Become a Patron!

Question about batteries and amps

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been looking at batteries on Amazon and found the purple 18350 batteries. In the title, it says 35A. Can anyone tell me what the 35A part means? I thought it was amps at first, but it says it's still 10.5 amps.

thanks

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You won't find a 35 amp 18350 battery. There not made. If you do find one its a fake. 10.5 amp if its a purple Efest. Be very careful when buying batteries. Your better off buying from a trusted battery seller other than ebay or Amazon. Never buy a battery that has fire in the name. Here are the specs on the 18350 purple Efest.
Official specifications:
  • Capacity: 700mAh
  • Min. Capacity: 670mAh
  • Nominal voltage: 3,7V
  • Charge voltage: 4,2V ± 0,05
  • Discharge voltage: 3,0V
  • Max. discharge current: 11A (15C)
  • Max. charge current: 0,7A (1C)
  • Positive pole: Flat Top
  • Protection circuit (BMS): no (unprotected)
  • Chemical composition: LiMn (IMR)
  • Diameter: 18,25mm ± 0,1
  • Height: 34,75mm ± 0,1
  • Weight: 22g ± 1
  • Charging methode: CC-CV

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info and link. I really appreciate it. Another question... Is there a difference between the purple Efest batteries and the regular ones? So far the only difference I can see is the purple ones are rated 700mah and the regular ones are 800mah. Also, I've been buying batteries from Amazon from day 1 and haven't had a problem. If I can find a Panasonic 18350, would that be better?

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@jumper

www.rtdvapor.com is the best place to buy batteries/chargers - they are quick to ship and always give good prices.

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm checking the site out and found Efest Protected 18350's that are 900mah. I think I've heard people say that you should use protected batteires in mechs. Is that true?

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last post on this subject... and found out that the batteries I'm using are "safe chemistry", so I think I'm good. Thanks for the help!

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last post on this subject... and found out that the batteries I'm using are "safe chemistry", so I think I'm good. Thanks for the help!
Safe chemistry doesn't mean the battery can't vent if pushed past its limits. It just means its safer chemistry than a LI battery and less volatile.

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you explain what you mean about the safe chemistry batteries? Ventting and pushed past their limits? I'm guessing that the venting is to keep the battery from getting too hot, but don't understand about pushing them past their limits.

Hate to be a dummy about this. Hope you understand.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you explain what you mean about the safe chemistry batteries? Ventting and pushed past their limits? I'm guessing that the venting is to keep the battery from getting too hot, but don't understand about pushing them past their limits.

Hate to be a dummy about this. Hope you understand.

The safe limit is the batteries amp limit. Push a battery past its amp limit and it can go into thermal runaway, discharge into flames or turn your device into a pipe bomb.(venting) It can do this within a second or two. A safe battery is one with a circuit breaker built into it (Protected). like the Orbtronics batteries. Batteries with circuits will have a button top. But not all button top batteries have a circuit built in.
The Samsung ICR 18650 30B has a Built-in internal Safety Functional Layer. Not a circuit. Lots to read on batteries here. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks so much for the info and the link. I'm headed for the link right now. Also, I appreciate all your help. It sounds like the protected battries is the way to go for safety.

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update: Found some protected batteries, but also read where they're not recommended for sub ohm vaping. So that rules out protected batteries for me. Seems like safe chemistery is the way to go. Also did some reading about the 2 cent fuse. It's also not recommeded for sub ohm because it will keep tripping.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sonys are a hybrid I believe, but that's all I use in my mechs. I use green panasonics in my evic supreme and DNA mods.

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I searched the net and couldn't find any Sony 18350's. I always vape with 350's in short mode. If you know where I can find some, give me a link (please).

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I searched the net and couldn't find any Sony 18350's. I always vape with 350's in short mode. If you know where I can find some, give me a link (please).
AW or efest purple are your best bet for 18350's

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow! what a ton of information. Believe it or not, I've been looking at the purple Efest batteries and was going to give them a try. I can't get some until after the 1st of the month and when I do, I will tell you how they work out.

thanks a bunch...

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your welcome.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
.9 is as far as I would push that cell. Sub ohming a 18350 cell isn't recommended. It puts too much stress on the little cell.

VU Sponsors