have gotten from say ECBlend Vannimon Hots.

VU Sponsors