Become a Patron!

Quest to Build a Box Mod

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
hey guys!

Well there it is... im going to (attempt) to build my own unreglated box mod!! ive decided for sure i want to build unregulated, dual 18650, but thats about it..

ive seen the Mike Kelly drive account here and have read just about all the pages there. there is a lot of information there however im sure theres more out there, i will be looking for more before i get down to it.

i'll be ordering parts soon i believe, my question right now is: batteries - series or parallel?

i can tell the differences on paper but maybe those here with experience vaping both could tell me which they prefer and why? this will be my first dual battery setup when im done and im excited for the finished product!!

Thanks guys!

Matt

PS i would like to document all of my steps to build this mod and keep it all contained to one thread for those that might be interested, would it be proper to do so in this thread?

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey guys!

Well there it is... im going to (attempt) to build my own unreglated box mod!! ive decided for sure i want to build unregulated, dual 18650, but thats about it..

ive seen the Mike Kelly drive account here and have read just about all the pages there. there is a lot of information there however im sure theres more out there, i will be looking for more before i get down to it.

i'll be ordering parts soon i believe, my question right now is: batteries - series or parallel?

i can tell the differences on paper but maybe those here with experience vaping both could tell me which they prefer and why? this will be my first dual battery setup when im done and im excited for the finished product!!

Thanks guys!

Matt

PS i would like to document all of my steps to build this mod and keep it all contained to one thread for those that might be interested, would it be proper to do so in this thread?

Cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. We have a thread that lot of info in and documented builds from members of this site if you want to post there, sure you could get some advice or help if you have questions. But this thread works too for your build :p

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/basic-mosfet-wiring.2361/page-10#post-493252

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. We have a thread that lot of info in and documented builds from members of this site if you want to post there, sure you could get some advice or help if you have questions. But this thread works too for your build

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/basic-mosfet-wiring.2361/page-10#post-493252
Oh shoot haha thank you!!! I just didn't see it!!! I guess I can just post up progress there instead then! Thanks man! Do you have an opinion on parallel v series?

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I personally prefer the parallel boxes. Series forces you to build at such high resistance, i'm not a fan. Some people love them though. Perhaps someone here has both and can explain what they like/don't like about each. I have a 1590G box that i LOVE, my 1590B has been collecting dust since i got it.
fc88e5425e541eb580eed0aca38fcd19.jpg
c45199e97c770ed2b3cea47bb853fb2c.jpg

Good luck on the project!

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh shoot haha thank you!!! I just didn't see it!!! I guess I can just post up progress there instead then! Thanks man! Do you have an opinion on parallel v series?

Im afraid Parallel vs series is really going to depend on your vaping style. I usually do all my boxes in parallel and build my attys accordingly. I like the longer battery life, thus parallel. I really wouldn't try and lead you one way or another, that is a personal decision. I did just build a PWM box and loving that because I can run it harder than a parallel set up but not as hard as a series. Perfect for me :O

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I personally prefer the parallel boxes. Series forces you to build at such high resistance, i'm not a fan. Some people love them though. Perhaps someone here has both and can explain what they like/don't like about each. I have a 1590G box that i LOVE, my 1590B has been collecting dust since i got it.
fc88e5425e541eb580eed0aca38fcd19.jpg
c45199e97c770ed2b3cea47bb853fb2c.jpg

Good luck on the project!
thats awesome your build looks great! I am already leaning towards the parallel setup however i'd like to see what others are saying, thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking you, ball park figure as to how much the setup cost you to make? I'm pricing it out and i think roughly around 50 for all the basic parts including fet and wires and all.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im afraid Parallel vs series is really going to depend on your vaping style. I usually do all my boxes in parallel and build my attys accordingly. I like the longer battery life, thus parallel. I really wouldn't try and lead you one way or another, that is a personal decision. I did just build a PWM box and loving that because I can run it harder than a parallel set up but not as hard as a series. Perfect for me :O
Yes i am definitely a subOhm builder, i like my builds around .4 but i've gone far lower, currently loving a .5 i am not interested in changing my builds up for the sake of less volt drop. Thank you.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
thats awesome your build looks great! I am already leaning towards the parallel setup however i'd like to see what others are saying, thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking you, ball park figure as to how much the setup cost you to make? I'm pricing it out and i think roughly around 50 for all the basic parts including fet and wires and all.
I bought it at the vapor expo in miami last week. It's incredibly well built.
871d12171f03c4714ca02eba5e8207af.jpg
here's a shot of both boxes so you can see the build designs. I've been working my way up to building one, the biggest reason i haven't is because i don't like the hammond enclosures. Until i find a different enclosure to build it in i'm just gonna use these two. Buzzbox Mods sells custom 3D printed battery sleds, i was gonna go with theirs and the Fatdaddyvapes 510. http://buzzboxmod.com/product/18650-battery-sleds/
My new box has a really tiny tactile switch which i thought i wasn't gonna like, but i actually love it. And looking inside the box you can see why they went with it compared to the typical anti-theft momentary switch. It takes up a fraction of the room inside

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I bought it at the vapor expo in miami last week. It's incredibly well built.
871d12171f03c4714ca02eba5e8207af.jpg
here's a shot of both boxes so you can see the build designs. I've been working my way up to building one, the biggest reason i haven't is because i don't like the hammond enclosures. Until i find a different enclosure to build it in i'm just gonna use these two. Buzzbox Mods sells custom 3D printed battery sleds, i was gonna go with theirs and the Fatdaddyvapes 510. http://buzzboxmod.com/product/18650-battery-sleds/
My new box has a really tiny tactile switch which i thought i wasn't gonna like, but i actually love it. And looking inside the box you can see why they went with it compared to the typical anti-theft momentary switch. It takes up a fraction of the room inside

Awesome, im reading through the thread posted above and definitely going to need a slim button. got lots of questions but not asking them until im done with the thread.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey guys!

Thanks guys!

Matt

PS i would like to document all of my steps to build this mod and keep it all contained to one thread for those that might be interested, would it be proper to do so in this thread
?

Yes and I will move the thread to new builders area as well

VU Sponsors